BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Winter Tires Rental Program

90K views 205 replies 78 participants last post by  john lance 
#1 ·
Actually, not so new as I was about to start the program last year but coincidentally the official BMW tire rental program was announced a few days before my website was ready! I thought it prudent not to compete. Now that there is no official Winter tire rental program offered with ED, I would like to let Bimmerfest members know that my program is now up and running - details at http://www.edwintertires.com - and at very affordable rates!

Winter tires, already mounted on aluminum wheels, are fitted and returned to the tire depot in Garching (close to Harms drop-off center). The original wheels are stored there too, for free, for the duration of the rental term - and other accessories including snow-chains, cell-phones, child seats and Sat-Navs will also be available.

#159 ·
The legal mandate does not give a specific time, rather it requires winter tires in winter conditions (snow, sleet, slush, etc.). The general rule of thumb is October through April, winter tires are recommended. Depending on where you are going, this rule of thumb can vary (e.g., if you're heading to the Mediterranean coasts, you probably won't need them at all, if you're heading to the Alps, you might need them as late as June or as early as September.

If you stay flexible and can vary your itinerary or mode of travel depending on current weather conditions, you can avoid winter tires by picking days/locations with favorable weather conditions in which to drive. But in the end, the price of winter shoes is well worth the piece of mind.

#161 · (Edited)
There is a distinct law on this. Though there are different pieces of information you can find about a specific date. In this case, since you're getting the vehicle from BMW, it's best to heed their published information.

In the "Travel Updates for 2011" brochure, that was sent to me for my January 2012 ED, it reads: "Winter Tires - As of the end of 2010, Germany requires that all vehicles must have winter tires or all-season tires (M&S tires) during inclement weather from October 15 - April 15. Please keep this information in mind if you have ordered a vehicle with Performance tires. ....(more)"

I have several German-born, German-residing friends, and they all-to-a-man reminded me of the law prior to my arrival. It seems that the natives (public) is very aware of this as well.

I rented winter tires. From reading postings here, plenty of people do not rent them. It's your choice, of course, as you assume the liability and risks based on your personal situation.

When I arrived at the BMW Welt, I had to sign a document that indicated I understood the law, and that I would assume the liability should I be in a collision and it was found that I did not have winter tires. (I took a quick glance for this document to scan and attach, but those files are off-site right now.)

What I am not clear on, is the enforceable approach on the law....it seems that if one was stopped for a traffic violation by the Polizei on, say, the 20th of October, without winter tires, that you would not be charged with an offense. But that if you were in a vehicle collision, whether you are at-fault or not at-fault, you would be cited for not having winter tires. Again, there's some murkiness about this, in regards to stories by internet postings, and urban legends.

I think the amount of money I paid for winter tires was a bit high, but it was more like an insurance policy. As it was, it was only the first three days of the eight-day trip that I ran into snow and ice; the remaining five days were all about above-freezing rain. The tires were splendid, and never during all the high-speed (avg 90 mph) rain-driving did I feel the car hydroplane. That money spent on the winter tire rental is pretty much gone and forgotten -- and the car is in perfect condition. Insurance policy....

Have fun! It's going to be a blast.

http://www.garmisch.army.mil/info/Safety/Winter Tire Safety Information.pdf

http://www.german-way.com/ice-snow-tires.html

#162 ·
Thanks for the reply. I guess my question then is how's the weather normally between Oct 15th -20th in Germany? I plan on hitting Italy for a few days so feel like winter tires might not be worth it. But if conditions are bad there's no way I will risk it. Also since we're both in Texas, how long did it take to get your car back?

#163 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, it is difficult to forecast weather conditions... Consider looking at weather websites around the 1st of October and see what is happening. If it's getting rainy and temperatures are dropping to the 40's already, then I'd rent the tires. If it's 80 degrees and sunny, then you have less risk. And then take a look at the websites again around the 10th of October. If you see the weather turning poor, contact the ED Winter Tires and get a reservation. (Do not rely on US-based Accuweather, or etc. Use Germany-based websites...use it via Google Chrome and you can translate. For example: http://www.wetteronline.de/ or http://www.wetter.de/)

Timing:
- Dropped it off at Munich's LogIn-Out on 23 January 2012.
- It sat at LogIn-Out (alone, in the snow) until the afternoon of the 30th of January 2012. Then loaded into a truck.
- It arrived in Brunswick, GA, on 24 February.
- Re-delivery at BMW Performance Delivery Centre in Spartanburg on the 16th of March.

It would have gotten to me earlier if I had a dealership delivery, of course, but I wanted the opportunity to do the PCD experience, drive the Tail of the Dragon, and visit Adrian at the dealership in Atlanta.

Edit 31 August 2012:
Interestingly enough, an inside-the-car window sticker just fell down last night and I noticed it for the first time. It reads "Mit diesen Winterreifen max. 240 km/h Lhr BMW Service Partner." Or, roughly, "on these winter tires, maximum speed is 149 mph, from your BMW Service Partner." That's good to know, because my max was 130 mph! (picture attached)

Attachments

#164 ·
No Response yet from Rental Tire Place

This will be my first ED in December. I'll be picking up a Z4 on the afternoon of 12/12/12. Over a month ago, I went to the winter tire rental web page & sent in a reservation to rent the winter tires, but I never got a reply. Since then, I've seen John Lance's postings on here and sent him a private message on Bimmerfest asking about my reservation's status. I didn't get a reply. Then I sent the same request to the listed contact email for the company and still haven't gotten any response. My question for you is this the way they do things or am I missing something? The phone numbers on their web page say to use them only after arriving in Munich. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#165 ·
This will be my first ED in December. I'll be picking up a Z4 on the afternoon of 12/12/12. Over a month ago, I went to the winter tire rental web page & sent in a reservation to rent the winter tires, but I never got a reply. Since then, I've seen John Lance's postings on here and sent him a private message on Bimmerfest asking about my reservation's status. I didn't get a reply. Then I sent the same request to the listed contact email for the company and still haven't gotten any response. My question for you is this the way they do things or am I missing something? The phone numbers on their web page say to use them only after arriving in Munich. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Nope, something isn't working right... They were highly responsive when I contacted them. It could be your e-mail isn't receiving...or sun spots.

Don't wait -- just call them (early in the morning from the USA) at +49 (0) 1736-927232. I spoke with Annette (she speaks perfect English).

#166 ·
I just reserved my tires for "end of November" and immediately received an email saying that they were processing my request.

Crosthwait, did you at least receive that?

If not, I would suggest a typo in your reservation.

#167 ·
Annette is absolutely amazing. Any chance I get I'll sing her praises. She went way beyond the call of duty to help my family and I out last February. Something must be wrong with the email system because John and Annette seemed to be answering my frantic 24 hours a day when I encountered a problem. I'd bet by now they've already read this thread and have gotten in touch.

#168 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll try contacting them again.

#171 · (Edited)
We take the wheel & tire set to BMW Welt the day before or the early morning of the day you are taking delivery of your vehicle. They are mounted by BMW technicians and will already be on your car by the time you arrive, so there is no waiting around at all and it does not affect your scheduled delivery time. Nearly all our tire sets are now BMW originals, so visually your car will look exactly the same.

#173 ·
I recently put down my deposit for ED (still working on a date) but I'm thinking it's going to be December. I just checked the winter tire rental rates for the above company. I was taken back.

This is really expensive. 10 days and 1000 miles for a new 335i M-Sport is over $500. You can rent a car for less and these are just wheels and tires. Am I missing something? Is this just a manner of BMW customers have other options or is there some big value added service (or a bit of both)?

#174 ·
Yes, it's really expensive, of that there's no doubt. Unfortunately, the main reason is that once again this year, BMW have changed the specifications on nearly all the models and what fitted the cars last year, doesn't fit this year - so i get left with a whole load of wheels & tires that are of no use!

For example, I have a 6-series set, used only for 5 days, which cost 3,000 Euros, which just cannot be used any more. I have 3 3-series sets, 3 5-series sets and so on, none of which fit any 2013 BMWs!

That's the main reason - others are the cost of each set (usually 2,000 - 3,000 Euros), the fitting, strage and mounting/re-mounting costs, as well as paying for everything to be co-ordinated.

At the end of the day, after having done this for 4 years now, I may have 21 tire sets but have made not a $ in profit. Hey, it's fun though!

#175 ·
I get where you're coming from John, but why do car manufacturers do this? I'm not a real "car guy" and I just don't get why every individual car model has it's own specific tire size. Of course it's to make more money, but come on. They could probably lower car prices significantly if tire sizes were a bit more standardized. As it is, every week or so I get emails from Tire Rack advertising nice rebates on Michelin or Goodyear tires none of which fit on any of my family's 4 cars.

#176 ·
If I plan an ED between 3/28/13 and 4/5/13, do I need winter tire? :dunno:

#177 ·
To drive legally in Wintry conditions, yes, you do require Winter tires in March and early April. Even if conditions are not Wintry, if you drive in Bavaria or Austria without Winter tires and are in an accident, then you will be deemed to be at fault, regardless of whether you otherwise would be or not.

#179 ·
What about after April 15? Winter tire still needed in order for BMWED insurance cover for anything?

#181 ·
I am not familiar with the requirements of the BMW insurance cover so cannot answer your question. The likelyhood of you requiring Winter tires to cope with road conditions after mid-April is minimal, unless you are planning to drive into the Alps to visit the ski resorts, some of which are open till the first week of May.

#185 ·
Hi,
Would buying euro-rail ticket to take trains across countries a better option than renting snow tires that cause up to $500 for 4 days?
Thanks.
Yes, sure - if you are over for a European Winter vacation and don't want to drive, then traveling by train is a good alternative. I think you may have missed the point though of what the European Delivery program is all about - something about touring through some of Europe's finest countryside with your new car, not to mention experiencing how it is to drive at high speed -and doing so legally - on the German Autobahnen!

#192 ·
Actually I was told today that if you do up to April 15th delivery you will get winter tire installed... After 15th you will get regular... Is that true?
I'm planning either Apr 1st or Apr 16th but based on this I can review my plans...

Thanks!

#193 ·
I'm approved for an April 15 delivery and only picked that date after my dealer called BMWNA and was told that even though the winter tire requirement is Oct. 15 THROUGH April 15 that the buyer has the option of getting snow tires or not for April 15 deliveries. I'm in the process of checking this further and will post again when I have a definite answer. Right now my delivery date is the 15th and I'm planning to stay in Munich for a day or two after delivery so really don't want the cost or hassle of getting snow tires on and off.

#194 ·
Good to know for my 4/23 M3 ED...

#197 ·
Thanks to John and Annette for a great set of winter wheels for my new 328 Msport two weeks ago! It was a great trip and it snowed almost every day in garmisch and kitzbuhel! It would have been terrifying without those tires.

It was worth every penny of the 500 bucks or so for the week of peace of mind!

#198 ·
Thanks to John and Annette for a great set of winter wheels for my new 328 Msport two weeks ago! It was a great trip and it snowed almost every day in garmisch and kitzbuhel! It would have been terrifying without those tires.

It was worth every penny of the 500 bucks or so for the week of peace of mind!
We are pleased that you had a good, safe vacation.

The difference using Winter tires on snowy roads is huge, always more than most people ever expect!

#199 ·
ED this October and winter tires

I'm picking up my 5 series on 10/11 then heading to Austria for a days then down to Italy for a couple weeks. I'd be dropping off in Munich on 10/28.

I understand that the German law requires snow tires starting 10/15, correct? The tire rental expense is fairly high for that many days (700+ euros). I will be in Italy from 10/15 and driving back to Munich on 10/27.

Do I need to worry about the weather? It feels like a bit of un-needed expense, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

#200 ·
Some would say that's an easy question to answer with a firm "yes", that you do need to worry because if there's snow when you are in Bavaria, Austria or as you go over the Brenner Pass and you get stuck or cause others to get stuck or are in a collision, then you will be held responsible if you don't have Winter tires, regardless of whether you were really at fault or not.

In reality, you could wait till shortly before you arrive and then check out the 14-day weather forecast, as if it's going to be warm with not a Wintry day in sight then you can probably get away with not having any Winter equipment at all.

You might want to also keep one eye on the availability chart on the website for your type of vehicle, as if you start seeing some dates getting booked up then there may not be a set of Winter tires available if you end up wanting one. October is, after all, our busiest month for Winter tire rentals, along with December.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.