BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Auxiliary jack static

17K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Die Wolfe 
#1 ·
Hopefully it's nothing major, but when I play my iPod through the auxiliary jack, my music has tons of static...it almost sounds like the speakers are busted. But I tested the radio and my iPhone music and they were fine. No HUGE deal, but any thoughts?

#2 ·
Simple things to try, in case you haven't already:

• Turn down volume on iPod to about 2/3rds to avoid clipping.
  • Blow some computer-cleaner compressed air into both plug holes (in car and iPhone) to make sure there's not crud in there ruining the connection. Also spin the plug around in each hole to see if that affects the static.
  • Try a different cable.

#4 ·
Usually this is because there is a loose contact somewhere. If it's inside the iPod, then your repair options are limited.

Try a different device with the same cable to hone in a where the problem is.

#9 ·
Problem solved! Special thanks to darkrail, I lowered the volume on the iPod directly and raised the volume with the BMW controsl; now it sounds great! Very clear and zero static! Thanks again for everyones input...

#10 ·
Glad it worked out!

Incidentally, in my experience the Bluetooth connection to an iPhone is the most convenient and best sounding way to listen to music. It shouldn't sound best (I think there's some extra compression involved), but to my ears it does. And I love how it pauses the song/podcast/etc when I shut off the car, then starts it right back up where I left off when I start the car. No need to plug the phone into a cradle or anything, it just stays in my pocket.

At one point I planned to leave an old iPod permanently connected in the center console, but then new songs/podcasts wouldn't automatically get out there. By using the iPhone that's already in my pocket, everything stays effortlessly in sync. Superb system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.