BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 or X5?

15K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  M FUNF 
#1 ·
I know many of you had compared with X3 when you were buying X5. I'm in the same situation now. I plan to have one kid next year and another one a year or two later. So I need a car that can seat parents, two kids and another adult passenger. I found that X5 does not provide much more space. And some comments here say that the third row is too tiny even for toddlers. I'm wondering what make you people choose X5 over X3.

Any input is appreciated!

#2 ·
I know many of you had compared with X3 when you were buying X5. I'm in the same situation now. I plan to have one kid next year and another one a year or two later. So I need a car that can seat parents, two kids and another adult passenger. I found that X5 does not provide much more space. And some comments here say that the third row is too tiny even for toddlers. I'm wondering what make you people choose X5 over X3.

• You can get a diesel in the X5. Not yet available for th X3
  • You CAN get 5 adults into a X5. You can NOT to that with the X3 (way too narrow for 3 adults in the back)
  • The X5 is a good bit bigger and handles differently (being built off a different chassis).
  • The X3 is OK and fine as long as the kids are small AND you don't need to take grandma with you on any long trips.

#3 ·
Thanks ! a few following up questions.

• You can get a diesel in the X5. Not yet available for th X3
What's the benefit over a gas engine car?

• You CAN get 5 adults into a X5. You can NOT to that with the X3 (way too narrow for 3 adults in the back)
5 is a little bit short. 6 would be great.

• The X5 is a good bit bigger and handles differently (being built off a different chassis).
what are the advantages ? safer? I saw a BMW X5 2014 spy video, very impressive. But I guess you have to opt for the most expensive packages, such as bigger engine, sporty package. But at the end of day, I won't race with this car.

• The X3 is OK and fine as long as the kids are small AND you don't need to take grandma with you on any long trips.
Did you consider buying a X3 and then upgrade to X5 when kids grow up?

#8 ·
IF you looking for 6, your only option in BMW is the X5. the X5 you can comfortably fit 5. 3rd row is a joke, and even kids hate it.

If your looking for 6 but not BMW, try the Q7 (not really bigger) or GL from Merc. There are more reasonable options in the Asian luxury market. Acura MDX or Lexus G460.

But since your looking for a 6 seater in BMW, X5 is the only option (more like your settling for the biggest they offer).
What? My nephew loves the 3rd row back seats :thumbup:

He is 5 year and 11 months old. He loves the idea that it is his own little space. You do have to move on the second row up. So the adult will have to get used with reduced leg room. Otherwise, I was able to carry 4 adult, one baby seat, and one 5 year old.

I got the 3rd row to get self leveling suspension and the occasion use of 3rd row with my nephew. The self leveling suspension helps with towing and comfort.

GL is the way to go to have reasonable back seat. I hate to say it. If you really want to fit people, you can't beat Mini-vans. :eek: Its far more sensible people movers.

Here is a list of reason why I picked X5 vs. X3.
1. Adaptive Drive - Adaptive Suspension + Adaptive anti-roll bar
2. Better exterior and interior looks.
3. Feels more luxuriously with BMW X5 than BMW X3 in options and function.
4. Third row seats makes it more practical as a long distance travel vehicle.

Here is the reason why I still like BMW X3.
1. Gets a brand new Navigation next year in April time frame with all new Intel Atom which promises to be much faster than the current 600 MHz ARM with neat new stuff.
2. It is fast especially with 6 cylinder options. BMW X5 can't beat it. It is just too heavy.
3. Small car = better visibility and generally better physics. You have to use a lot of technology to make X5 almost like X3. That is why is nice about X3.

I think it is a matter of what you really want out of a car.

#27 ·
I hate to say it. If you really want to fit people, you can't beat Mini-vans. :eek: Its far more sensible people movers.
Last ride was X3, and not ashamed to say that I am SERIOUSLY thinking about getting the top of the line Sienna in a few months when I turn in the 35i, with the fat tires. :yikes: Yes, a Toyota. :yikes:

I know, I know, but that is one sweet ride, second row RECLINING captains chair?!? Now that's gonna make the family happy! Getting a test drive soon, hope it drives as good as it looks. :bigpimp:

#9 ·
I'll just make a comment that people thinking about how many seat they need REALLY need to consider carefully. If you will be regularly transporting 6 adults, then skip the X5.

But if you will have 4 adults, 2 kids- and then only for trips under an hour and a few times a year, that is a different thing. (I dont have the 3rd row in the X5, bud did in the MDX and the kids -just out of boosters- fought over it.)

To buy a large beast to be able to carry the crew for 3 summer vacations over the next 6 years is probably not a great plan.

So noodle out what it really needs to do...

(And I am a poor example- my X5 spends 95+ percent of its life driviong a 105lb woman around... :) Give or talk 50 lbs of food or horse gear in the back!)

GL

A

#10 · (Edited)
If you need to transport a lot of people (more than 5) in comfort - a minivan is a better choice than any SUV ;)
As for why we chose our X5 (with Diesel engine) - it has better MPG in our driving conditions (mostly city) than any other BMW SUV with V6 or V8 engine and the diesel fuel price is slightly cheaper than the premium gasoline here, the X5 has excellent seats (the Multi-Contour seats... Only Cayenne has equally good optional seats) and the hydraulic power steering which is appropriate for a BMW car and has excellent feedback at any speed. I don't think X3 has any of these ;)

#11 · (Edited)
Hi guys, thanks a lot for all your comments. They are very helpful!

Now I tend to choose X3 after reading all your opinions. That's probably what we really need now. I was thinking a big car that can carry 6 people. But even X5 is not the best choice for packing 6 people for a long trip. And we don't have 6 people in the car for a long trip often, maybe one or two times a year. In that case, I would rent a van. Thanks for helping me straighten it out.

But eventually we will get a X5 when kids get older, with diesel engine :thumbup:

I'm considering only BMW or Audi, because of the safety reputation of German cars, especially after I watched the videos showing BMW making turns in the snow. Am I biased?

The last question: Is it safer to be in a larger and heavier car, say X5, than a smaller car, say X3, if an accident happens? Is the bulky body one of the reasons you bought X5?

#13 · (Edited)
Hi guys, thanks a lot for all your comments. They are very helpful!

Now I tend to choose X3 after reading all your opinions. That's probably what we really need now. I was thinking a big car that can carry 6 people. But even X5 is not the best choice for packing 6 people for a long trip. And we don't have 6 people in the car for a long trip often, maybe one or two times a year. In that case, I would rent a van. Thanks for helping me straighten it out.

But eventually we will get a X5 when kids get older, with diesel engine :thumbup:

I'm considering only BMW or Audi, because of the safety reputation of German cars, especially after I watched the videos showing BMW making turns in the snow. Am I biased?

The last question: Is it safer to be in a larger and heavier car, say X5, than a smaller car, say X3, if an accident happens? Is the bulky body one of the reasons you bought X5?
I have done a lot of research between BMW X3 and Q5 since I was choosing between the two. Here is my conclusions. Remember, I picked X5 in the end because I feel I want more of the X5 goodies.

BMW X3: Pro
1. Can get dynamic dampers with very little add on. Audi Q5 does not have it at all until you get to prestige options.
2. BMW X3 has better 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine in terms of fuel efficiency and performance.
3. BMW is sportier because of better weight distributions. The power train is very powerful and able to carry if you are willing to live with the initial lag that people mentioned.

Audi Q5: Pro
1. Cheaper than comparable equipped BMW X3 by a few ks.
2. More luxurious interior if you like the look and feel. I found Audi to be better looking than X3 but I prefer the look and feel of X5.
3. 2013 has really nice MMI that does WiFi hotspot and connectivity through T-mobile HSDA+ network. BMW? EDGE in this day and age? :bawling:

Some differences:
1. BMW uses electronic brakes to distribute the torque in slipping case. It is faster response than mechanical system so it supposed to be better. The Audi uses limited slip differential which is as good but slow to response. I personally don't care since I don't see snow unless I want to. :rofl: It was never a factor.

For me, X3 wins because of dynamic dampers and I don't care for all the other luxury and pampering that Q5 has. X3 wins by a huge margin.

#16 · (Edited)
There are some great options out there besides the aforementioned Audi/MB/BMW group. The Volvo XC90 easily handles 7 (and the kids fight over the third row) gets decent mileage has a great safety rep and is something you would not be ashamed to park in the line at the Country Day School with the SUV/Minivan drop off/pick up parade.:rofl: Full disclosure - in spite of growing up with BMWs and MBs both daughters opted for Volvos - XC70 and XC90 for their own kids. You will not get 6 folks in a Cayenne - 5 with some uncomfort to the middle seat -- 4 is optimum and comfortable. Dodge/Jeep are bringing out a diesel in MY13 one for the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other (probably not until '14) is the three row Durango. Both excellent platforms developed by MB when they owned Chrysler -- virtually the same underpinnings as the ML/GL/R class that are built here. The engine is a turbo V6 diesel of about 240 hp with gobs of torque sourced from VM Motori a respected mfgr owned jointly by Fiat and GM. Both will use the ZF 8 speed transmission for exceptional highway mileage. Not a bad deal at about 2/3rds the price of X5d. Since that engine plant is owned in part by GM it would not tax the imagination much to envision the same mill being used in one of the General's SUV offerings. The Suburban for one cries out for a return to oil burning and it would do wonders for the triplets (GMC Acadia/Buick/Chev) as well. Back on topic -- the X3 will be just fine for one kid and the assorted impedimentia that travels with them as long as the car seat fits! Be sure to check that out -- you may have to buy a car seat to fit the car. The rear facing seat is the one that seems to use up the most rear seat room. Good luck, and when the second child is coming then you will be ready to move up to a three row unit. You will need it!:angel:

#17 ·

I also contemplated the X3 and X5 and same as you I found the interior to be very similar in space. What made me choose the X5 is how it looked and the X3 interior looked cheap.

#18 ·
Looks like you have decided on the smaller SUV. Good choice but now you have more options. Please DO go take a look at the Q5 Prestige (ONLY). The reason I say ONLY is because it is what an Audi is SUPPOSE to be. Full luxury with leather dash and all features. Record that price point and then go look at the X3 & it's price point. You will find that the Audi will be FAR nicer on the inside and with the features than the X3 unless...you are trying to RACE the vehicle...LOL

If I had thought that the Q5 would have been large enough for our needs, I would have bought it 3 months ago. They are clearing out the 2012 on those so deals can still be had (I think). They are more fuel efficient than the X3s as well with the 2.0 twin turbo version.

However, once you change categories, you bring other options into the mix. The Lexus RX350 is the LEADER in that space and has been for many, many years. They DO offer a Hybrid version which is equivalent to the Highlander Hybrid we own & which I outlined the economy of in my posts above. Neither BMW or Audi offer a Hybrid in that vehicle yet. To further complicate things you may even want to consider waiting about 4 months when Porsche will be offering the 2013 Macan. That is essentially a Q5 with the handling and engine options available to the Porsche line and will sell for about the same as the Q5. Have fun!

#19 ·
I love the Q5 and am waiting for the TDI version! However I believe the X3 28i (turbo 4 potter) gets better mileage than the VW/Audi turbo 4 gasser. No contest of course when pitted against the TDI 4 banger (Audi A3/Jetta/Passat/Golf) those can routinely hit over 40 and sometimes in the low 50's! A Passat TDI sportwagon might be the best option out there -- but alas they don't offer them here.:bawling:

#24 ·
OP never mentioned if he was looking at new or used? :dunno:

If new, they are much closer in the latest iteration.

However, if used, the last gen X3 is/was a complete pos. I can't imagine that anyone shopping for an X5 really considered a last gen X3 considering how inferior it is.

#25 · (Edited)
I'm considering a new one. X3 and X5 are within my budget. Actually I'm thinking of buying a used M3 for myself.

I thought I have narrowed down to X3, but there seem to be new options now: Q5 and new gen X3 and Q5. :eeps:

Leasing a fully loaded X3 might not be a bad option. It won't be more than 5k more expensive than owning a X5.

#28 ·
nda, I was going on the reported fuel useage from the 28i owners on the X3 board who were reporting well over 30 mpg with the new turbo 4. Not scientific I know just mentioning it. The VAG 4 cyl TDI's all get well over their EPA numbers out in the real world too it seems.:angel:

#39 · (Edited)
The option we want are mostly about safety. We don't care much about sunroof stuffs. We want
1, cold weather package II (heated seats and retractable headlight washer)
2, driver assistance
3, rear camera on the top
4, headup display
5, adaptive headlight
It is very annoying that you have to get the premium package to get some specific options. We don't know how to proceed at this stage, waiting for dealer's response.

By the way, does bluetooth come with the basic configuration?

After reading a lot in this forum, we realize that leasing might be a better way to go. We have saved enough money to pay the full price in cash. But it seems not to be a wise choice to put all money on something that depreciates from day 1. So we may go with leasing or financing.
Yes Bluetooth is standard on BMW x3. You will get phone features.

Driver assist is not that useful. You can get away from blind spot warning by aligning the mirrors correctly. Given your status, I say lease is a good idea since you may want to move to BMW x5. Then again, I would add that going for x5 on the first purchase may better. You basically save on the x3 depreciation costs. X5 is my first BMW for that reason as well.

Have you considered dyanmic handling package. It comes with dynamic damper control. It just makes the car feels much more sporty and comfortable at the same time.

So which version of x3? The 28 or 35.

#40 ·
Yes Bluetooth is standard on BMW x3. You will get phone features.

Driver assist is not that useful. You can get away from blind spot warning by aligning the mirrors correctly. Given your status, I say lease is a good idea since you may want to move to BMW x5. Then again, I would add that going for x5 on the first purchase may better. You basically save on the x3 depreciation costs. X5 is my first BMW for that reason as well.

Have you considered dyanmic handling package. It comes with dynamic damper control. It just makes the car feels much more sporty and comfortable at the same time.

So which version of x3? The 28 or 35.
Thanks for the answers !

By Dynamic Damper Control, you mean the sport, sport+ mode? I'm not sure if I need it. It seems to be useful if you drive on different kind of road (shock absorption). But I mostly drive in cities and highway. Is my understanding correct?

I ran across ARC ( automatic roller control). It looks useful for safety from youtube video. Which package this ARC is included?

I'm thinking of 28i. Because my wife will be the main driver. Safety is the top priority. Power is on the bottom of the list. a 35i would be at least $5000 more expensive. I'd better use these money on other packages.

One of the reasons I go with X3 is that, next gen x5 is coming out next year. After one or two year when major issue with new x5 is resolved, I will upgrade. We may have a second baby at that time. So that's our plan.

#32 ·

If you have to chose between X3 or X5 i would say X5. I have couple of kids and we are very comfortable inX5. I would think it is safer as well. X5 does consume lot more gas and you will need to fill it up premium gas...:cry:

#33 ·
There are always functional trade offs as other posters have listed. However, one thing I feel gets lost in the x3 versus x5 conversation is driving dynamics.

Having both, I would oversimplify the driving experience to the following:

The x3 is a 3 series feeling vehicle with extra space. If you like that lighter, smaller, nimble sports feel, you will probably love driving the x3 more.

The x5 is more like a 5 or even 7 series with more room. If you like a little more heft with a little more luxury, maybe a little less of that nimble small feeling, you will probably prefer driving the x5.

Enjoy your x3!

#41 · (Edited)
I have both X3 2012 and x5 2013, the X3 is noticeable smaller despite BMW claims that this new X3 is as large as the originals X5s, both are gasoline, I dont like diesels, X3 dash is way better than the X5, the X3 info screen is a full color screen which shows all info nicer than the X5, also the X3 has 4 gauges, Fuel, Speed, Tacho and Temp, on the X5 you have only 2 gauges and no temp, and I think temp is something that you should be aware everytime. I feel the X3 a little more agile on driving than the X5, maybe weight, but for sure the X5 has a nicer look and it is bigger inside. Also this is something maybe too specific but I hate the X5 turning signals arrows, they are exactly behind the steering wheel, so you must look for them behind the sterring wheel in order to know if they are on, on the X3 you have them exactly between the 2 central gauges so they are easy to see.

#43 ·
I`m not gonna lie, I`d honestly wait for the 2014 X5 and MDX. BMW not really an issue of whether the next gen will be better than the current, but who knows what systems will go electric and how they will compare to the E70. The Acura seems to be really gunning for the top spot. I know its not really comparable to say the BMW marquee (if your into that bit), but tech wise, it seems unique. Im hoping the 14 MDX borrows ALOT (powertrain wise) from the RLX concept. (it seems to be SH-AWD, with a powerful gas engine driving the front, while 2 electric motors driving each rear wheel). Really advanced stuff.

#44 ·
. Im hoping the 14 MDX borrows ALOT (powertrain wise) from the RLX concept. (it seems to be SH-AWD, with a powerful gas engine driving the front, while 2 electric motors driving each rear wheel). Really advanced stuff.
And what could go wrong with that?

:angel:

#52 ·
To the OP.

I would honestly put the advice on the powertrain opinions aside, and personally test drive each vehicle (28i or 35i) with and without the dynamic handling package. Let your built in g-sensor get a feel for what its like. From there decide. In addition, if your referring to anti-roll over functionality, most modern SUVS or crossovers have that built into their stability control systems. If you were referring to ARS (active Roll stabilization found in the X5, and most F-platform vehicles) then i believe it is not applicable to X3 series (currently at least). However, the dynamic handling pack will do a great job forgetting that you dont have that option. However again, test drive the dynamic pack if possible.

#53 ·
If you have the cash get a x5 m if you don't get the x3 35i.
I have a e30 m3 and my 2006 x3 I like the look of it but wish it had that 335i turbo motor in it!
I put on some sick AC Schnitzer 19" wheels and like to do exhaust and chip.
The X3 handles great 50/50 weight distribution .
If it is size you want than I don't think either are very large or roomy.
The Audi has some nice looking large suv out.
I'm more into bmw though their is some nice Audi's out .

#54 ·

I need to be able to transport 4 adults and one child in a seat. They can all fit comfortably in an X5.

When I bought the X5, I needed to fit a rear facing convertible child seat. They take a lot of room, even in the X5 we had to move the front passenger seat forward.

#55 ·
Wait for the X3 with the Diesel engine sometime next year. I drove one with the 3.0 diesel, with the M Sport package in Sept. worth waiting for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.