BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So f****n mad at BMW: defective window regulators

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  shaftdrive 
#1 ·
Twice I've replaced the right rear window regulator and it broke again a while ago. The left rear regulator just snapped too. so now both of the rear windows don't work. What the f happened to german engineering there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app

#13 ·
Won't work on cars made after 3/99 or cars that have had replacement newer style regulators installed.

#3 ·
I went through 2 of them on the drivers side. The old motor was good, but what I figured out was the gear on the motor that the cable wraps around was worn out and this caused the cable to fray & brake. This time I replaced the motor & regulator together (both driver side windows). Hopefully it will not break again. Bought them on ebay fairly cheap.

#11 ·
Exactly! I will remove one of the regulators to try to put it together and weld the ends to the clamp. If I have no luck putting them together, I will order both regulators from ebay and weld the ends to the clamp.

#12 · (Edited)
Twice I've replaced the right rear window regulator and it broke again a while ago. The left rear regulator just snapped too. so now both of the rear windows don't work. What the f happened to german engineering there?

So you use Ebay regulators and blame BMW for bad engineering? :dunno:

Try the oem factory ones...not perfect, but should last much longer. I think my car has had one rear regulator and one front replaced in 12 years. There were improved sometime in early 1999. Still not perfect but better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.