BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2009 35D loaded or 2010 35d basic?

4K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  JohnMN 
#1 ·
Hi all - first post here.

If you had a certain budget, let's say $40K, would you rather settle for a 2009 35d fully loaded (comfort seats, tech package with head up display, sport package, back up camera ,running boards every option possible pretty much, plus the roof luggage carrier $75K original msrp) or a basic 2010 35d?
Would you ignore the fact that 2010 has the new idrive system compared to 2009 and still go with a 2009 because of the fully loaded options?

#2 ·
Hi all - first post here.

If you had a certain budget, let's say $40K, would you rather settle for a 2009 35d fully loaded (comfort seats, tech package with head up display, sport package, back up camera ,running boards every option possible pretty much, plus the roof luggage carrier $75K original msrp) or a basic 2010 35d?
Would you ignore the fact that 2010 has the new idrive system compared to 2009 and still go with a 2009 because of the fully loaded options?
Wait a couple months until you can afford the '10 fully loaded :)

The idrive was a big deal for me, I test drove some older models and really don't like the previous version. But the seats were even a bigger deal. HUD and Tech package wouldn't sway me either way, the side camera's wouldn't be useful to me, and I wear polarized sunglasses and every HUD i've had previously does not show up when wearing them... lame.

Seems like the latest recall for the d's will get the emissions/programming in line from both '09-'11 with the new ones, so that shoudn't be too much of a concern I would hope.

Mileage and wear are a bigger factor on a used vehicle and think about reselling as all your possible purchasers will be asking the same question.

Jay

#6 ·
No hate from me, I just like the newer iDrive much better (which was the only thing I said I think???).

Powertrain is the same, and options haven't changed. You only get angel eyes in the '12s and newer right?

Jay

#5 ·
I will go for full loded '09 then basic '10
Last year i have same problem to buy 08 full loded inc. rear entertaitment system ( wich my kids lovet) or 09 no navi , no entertainment , so I purchase '08 loaded and that was good choice . I paid $39.750 witth 25k miles on it , certifite. I think I did good deal. So far I did 12k in 16 monts no problem .

#7 ·
You didn't have to choose between iDrives...

OP should go to a dealer and drive both, trying to use features as they would on a daily basis and see if they can tolerate the older idrive, if so, then its a no brainer.

Jay

#8 ·
I actually decided to buy the '09 so makes no difference at this point. Just curious to see what other people would do. As much as I love any new technology, in this case the idrive would not be a deal breaker for me to be honest. All I need is a diesel engine, good sound system, Ipod connection, 3rd seating row, rear entertainment, running boards (for aesthetics only) and good seats and this car I chose has them all. A 2010+ with all these options would be over $50K.

I confess, I have never driven an X5 and bought it solely on reviews. I can't wait until I get it shipped from Florida. Hopefully I won't be disappointed in terms of driving. I am sure it would be much better than my Volvo XC90 which turned out to be a big piece of crap. If I really like it, then I will probably drive it until the new body style comes in 2014, that's if it comes in 2014. Until then, I am covered with warranty.

How do you guys like your 35d's?

Thanks all.

#9 ·
I actually decided to buy the '09 so makes no difference at this point. Just curious to see what other people would do. As much as I love any new technology, in this case the idrive would not be a deal breaker for me to be honest. All I need is a diesel engine, good sound system, Ipod connection, 3rd seating row, rear entertainment, running boards (for aesthetics only) and good seats and this car I chose has them all. A 2010+ with all these options would be over $50K.

I confess, I have never driven an X5 and bought it solely on reviews. I can't wait until I get it shipped from Florida. Hopefully I won't be disappointed in terms of driving. I am sure it would be much better than my Volvo XC90 which turned out to be a big piece of crap. If I really like it, then I will probably drive it until the new body style comes in 2014, that's if it comes in 2014. Until then, I am covered with warranty.

How do you guys like your 35d's?

Thanks all.
Your a brave man, hopefully you at least had the car inspected before you paid for it, I enjoy my 35D but to each their own, some members here complain about the diesel sound
but it is a diesel and that's what diesels sound like, good luck, hopefully everything works out for you.

#12 · (Edited)
I would always buy the one with adaptive drive over non-AD. Transformative in a great way for the X5.

Would also pick active steering equipped one among choices all else being equal, but not available for the compression ignition engined E70s.

#16 ·
Wait, OP bought it sight unseen?

in for future lolz
lol

I did and actually never driven an X5 so I don't even know how an X5 drives. Am I going to be in for a treat or what? Keep my pessimism up here please. :thumbup:
used
I've purchased cars on eBay and they've turned out great. What can I say, I am a risk taker. Have not received this car yet though. I am still waiting for the dealer to send the title to my bank. Hopefully in a day or two. Then about a week delivery from Florida. I can't wait.

#17 ·
Actually, I still have time to back out on this deal. The deal I made was $39,500+tax so the original msrp for the car was $75,000 and they were asking $44,500 for it. The car is 2009 with every possible option plus the luggage carrier and has 41,000 miles. Good deal or bad deal? I have until tomorrow to decide.

#18 ·
^^ Every possible option? Nappa leather, nappa dash? M sport package, 3rd row seats, Rear entertainment system, adaptive drive, I didn't see you mention those.

#21 ·
I have to decide by tomorrow. What happens is, the loan is approved but the bank would not issue the loan without a copy of the title. Currently the dealer who is selling this car for someone else has the car but there is a lien on the car so another bank has the title. The car's bank would not give a copy of the title without first paying the rest of the loan - quite normal. By tomorrow I will have to decide what to do. If it's a good deal, which in opinion it is but there are more experienced guys here in this forum and your opinions make a difference, then I can work out something out with the dealer, send a down payment or something. By the way, dealer is legit and Chase Auto was in touch with them throughout the whole time, otherwise they would not issue a loan - sells classic cars on ebay, has a website, spoken to them many times and stuff like that.

#22 ·
Was the car ever in an accident? Not carfax, but actual inspection of the car? Any history of issues (battery discharge, throttle lag, emissions CELSs) with BMW?

Is this a florida used car lot? Or a real BMW dealer?

#24 ·
#30 ·
Price seems reasonable.

Let us know how everything turns out. The law of averages is probably against you, as its not on a bmw lot. From my used car buying experience, only the non-prime meat ever leaves any brands lot, but saying that, it could have been in an area where d's don't move very fast and the dealer wanted it off his lot. Lots of variables in the equation, it'll either work out fine or it won't, no sense stressing over it at this point :)

Some people are more particular then others, and those people would never think of buying a car site unseen (me included), but not everyone has the same priorities.

Jay

#33 · (Edited)
Don't let "new" idrive sway you. Its not new anyway. Not anymore. The old system still shows you the same information and gets you from point a to point b. the amplifier and speakers didn't change. it was the controller, screen resolution and user interface that got updates. Maps look prettier but it's still the same routing algorithms. Song names look the same. Car diagnostics are the same. Same fm channels .... ;-)

If it bothers you so much 09s can still be updated if you are prepared to spend some extra money. I upgraded. It was worth it for me, because I wanted apps. If apps wasn't available and it was purely on base idrive, I now wouldn't bother having extensively lived with both systems. There are people on this forum that actually traded in their old 09 cars to buy a next year model to simply get new idrive. Utter madness.

The current x5 2013 Idrive system is now out of date. There's a new refresh soon to be available that the current x5 won't get. A brand new completely revamped system should be available by 2014 And will get dropped in the next gen x5.

I would prefer to have the HUD, the nice seats, the upgraded sound, the nice steering wheel, etc over some janky base car.

Oh ... The HUD. The only people that ever say its not worth it are people that don't have it. Best option out there.

#35 ·
Thanks man. I decided to get the '09. I sent the payment yesterday so I should be getting the car in about two weeks (until title is transferred to my bank and some other issues) but deal done.
The new idrive is nice but not a deal breaker for me. I thought about it, but then I said no matter how sophisticated the new idrive is, how much time does a someone actually spend playing with it while driving? Two features what people use most are the navigation and sound system, and in most cases sound system only. It has a backup camera and no matter how "grainy" as some users say is, it's a decent option but honestly even if it did not have it, it would not make any difference. I am more excited about the HUD than anything else and so is my wife because she's a beginner driver and not confident enough to look around, instrument cluster, navigation etc.
This particular car I got is absolutely loaded. The only thing that it does not have is the 20" wheels but that is upgradable down the road. First mod I will do on this car is replacing the rear tails with LCI LEDs. I wil order those tonight and install them myself as I understand they're plug and play but with bulb error.
I will update you when I get the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.