BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear ended!!!

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  rtanov 
#1 ·
:mad: I am having the worst of luck so far this year. I just picked up my car from the shop yesterday after fixing the cooling system. Today I took my 525i to get the trans serviced. My wife followed me in my 540i. Now on our way home were stopped at a red light, theres maybe 10 cars ahead its clear as day that were all stopped, and I look in the rear view and i see a SUV not slowing down at all, I have cars in front and on both sides of me so theres nothing I could do except for watch him ram right into the back of me!!! So i'm pissed that my car was just hit, then when the CHP gets there to take the report we find out that the driver doesnt even have auto insurance! So the cops give me the guys info and says hopefully me and the other driver can work something out!!! What? Atleast i have insurance. The driver said for me to get a estimate and he'll pay for the damage. I dont think he has any idea how much its going to cost. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the damage. I have a couple of questions though.

1) Is there anything I can do to make sure he pays?

2)I have the M5 package on my car, when the body shop orders the new bumper are they going to know to order the M5 bumper or do I need to tell them that its not the stock 540i bumper thats on the car?

:mad::mad::mad:

See less See more
#2 ·
Ya the should replace it with whatever was there before, so I'm guessing he only hit you going about 10-20? Especially an SUV? It must have done some serious damage my friend...

#3 ·
Maybe you can get him to sign a typed contract. run a draft buy him and c what he thinks if he serious bout paying or not. im really sorry to hear that. its happened to me b4 and theres nothing you can do. and as for the body shop you are going to have to notify them and tell them you had the costom package otherwise they might try and get off the easy way and give you something cheaper.

#5 ·
Most car insurance haveuninsured motorist protection so you should have nothing to worry about.

Look on the bright side, only your car is damaged and not you. $hit can always be worse.

#6 ·
Thats a good idea, i'll right up a contract. I have uninsured motorist protection so I know the damage will get fixed one way or another. But i really just want him to pay for damage he caused and not think he can get away with it by not having insurance. And with the bumper I hope they get the OEM M5 bumper not just a replica. All well nothing I can do now, just wait and let this accident play out. Like shodog said "Look on the bright side, only your car is damaged and not you. $hit can always be worse"

#7 ·
1) Is there anything I can do to make sure he pays?

2)I have the M5 package on my car, when the body shop orders the new bumper are they going to know to order the M5 bumper or do I need to tell them that its not the stock 540i bumper thats on the car?

:mad::mad::mad:
I'm sorry to hear this. Glad you're OK.

1) Sadly there is virtually nothing you can do to be sure he pays. It will be entirely up to his integrity. :tsk:

2) Also, sorry to say, but you can't count on the body shop to pay attention to your car having an upgraded bumper. You need to point it out to them to be sure they get the right one. You also need to check on the work at least every other day to be sure it progresses and is performed satisfactorily.

#8 ·
Today I called the driver who hit me and he didnt answer so i left a message. 3 hrs go by and no returned phone call so i call again and what a suprise.....no answer. So I decide to call my insurance and report the accident so I can get the ball rolling on getn my car fixed. They informed me that they will pay for the repairs and they put the other driver into collections for the amount of the repair bill!!!! AWESOME!!!! So i call the guy and again no answer so I leave him a message with the GREAT NEWS. And guess what..... he called me back within 10min!! HAHA!!! He was begging me to cancel the claim and he has a credit card he can use to pay for the damage, and he doesnt want his credit to get ruined BLAH BLAH BLAH. I almost felt sorry for him untill I looked my car again. Anyways thought i'd share this with you guys.

#10 ·
Good job. Whatever you do , do not let your guard down. The other driver wants you to feel sorry for him. The fact that he did not answer your calls until he was threatened is all you need to know about his character - he did not care about your livelihood, so why should you care about his. I have been there before and was screwed in a similar situation many years ago. If his credit is going to get ruined because he does not have insurance to cover the accident, then that is his problem. I would imagine it is a requirement to have insurance in Cal., is this correct?

#9 ·
sorry to hear your loss. hope everything goes well.

the suv driver is such a sorry arsh... unless he's not willing to pay at all (no cash for example) then the collection will ruin his credit. otherwise, he can pay up collection before they do damage. lesson learned for him not answering or returning your calls!

#13 ·
Oh I wanted to do something like that so bad. I probably should call some accident lawyers and get some advice on this, because today my neck and back are starting to bother me, and I also have a $500 deductable for uninsured motorist that He needs to pay.

#15 ·
Yea... get a lawyer and go through insurance coz you never know he might just run.

its best for you to go that way. even though he doesnt want to. Dont feel sorry for him, he hit your car, he's responsible for the damage. End of story.

I was rear ended by a 07 honda civic. THe driver didnt want to go through insurance coz from the outside there was barely any damage to my car. I filed the claim through insurance and got my car fixed. The bumper was barely damaged easily fixed with a few bills, but he inside was worse everything came out to 3000 bucks to repair. I also had back problems an hour after the accident. So i had to go through therapy. Glad i went with the insurance and lawyer. Now everything is fixed. The car is good with peace of mind that my rear is still strong with new reinforcements and my back is fixed.

If you feel bad for the driver it might just get worse for you. It was a suv that hit your car man i think you should file it and get a lawyer.

Thats my opinion though so good luck with whatever you decide! :thumbup:

#16 ·
Well today Allstate looked at the car and gave me a check for a little over $4000. And I dropped my car off at the body shop and its estimated to take 10+ days to fix:( Atleast its getting done. I made sure I told them to put the correct M5 bumper and trunk lip. So hopefully it gets done right the first time. I'm sure it will.

#17 ·
I got rear ended by an X5 SUV about a year ago and the repair cost was about $4200 so the ins estimate might be right. Make sure you pick a very good body shop. I asked around but picked one that the local BMW dealer recommended and was very happy (if that could be possible after a repair work :)) with the result.

As for the $500 deductible - at least you get a chance of getting it back. My wife had a hit & run recently so no way to get the $500 back :)

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.