BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

After raining or car wash

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Marwan 
#1 ·
and I open my rear doors the water will pour into the car on the back seats about six inches into the car. I was going out with some friends last night and they wanted to ride with me to check it out because I bragging about great my new X5 is and as they both opened the back doors water ran off from the roof and just flows on the back seat, very embarrassing to say the least. So I guess I should just keep a towel on the rear floorboard when I plan to have anyone riding in the back so they can wipe the seat before they sit down or I can just say "sorry, can't take my car because it just rained or is raining". While I have really enjoyed the X5 for the last two months this is not cool at all.
Has anyone else experienced this with their unit?

#2 ·
yes i've had it on 2008 and same problem on 2011... bad design imho, although i dont know how they would make it better without installing rain gutters ;)

Worse yet if you have a car seat there!

#6 ·
Design change and add 5K to the price. Seriously, why did the folks you were trying to impress not get into the back seat through the side doors; why make them climb over the seat to sit down and with their "shoes on," scuff and mar the leather. Just curious.:dunno::D

#7 ·
Somehow you obviously misunderstood. They entered through the rear doors ( you know, right behind the one you go through to drive the car) not the rear hatch. :slap: :angel:

#17 ·
Q1. do those complaining of the issue have Roof rails fitted ???
Q2. @ "427" do you have roof rails fitted.

My car has Roof rails, and last Friday i was out in some real bad, heavy rain, but when my kids got out of the back, ......nothing !!

When I drive to work, I put my bag on the rear seat, so I open the rear door every day at work. when it's been raining I haven't noticed the complaint (the car park is flat)

#18 ·
I do have the roof rails and the X was parked flat when the water hit the seats on both sides when they both entered. This was the first time I had people in the back seat so the first time seeing this. One thought is that maybe when I entered first the car tilted from my weight (about 200 lbs) and created a water trail waiting for the rear door to open and fall down as the first person in the rear entered on my side as well, I don't know, but when the second guest on the rear passenger side entered the car it tilted to the other side and water landed on his lap. :thumbdwn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.