BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How many miles on your E39?

44K views 342 replies 262 participants last post by  540 Hammer 
#1 ·
Just curious what I can expect. My 97 Blackie has 180k on her (80k of them are mine) and while I have not done much other than the cooling system, new wheel bearings and I need to fix a oil filter housing gasket leak.... and while she does seam to get much more poor gas economy especially cold.... even with 0-40 oil ... ( run about 19mpg in city traffic and 24 with city and highway combined)... I'm wondering:

What is your odometer at?

What year?

Any major drive train repairs?

Any guesses on what will go next on mine?

#259 ·
1998 528i with 305xxx km have replaced water pump thermostat and a few other cooling system things

needs valve cover gaskets
o2 sensors
vanos seals im pretty sure
passenger door handle

aside from a rough idle at startup and fuel economy gone down a bit it runs GREAT
i cant imagine how it drove brand new compared to its last year or two right now but its my favourite car ive owned for comfort and performance

#263 ·
Mine .....2000 528i with 117000....
no major train problem at all
module repair a month ago
still running as new, everything tight and don't see much coming soon as to what needed repair other than rim refinish

#271 ·
Year: 1998
Model: 528i
Mileage: 243k

All 243k miles were put on by 2 previous owners combined. I am now the 3rd owner of this vehicle, for just under a week now. No KNOWN major mechanical changes, however I do believe the vehicle was very well maintained (mechanically) punctually by both previous owners (via CarFax Report).

Only known major change (to my knowledge): New Radiator

#272 ·
miles on E39

I have a 2000 E39 528I with 213K miles with manual transmission; the only problem up to now, was clutch and pressure plate change, alternator and a battery. Recently I am having a problem with battery draining over night. It is Titatium Silver with Leather sport seats, sunroof, Xeon low beam, power seats and 17" wheels. will post pic soon.
:)

#273 ·
Getting close to 170k 1998 528 I auto only owned the car for a few months need to do vanos thrust arm bushings, rsm's fan clutch, auxiliary fan, rear window regulators, vapor seals on doors, ABS sensors, bought the car used always wanted a BMW so I bought one I knew most of the problems that it had when I purchased it except the fan clutch and auxiliary fan waiting for warmer weather to do repairs motor was just swaped out for one with about 70 k on it but extreamly impressed with the power of that straight 6 drop that thing into sport and put your foot down and and the higher that rpm band stretches the bigger the grin on my face gets its got some aftermarket parts on it now nothing major but some 19,s 225 35 19 k&n flip up touch screen CD player 2003 rear tail lights and pretty soon gonna put the system in it sending all molding from the interior out to be redone in carbon fiber or a metallic flaked paint haven't decided yet first is first to get the old girl back to driving condition as close to new as I can get it lets just say the Guy I bought it from had a lack of mechanical knowledge and just drove the car till the old engine blew up but ill have her back to normal when the weather gets better the temp has been averaging 10 to 15 degrees. Good way to destroy your plastic is to try tearing it all off when its freezing out. Lol. . Love the forums all very knowledgeable and $ saving will post pics when snow melts and I can acctually stand outside without my testicles pretruding up thru my throat :yikes:

#277 ·
Ok so I just changed out my stock radiator Sunday after finally finding the "pinhole crack" that has been my demise.... bled the system and took her for a quick ride and parked her for the night. The next morning heading to work as I was traveling over the same bridge I do every day I glance down to check my cluster and as I do i literally witness as it passes 140,000.....all i can say after 6yrs of owning this car is I couldn't be happier!

#281 ·
total work done might take some thought. I've replaced or repaired the following on my 2000 528 iT: just replaced tailgate and glass struts, shock, rear subframe bushings, rear sway arm bushings, ECM rebuilt, tranny rebuilt, driver door gasket, alternator, Oxygen sensors, power steering hoses (need replacing), radiatior, water pump, wheel speed sensors, worked on tailgate wiring, fog lamps, head lamps and other assorted bulbs... all since i've owned the vehicle (purchased with 104k miles)

Still a GREAT car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.