BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Let the advice flow

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kzang 
#1 ·
I have had a 97 528i for the last 7 years. I've done all my own maintenance and repairs on this car and all my BMW K bikes as well.

I'm going to be upgrading to an 04 or 05 in the next few months but I really don't know what the different trim levels are etc. I am inclined to go with the bigger motor this time as my 528i was just didn't quite do it for me.

Any insight you might have as to what to look for both in features and packages and how to recognize those by what is and isn't on the car. Anything I should stay away from or other threads that do the same would be great as well. As I mentioned, I am willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy as I don't do a great deal of city driving but if you have information regarding the smaller displacement, I would be grateful for that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jason

#2 ·
I'm selling a 2006 550i with 28k miles if you are interested.

Some advice, later years usually have less issues, all the normally aspirated engines seem to be reliable, most of the issues with the e60 are electrical. More electrical options = higher potential for expensive reapairs.

#3 ·
For a 530i model, I would go for the 2007 model for two things..

1. The 2004 year model were the first year production for the E60 and from what I have read on these forums there were lots of problems / issues with electricals.

2. the 2007 Year model had power increase. See below.

For engine specifics go here. http://www.5series.net/information/options/engines/

BMW 530i Engine

MY: 2004 - 2005
Type: 3.0 Liter I6
Max Power: 170 kW (225 hp)
Max Torque: 300 Nm (220 lb-ft

BMW 530i Engine

MY: 2006 - 2007
Type: 3.0 Liter I6
Max Power: 190 kW (255 hp)
Max Torque: 300 Nm (220 lb-ft

#4 ·
For a 530i model, I would go for the 2007 model for two things..

1. The 2004 year model were the first year production for the E60 and from what I have read on these forums there were lots of problems / issues with electricals.
hm... you got me worried; i just purchased a 2004 530i... havent noticed any problems; but is there something specifically i should look out for? i still have the warranty until 8/31... thanks

to the OP:

i recently got an 04 530i w/sport,premium, and cold weather packages.. .i love it. handles like a dream, the engine; while it doesnt have a lot of hp on paper; is very strong. i'm loving it. i of course got he 6 spd manual, but let me know if you have any specific questions.

#6 ·
All good stuff. I would likely go auto or stick, if the price was right. So, how do a know a given car has the premium package? Sport? Cold Weather? Most of those I read about just have a long list of features. What features are fairly unique to a given trim package.

Thanks again.

#7 · (Edited)
Premium - look for a few buttons on the bottom side of the rear view mirror. Its basically standard leather, ambient lighting, convenience garage door opener, auto-dimming mirrors

Cold Weather - look for buttons near the bottom of the center console for heated seats. Not sure if the heated steering wheel came with CWP as an option in the earlier E60s. You will also get headlamp washers.

Sport - front seats will have thigh extenders and the trim around the doors should be black instead of chrome. You also get sportier looking wheels but the style is different based on the engine trim. All models get ARS, and while you can't see it from the outside, it makes a world of difference in handling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.