BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Stealerships: incompetent or crafty?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Vanessa Graw 
#1 ·
This is in no way or form a bash a dealership post... I have had great experiences with dealers across the country but there have been 2 different dealerships in this one state that really have me at a lost for words.

So This past Saturday I am getting my windshield replaced because of a rock chip and I notice my left turn signal light above the headlight is out, I turn the wheel and attempt to access it via the flap and fender lining. long story short, my hands could not fit and properly remove the bulb for some reason. I call up the closest BMW dealership and ask if I had time to bring the car in to change the bulb. The SA assured me there was enough time and said they would charge 1/2 hr labor... no problem, as soon as safelight was done I drive the car over.

The SA checks the car in and I let him know that everything has been taken apart and I even have the bulb. I give him the bulb and screw and he lets me know that if all they have to do is pop it in that they would not charge me:thumbup: kool, happy belated birthday to me. 5 mins later he returns and says "Uh we cant access the bulb because of your custom C.A.I. housing"..WTF:dunno: he then goes on to say that it will take around 1 hr and they can not use my bulb...smh

I agree to allow them to fix it and ask them to check my wiper fluid tank because it hadn't worked in a yr. I checked it myself a few weeks ago when I removed the bumper to change my fogs but all looked fine. The SA agreed to check it and began work on the bulb. 58 minutes
later he returns with the car and my bill... almost $200 to replace one little bulb, I could not do it so no worries, it is what it is. I ask about the washer fluid and he says "oh yeah... you need a new pump, $300 of the pump and 2 and 1/2 hrs labor"... what thou talketh about Willis???? he then explains how residue clogs the pump...blah blah bah. I didnt miss it the whole year it was out and I always keep rain-x with me so ill pass.

The very next day I get a low fluid warning, now I just checked the tank myself a few weeks ago and noticed it was full so I figure they emptied some out while checking. another day passes and I am at my Indy correcting some codes I messed up and I tell him about the fluid, he says I can try topping it off but if the pump is shot I should check the fluid sensor. I purchase fluid myself, top the tank of and the warning disappears I then decide to check the wipers and BOOM!!! I have spay on the windshield and headlights...again WTF????!!! I decide to check the tank, and as I go to unscrew the fender lining i notice the flap is gone:mad::mad::mad:they never screwed the lining back or the flap, I look under the car and can see the flap under my Chrysler in the driveway... mind you the dealership is 280 miles away. I am furious at this point, I look in my tool kit and find the screws. The same screws I gave to the SA when I showed him that I had already taken the area apart.

So my question is are they just incompetent or crafty? I really felt that they would tell me my horn fluid was a quart low or I needed "tire be round" because they are starting to look like an octagon. I won't name the dealership because it could be a one time thing, I just do not like when people half ass a job, especially when you are getting charged an outrageous amount for a simple job... I checked the housing for my C.A.I. and could not find the blockage, the AFE cold air intake bolts directly to the factory air box area, one day Willis shall let me know what he is talking about.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never quite been able to trust any dealership since my Supra passed me at warp speed years ago and came back with 50 miles more on the clock. I'm fairly sure routine testing doesn't require my car to be driven like a lunatic owns it. Thankfully the dealership paid for the major service for free and I then got them featured in local newspapers as a terrible dealership. Name and shame away, saves someone else getting the same treatment!

On the washer pump, I take it nothing comes out the lines, does the pump make a noise? The BMW blue fluid crystalises over time and gradually fouls the filter in the tank. If you pull of the line at the rear of the jets and run a compressor down it with the washer fluid cap off it clears the gunk out temporarily. If there is no sound then likely the motor is shot.

#3 ·
That really sucks about your Supra but could you blame them? Lol nah...I do custom car shows and have heard crazy stories about cars getting dropped off and ending up on Facebook with some tool acting like it's his.

As for the pump, it makes noise and actually works, I will take the nozzle off this weekend and run the air through it. Hopefully that would clear any blockage.

#4 · (Edited)
I think that's what it probably is, crystals in the mesh filter, it won't do any harm to run a line down it, is still only a temporary fix but it will save you replacing the pump if it works after. With the reservoir cap off you should hear the fluid in the system bubbling and maybe coming out as you blow air through. I'd be enraged if the dealer didn't try something similar before saying the pump has had it.

The mesh filter is replaceable separately, or you can just give it a quick scrub with a sponge. I'm not sure how you access it on the 6 series, its in the reservoir. For the 3 series you had to remove the front right wheel, take off the arch lining and you could get at it from there.

#5 ·
Thanks in advance for the advice. I have really had it with BMW and their practices, when I purchased the car I went through hell. I found it online at another dealership... called up and made the deal to purchase. The day they were supposed to fax paperwork I get a call from the salesman and he says the car was priced 3500 cheaper than it should have been because they just replaced the entire coolant system so the final price will change... btw should I add sales tax? Are you kidding me?? Do not add sales tax, I'll pay in my state, 2nd we made a deal on the advertised price I refuse to pay a last minute mark-up.

We proceed with the advertised price and they ship the car to me after they receive payment. 5 minutes after the car is off the transporter the Dynamic Drive Malfunction light comes on. I call the dealer and they say they recently changed the sensor and I should check the fluid levels, Ok fine I check the levels as well as the glove compartment for manuals. I also look in the center console and to my surprise this car has the "smokers package"... I never smoked anything in my life but BMW saw fit to supply the car with over 20 cigarette butts:dunno: wtf?????? I get back on the phone, Im screaming at this guy... I can see if this was Wild Willies world of cars...but I purchased the car (certified check)no finance from BMW. The guy asks If I could bring the car back and they would do a free detail, really a 600 mile trip just to get one of your so in demand car washes?...gtfoh

I declined their detail offer and let them know I would take care of the car myself...I then speak to the manager and he let me know that anytime I am in the area that they would take care of me and anything I may need. I never heard from them again, no emails... phone calls or follow ups on the car. I actually called them a few months later because I wanted to know if they could find a 2011 550i M-sport under 55k. I left messages and never received a call back, I wound up finding the car In Fl which is another long story but anyway that particular dealership really pissed me off because I purchased my MB the same week as the BMW and they have been very accommodating with everything I need. They even asked to use the car in local advertisements after I customized it. The same with my Audi. The only other car that I own that I have no communication with the dealership is my E60 550 and thats because I purchased the car via a broker, I get mail regarding maintenance but thats it.

I love BMW but I have had it with the disconnect with their customers. Next spring I planned on trading my C300 for the new CLA coming out and getting a Grand Coupe but now I may just re-customize the C300 and get the CLS 550. Unless I find a pristine E39 M5 on a BMW lot I will never purchase a car from the BMW dealership again. :flipoff:

#6 · (Edited)
I think it's always incompetence and some BS for flavor. I had a light module replaced at a top dealership nearby. I know the senior management there from previous issues.

I get the car back and there is not a single screw holding in the front bumper. I bring it back and the VP of service is looking at the car he tells me we will investigate this. As he's handing me the keys to a loaner I told him "I'm glad you don't do aircraft maintenance!". He tells me he'll use that line. Great, I feel so much better.

Next day he calls me to tell me the mechanic fessed up and said he made a mistake and had the screws "So he was not trying to hide anything". Would have been pretty easy to spot once I hit a bump and the entire bumper fell off.

Next trip I get the car back with my after-market shift handle in pieces. It looked like an F series and the car wash guy forced to work like an F series. They replaced it and no one accepted responsibility.

Talks about incompetence! And they are the better of the 2 dealers near me.

#8 ·
I think it's always incompetence and some BS for flavor. I had a light module replaced at a top dealership nearby. I know the senior management there from previous issues.

I get the car back and there is not a single screw holding in the front bumper. I bring it back and the VP of service is looking at the car he tells me we will investigate this. As he's handing me the keys to a loaner I told him "I'm glad you don't do aircraft maintenance!". He tells me he'll use that line. Great, I feel so much better.

Next day he calls me to tell me the mechanic fessed up and said he made a mistake and had the screws "So he was not trying to hide anything". Would have been pretty easy to spot once I hit a bump and the entire bumper fell off.

Next trip I get the car back with my after-market shift handle in pieces. It looked like an F series and the car wash guy forced to work like an F series. They replaced it and no one accepted responsibility.

Talks about incompetence! And they are the better of the 2 dealers near me.
I hope it wasn't Bob Smith BMW.

#7 ·
Not good guys, not good at all. I never had a problem with my Merc dealer. Very accommodating actually, I mentioned that my wireless car key was a bit scratched up and they gave me 2 new ones, no charge. They seem to bend over backwards to please their customers, I remember the major service on my SL was quoted at £1200, I moaned a little bit and it dropped by almost a third. There are some good ones out there ...

#11 ·
My opinion about dealerships is they know they have a fixed customer base in just warranty work. Regardless if he is good or not, if he is doing the work for free, customers will go there. And typically they are spread out so if you don't go to the local guy, you have to drive a bunch to get to his competitor.

Indies are a different story. I go to a guy who is so close I can walk to his shop and he knows if he screws me I will tell all of my friends and word will get out all over town and his business will suffer tremendously. He has a very loyal following. Although I have extra vehicles (toy haulers), he always offers to lend me his vehicle while he is working on mine (granted, I have 5 cars, 4 drivers and he works on all of them so he is making money on me). I can't remember the last time I paid for him to fix a flat tire for me. He lets me bring my own parts and we talk through trouble shooting and he explains exactly what he’s going to do before he does it.

With dealers, you tell the guy what is wrong, he makes a few notes, and then he disappears with the car. The next thing you get a call about all of the things that are wrong and how much it will cost. My favorite is taking an intermittent electrical problem to a dealer. They see $$$$ because they know you can't really refute what they tell you. It’s intermittent, what you see may not be what they saw.

My opinion is, if you are not happy, he really doesn't care that much.

#12 ·
my first BMW

I bought a used 3 series soon after graduating college. I had a problem with the door panels delaminating which happened once during warranty and once after.

Once the car was out of warranty, but had this recurring problem - the dealer sold me new door panels at their cost. When I went to pick them up (as I planned to put them on myself) the parts department called the service manager over. The service manager explained that they could only sell the panels to me at cost if THEY installed them, to the tune of 400 bucks. I refused and insisted that I wanted to do the work myself and save the money.

The service manager said to me (and this is an exact quote) "If you can't afford the car, maybe you should sell it."

Nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.