BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Infinity Q50 (ex-G37) VERY aggressive pricing

5K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  WannabeX5 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I don't like the engine either, but lots of F30post users beg to differ.

#7 ·
i had an 05 g35, it was loud, but not just the engine. The whole car made noise, i think poor sound isolation. The engine actually sounded awesome. I did not like the suspension, too rough, but it handled very nice at high speeds. A lot of power, but averaged about 18mpg

#10 · (Edited)
i also had an 05 G35.

the engine was loud, but the car was very loud. had no sound insulation at all it was no quieter than my friends 350z (also an 05). basically it was a 2+2 350z....very non luxury

it did handle nice at high speeds, but it felt heavy. uh i took it up at 135mph one trip to vegas... (i was 24 , yes it migh thave been irresponsible) but yeah it was not all that luxury or refined but at the time a great value (i think mine was like $32k+tax).

i was averaging like 15mpg in LA though.. which was horrible. friend has a 2nd gen one and the interior is a bit better, but yeah the 3.7L is worse sounding thant the 3.5

given its the same drive train as the current car, and probably fairly the same performance wise, i can't see it being much faster than a 328i and with worse gas milage. the 2.0 t in the 328i has got tons of power, and probably realistically 270hp and 260-270 torque. the torque number is right there with the G37.

#14 ·
Could be a replacement for my 08 G35. The car is beautiful in person. Love the engine and haven't had any complaints with the car.

#25 · (Edited)
Same here but mine is an 08 G35 Sedan. The car is great all around except the interior is dated, which is to be expected on a 2008. I get about 21 mpg, no rattles, not one issue, etc. I don't know what to think of the new Q50 but I can tell you that I like the pricing a lot.

It will be interesting to see how the 2014 IS350 is priced.

#16 ·
If it's still the VQ37, then it going to be loud, unrefined, and terribly inefficient.

I like how they're bringing the Hybrid with AWD, but it's quite overpriced for an Infiniti. Over $50k, which is ridiculous.

Of course, I'm sure Infiniti will be discounting these thousands with bargain basement lease deals, so every G douche out there can upgrade to the next one.

The new Q50 does look MUCH MUCH better than the new Lexus IS though.

#18 ·
Lots of hate on here for a car that isn't even out yet...

#19 ·
True, haha, I guess we're not cool with the idea of having a decent optioned 330hp V6 for a stripped 240hp L4's money :)

Personally I wouldn't buy the G37/Q50 just because I don't like high rev engines. They are tiring, (not always) thirsty and lack torque. But if you read other threads, lots of current BMW owners would consider the Infinity.

#21 ·
I think it's nice, except for that hideous front (what is with Japanese car makers and hideous, bloated, hideous fronts).

I also think them calling it "Q50" is funny, being that marketing always cracks me up. What does the "50" signify? Nothing of course, though it'll make people think it's a "higher level" car because that "50" tag resembles BMW _50i's, Benz _550's, etc.

The biggest problem with infiniti's though, aside from the crude natures, usually chintzy materials and lousy sound insulation, fit/finish, etc., is the crowd that affiliates themselves with the brand. Probably the worst/douchiest/biggest chip-on-shoulder shady group if I'm stereotyping (which I obviously am). That says a lot considering BMW gets that tag from many itself. :D

Aside from that though, I like Infiniti and Nissan in general compared to Honda/Toyota and their spinoffs.

#24 ·
My friend got deployed a few years back so he left his 06 G35 MT with me and I drove it for a year or so, the best word to describe it was it felt like a tin can compared to my E46. Needless to say when he got back I converted him to the BMW brand!:D

#34 ·
Took advantage of the very aggressive lease deals on the 2013s and sold my 08 G35S yesterday. Got some equity out of the car as well which we can stick in savings or the college fund. I'll miss the 6 speed manual, but I think the family will enjoy the new '13 G37xS AWD even more, especially once the snow comes around. Hard to believe I just got a 47k car for 300 bucks a month.

#35 ·
^ And this is exactly Infiniti is a joke. They can't move inventory without resorting to dirt cheap lease deals. Hell, you can't even finance an Accord for $300 a month. You get basically nothing for that much cash. It's ridiculous how cheap they're willing to sell their cars for.

I hope it comes back to bite them in the ass when they aren't worth their inflated residuals, when everyone turns them in.

#39 · (Edited)
Wow. Hating on a company because they have cheap leases.
Hardly. I have a laundry list of reasons to not like Infiniti, but that's beside the point. They can't sell without resorting to cheap leases.

They tried pricing the current M sedan at a higher level and look what happened. Complete failure and they've resorting to leasing them for a little more than a G Sedan.

some statistics

Infiniti's lease penetration rate is the highest in the segment

and they resort to using the most incentives (Lincoln, Jag don't sell enough to be considered) to move product also

They spent an average of ~$5k on a car in '12

http://automotivedigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/NADA-Luxury-Brand-White-Paper.pdf

#40 ·
So I assume that you think Volvo and Cadillac have better cars than BMW because they have lower lease penetration rates? Is Land Rover better than Lexus because their incentive spending is lower?

I agree that Infiniti has some work to do. With that said, I'd be happy to pick up a used M56 for a low price.

#45 ·
The last G I leased was 500 bucks a month in 2008. The one before that was 350 in 2004. And I put the same amount down on both of them that I did this one. They have good deals now, but they are also the best deals they have ever been because the car is about to be completely replaced. If you talk to the dealers and ask them about their used car market (which is very strong because the vehicles are a luxury sport vehicle that actually last with minimal maintenance over 100k, ahem) you will note that there was/is a shortage of vehicles coming off lease because the original owners were buying them out and keeping them due to their reliability and enjoyability to own. Not just inflated residuals, it is what they are worth. This resulted in a shortage of cars (mainly Gs) that the dealers couldn't get their hands on as slightly used vehicles to CPO. They would go to auction and the selection was small, and the ones that were there, were selling for ridiculously high values that by the time they shipped them back, the car would be 3k more than its worth just to break even. Infiniti realized this and pushed some incentives to start getting more new vehicles out the door vs used. The brand also needs to get their name out there more, and it is working. How else are you going to establish yourself when half the time people that come into the dealership hadn't ever even heard of the brand? I attribute some of this to marketing as the brand mainly relies on the vehicles to sell themselves (which they do in most cases.)

I just get tired of this mentality and I mainly get it from my fellow BMW drivers more than any other brand. I own 2 BMWs and 1 Infiniti. The Infiniti has had less issues in 65k than either of the BMWs have had in 15k or less... It is a good thing that I don't stick that high on my priority list when buying. I like each of the vehicles for different reasons but if im keeping one for the long run, it certainly won't be the one that needs a software update every 5k miles..

#50 ·
Ending up picking up the '13 G37xS. Loving the color and the car. The 7AT is very smooth and the updated tech is nice. Family is going to love this car. It matches the AW X5 in the garage. Time to trade in the 550i and get a white E60. I will miss the 6MT in the 2008 though. That was a very fun car to flick through the corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.