BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Xenon vs. Full LED

30K views 78 replies 30 participants last post by  jgroarke 
#1 ·
Can anyone explain the difference between the $900 Xenon lighting package and the $1900 "full LED" package? The build explanations don't really go into detail. The more expensive package does include the automatic high beams, so that much is obvious. But are the headlights themselves different in these to package options? And which is better and why? Thanks!

#55 ·
Me I got them and like 'em. But I wouldn't be disappointed with xenons, driving back to back with our 328i with xenons the 3 is still really good.

We recently rented a Ford Escape on vacation with halogens, forgotten how bad regular halogen lights are. Halogen to Xenon is definitely a huge improvement vs. Xenon to LED.

Oh and the LED turn signals kick butt! Drove in front of my wife who was driving the X3 and they look great on the open road. Agree 100% LED rear lights would've been awesome.

#56 ·
Ultbruin said:
Hey BobBass. Just ordered my x3 with xenon lighting package for $900. But the online build shows the same as yours. What actually arrived when you picked up your car?

As far as I can tell, this is on my vehicle:

ZLP Lighting Package - $900
522 Xenon Headlights N/C
524 Adaptive Light Control N/C
also includes rear LED lights

The headlights are just fine and the ALC swivels them with the steering wheel. I had this on my '08 Lexus RX400h and it's a valuable safety feature. Lexus dropped it on the third generation RX.

I THINK I have LED taillights, but the brake and turn signals are standard bulbs. Not sure about the third brake light. Haven't seen it illuminated.

The main thing (for me) is it has the BMW signature white angel/corona DRLs. It also has white license plate illumination, under the door handles, and in the cabin. The cool interior lighting really caught me offguard. I didn't realize it had all that shtuff.

It IS a ripoff that BMW forces you to pay $1,900 on top of the $900 for full LEDs. You also apparently get the auto headlights with that, too, and that "split feature" when approaching vehicles but it's still ridiculous.

I must admit it bothers me a but I don't have all the lighting gadgetry, but this $900 Xenon package with the auto-level and swivel as as good as it gets. Plus, mine has most of the other "important" options...$15K worth!

Hope this helps.

#60 · (Edited)
I'm still torn on this option. Getting the 35i so it already has Xenons standard. The auto high beam feature is cool. The difference in light quality is something to consider but coming out of a car with halogens I think I'll be fine with the Xenons. The look of the full LED units may tip the scales. There is the LED eyebrow turn signal which I like (our other car is an E60 so I like eyebrows). Then there is a chrome strip that starts at the outside lower corner and runs across nearly to the grill where it makes a U-turn and heads back toward the center of the headlights, appearing to shoot through them. I love this look. Just not sure if I love it $$$ much.

#66 ·
My two cents - I don't know the difference in cost to replace xenon vs LED bulbs, should they burnout, but I think LEDs have a longer life. With that in mind, My 2009 Mazda 6 had xenons. In the 6 years we had the car, we had to replace one headlamp bulb at a cost of around $100 (DIY installation). I also think LEDs are easier on the eyes, both for the driver and others on the road.

#61 ·
I think it's lame these luxury car manufacturers still offer halogen. Based on the technology nowadays, Xenon should be standard and LEDS should be optional. I personally think 1000 extra for LEDs is fair. I had headlight mods on my previous cars, and let me tell you. Those things cost pretty pennies.

#68 ·
I'd be interested to know whether LEDs handle on/off cycling better than Xenon. My guess is that they are far better given how many applications there are for LED strobes. In auto mode my headlights cycle on and off several times during my typical drive so it probably adds a bit more stress on the bulbs than necessary--but I still keep it in auto regardless. Our xenon high beams are actually mechanically actuated where a lens or mirror redirects the headlight beam vs. having a separate dedicated set of bulbs that typically have higher output.

#70 ·
My wife's car, 2015 X3, has the Xenons. My card, 435iGC, has the LED's. I do noticed a difference. One key feature that is part of the package is anti-dazzle. This will dynamically change the beam pattern to provide optimal lighting. Rather than the lights oscillating from low to high beam, specific LED's will remain on but change intensity to create a pattern around oncoming vehicles. BMW has a video showcasing this technology (which is cool). However, this feature is disabled for vehicles sold to the states (damn DOT). But it can be enabled through coding.

Are LED's worth the additional $1900 USD over Xenons, it depends on the priorities of the buyer and perhaps available budget. If the anti-dazzle feature was enabled, I would say yes. Assuming that I keep my car then I will have it coded. Otherwise I'm driving around with slight better headlights that look really cool. In-terms of longevity, I never had to replace components in my prior vehicles that had Xenons. LED's should last longer but I'll move on from the car long before it's a concern.

There was a post, perhaps on a different BMW forum, of a member measuring the lumens value and pattern between Xenon and LED. It shouldn't be hard to find and perhaps I'll look tonight and post the link.

#72 ·
I say get the LED lighting option. They can now be programed to do the anti-dazzle feature that is only available in Europe.

#74 ·
I believe so, but if not. It's only a matter of time before they do. The technology is the same throughout BMW.

#75 ·
I read that head lights account for approx 20% of the vehicle's electricity. Using LED which uses little electricity compared to the much heavier Xenon, I assume this would save on gas (not sure how much). With the low wattage and less heat, the lights are also to last much longer as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.