BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fastest you've driven your e39

10K views 164 replies 77 participants last post by  BennyT 
#1 ·
Just curious. Last night I hit 108 and it was so quiet, composed and kept pulling hard. I really thought I would have maxed it had I not seen car lights coming toward me in the distance.

#8 ·
I thought it is 155.

#9 ·
I love passing on curves, etc.
It makes the drive more enjoyable to hear the occasional tire begging for mercy :)

#11 ·
75. In a 75 zone. Which means I was actually doing about 72. Speedometers read fast on purpose.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
yup, I call it optimistic :)

#12 ·
110, somewhere in Nevada

#13 ·
never been there, but from everything I've seen, there isn't much reason to have speed limits there. nothing to hit but a few critters ;)

#15 ·
135 topped out electronically in the 540i
135 in the 528i but I ran out of road. I wonder if someone took the limiter off.

#17 ·
I thought the same thing.
I've driven GM cars at 105 and it felt like it was coming apart at the seams.
the wind noise was too much and I had to slow down.

#18 ·
137 in my 528i according to speedo sowhat maybe 135-3? I was late for something my girlfriend thought was important. Back then my front suspension was shot though so I was fighting some pretty violent shudders I felt like a DTM driver.

#19 ·
I have bad struts but it still was smooth as can be and quiet like I've never heard from a car running 100+

couldnt be more surprised and happy about it.

#22 ·
You should come to Nebraska the straights are much much longer. Copless and trafficless,

#26 ·
Haha, did you tell them that you knew about it. :rofl:

#28 ·
I would almost be scared of what the PO of mine had it up to.
135? wow!

#31 ·
6th gear 155+ only reason i let off is cause the thing was redlining... and i wasn't about to blow it up at a buck 160

but it definitely wasn't running out of power.. just engine and that was 476south... made Poconos to philly in like 35 min

#33 ·
how does the car feel at 155?

#36 ·
once I get the suspension work done and a few other things, I'll probably take it out and push it again. this time, fate willing, no cars will come across the horizon to ruin it ;)

#38 ·
refrained but

I typically drive pretty moderately...

I'd just bought my car...on my way to work at 0330 am the street lights on our highway had just gone off. I was doing about 75 when all of a sudden there were headlights right behind me...I thought the guy wanted to pass so I moved over. Slowed down, my windows are tinted and the street lights were off, I was on a highway, so the guy changed lanes and slowed down...I thought that is weird, so I pulled back in the fast lane and sped up to 80...he was right behind me...there were only 2 of us on the road...I said 'screw this' and pegged it he was with me to 135 then I started walking away from him....the speedo was burried, he flipped on the lights...I thought Jail, he told me he was lookin for drunk drivers, it was obvious I wasn't drunk then he said he wasn't going to catch me until he turned on the lights...I told him...NO WAY, then he told me make sure I use my turn signal when changing lanes...and let me go...

He just wanted to see...and I gave him more than he could handle, well the 540 did. I do not advocate this and I've not had a ticket in 12 years, were we to go to ct I would have said I was in fear for my life, with all the crazies out there these days...but our cars are wildly fast...

#41 ·
I typically drive pretty moderately...

I'd just bought my car...on my way to work at 0330 am the street lights on our highway had just gone off. I was doing about 75 when all of a sudden there were headlights right behind me...I thought the guy wanted to pass so I moved over. Slowed down, my windows are tinted and the street lights were off, I was on a highway, so the guy changed lanes and slowed down...I thought that is weird, so I pulled back in the fast lane and sped up to 80...he was right behind me...there were only 2 of us on the road...I said 'screw this' and pegged it he was with me to 135 then I started walking away from him....the speedo was burried, he flipped on the lights...I thought Jail, he told me he was lookin for drunk drivers, it was obvious I wasn't drunk then he said he wasn't going to catch me until he turned on the lights...I told him...NO WAY, then he told me make sure I use my turn signal when changing lanes...and let me go...

He just wanted to see...and I gave him more than he could handle, well the 540 did. I do not advocate this and I've not had a ticket in 12 years, were we to go to ct I would have said I was in fear for my life, with all the crazies out there these days...but our cars are wildly fast...
You were lucky, not even a warning.
The same thing happened to a friend of mine years ago, he had a 396 Chevelle. Cruising down the highway at night the faster he went the faster the light's behind him went. He said screw this and floored it. At 125 the blue lights came on. He lost his license for 3 months. I got to drive is car for those 3 months.
When my 540 was pretty much stock, no power adders, I had it up to the 155 top end limit in 5th. Now with no top end limit, higher over rev limit and a boatload more power I don't dare see what it can do in it's current form. I value my license and don't want to see my car impounded.
Drove a TT 911 with the owner back from Iowa a few years ago. It was much faster.
It will exceed 180, but we only had it up to 170 for a few seconds going thru a deserted section of the highway in Illinois.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.