BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

e38 wheels on an e34? Rubbing issues

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  snowsled7 
#1 ·
I'm considering going to 16" e38 wheels on my e34 - simply because there aren't a lot of 'performance' tires made for 15" wheels any more. I'm told that the e38 wheels will fit, but there is a possibility of rubbing on the strut housing - i.e. some people get it, some don't, some use spacers to solve the problem, etc.

I'm actually running 225/60/15's on my car right now - which are 25.63 inches tall and 8.86 inches wide. I'd like to run 225/50/16's, which, according to an on line calculator, are 24.86 inches tall and 8.86 wide. If my math is correct - i.e. the width is the same and the height isn't too different, I'm thinking that I shouldn't get rubbing, because I have no problems currently.

Does this sound right, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

GB

#2 ·
You really need to run a 225/55-16 to get the diameter of the wheel/tire combo correct. That said, there are tons of choices in that size as well.

I think that is the exact same road I am looking to go down. I do not anticipate any rubbing with a 225 section tire. I have really been wanting to run 245/50-16s but those may rub in front without a spacer.

#4 · (Edited)
tire size

I recently bought a 1995 540i and was experiencing too much left/right play in the steering. I took it to a tire store for an alignment; problem was worse. The tire shop said a prior owner had put 16" wheels on the car and they had bumped the lower control arms and caused the bushing to wear. The shop recommended some 225/55R16 to hopefully correct the rub. I had the lower control arms replaced (in progress) ; pick up car Monday. I hope this solves front end problem. If not does anyone know about spacers and a remedy for the rub?

#5 ·
Well, the tire store lied to you. It is physically impossible for the wheel to bump the lower control arm, all you have to do it look at the suspension to understand.

To avoid rubbing, spacers can be used. The best course is to use the proper offset wheels with the 225.55-16 tires and you should have no problem.

I would find a new tire store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.