BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 4 Series - Lighting Package $1900

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  2015435iMSport 
#1 ·
It says that the 2015 435i Coupe come standard with Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling, Corona headlight-rings, and LED accent lights, so what is this optional lighting package for $1900? I thought that was for the Xenon Adaptive Headlights with the LED angel eyes? Confused about this one. Could someone explain, thanks!

#3 ·
Is there a difference between the 2 in terms of appearance and quality? Wish I could see the difference, I thought the only LED part was the rings around the actual hi and low beams. So are you saying that the $1900 lighting package makes the low and high beam lights LED as well?

#4 ·
^^ YUP! A lot of Manufactures are doing an optional LED instead of the Xenon. We just worked on a Porsche 991 turbo, and if i remember correctly, the customer was saying he paid over 4K for it!

#6 ·

#7 ·
Ahhh I see, so is LED that much better than Xenons?

I see the difference now, the LED one have a straight line for the headlights as opposed to the projector style lights for the xenon. So that's how you can tell if a BMW have the lighting package or not.

#8 ·
Correct. Led is the future. They last longer, and they draw less power than anything else. If i had the choice (and didnt care about the $1900 price tag) i would always go with the LED option. Plus, it really does look a lot better on that car.

#10 ·
My pleasure! If you have any other questions in the future, let me know!

thanks

#12 ·
Any idea why BMW went with LED reflectors rather than projectors similar to Audi or even their own system in the new F series MINIs? I've only seen the LEDs in use on the road once or twice, but it seemed like a projector system would be more defined than a reflector system. I'm sure I'm missing something in BMW's thinking.

#18 ·
Any idea why BMW went with LED reflectors rather than projectors similar to Audi or even their own system in the new F series MINIs? I've only seen the LEDs in use on the road once or twice, but it seemed like a projector system would be more defined than a reflector system. I'm sure I'm missing something in BMW's thinking.
What are defined headlights?

#15 ·
I don't drive much at night but find the xenons light up the road well and turn with the car into the roadway. The money would be better spent on suspension, driver assist and performance packages IMHO. $1900 is a lot of money , They do laugh at us!
Especially the cameras and sonar add to my safety so I chose them.

#16 ·
OP, my wife has a 2015 X3 with Xenons and I have a 2015 4GC with LED's. There is a difference with the LED having more of a natural light output. Somebody on a different forum posted the lumen value for each and it did favor LED. Whether it's worth the $1900 USD spend, for me it was but my wife felt otherwise. The Xenons are still very good and worth the money spent over the baseline halogens (which I can't believe are still standard on some BMW's). LED technology is just a placeholder until the cost of laser based system comes down (refer to the i8 for an example).

#19 ·
$1900 is not worth it. The difference is not enough to warrant the extra cash. The difference bw Xenons and Halogens in the 3 series on the other hand IS worth the $1000 upgrade. But if Xenons were standard, I would never pay for the upgrade to LED. Both look white, both have the great Halo look. LED is somewhat brighter. $1900 brighter, I don't think so. You can use the money so much better on other upgrades, unless money is no obstacle and you are fully loading the car. But since you are asking if they are worth it, I will assume you are trying to wisely choose your options.

#24 ·
BMW really put the most "lightshow" into the LED package that they can. It is a chief upsell item for them to make some profit off all you freeloaders cruising the ask-a-dealer section.

There is a lot of sensors and software at work to carefully illuminate everything they can while not blinding other drivers and make it as obvious as it gets to the driver so that they spring the outrageous price. Too bad very few people test drive in the dark :)

They also add some bling so that it looks better in a rear view mirror but that has nothing to do with the light for your own driving. It's another incentive for people to spring the money. Too bad Mercedes does it better (at least in the E class) for now. There's a black E63 S that I sometimes see on my commute that makes me want to spring the money for an AMG just from how his daytime lights look.

#28 ·
Lol, I have that package and didn't even realize it was LED until I read this forum. I did notice its the brightest thing I have ever experienced and the auto dimming high beam is very nice feature. When I saw the side lighting come on when I make turns, its better then the old adaptive xenon. High beam brightness is amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.