BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Comparing old body (2010) to current

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 · (Edited)
I will be happily returning to BMW in the next few months. For some reason i seem to prefer the 2010 to later models. The 2010's seem better built in the older heavier metal style (my last 528 was a 1999 which i kept for 8 years).
The center console seemed too wide in the 11 and the drivers side entrance was cut lower and therefore more difficult to enter. Am i dreaming, old fashioned or something else?
i have not seen anything comparing bodies as it pertains to ride, feel etc.
Any input would be appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, you're out of your mind.
+1. Agreed 100%.

The interior of the 2011+ is more refined and elegant in every single way (except steering wheel buttons and cruise control lever).

The exterior of the 2011+ is much more true to the brand and is somewhat of a timeless design.

I loved my 2008 5er but seriously, the interior of the pre 2011 isn't even in the same league.

Just my opinion :)

#4 ·
Speaking of older classics, can I buy one of these new please?

:thumbup:

Getting back to your question, yes the newer car is a bit bigger and it coddles the passenger a little more. However, I feel it is highly underrated in its abilities. Drive around town with speed and you'll realize that you are indeed hauling A$$. Just not being tortured with a harsh ride while doing so. Also, the car is widely acknowledged to be very spacious and comfortable, you will likely feel the same way. Of course it is loaded with technology that was in sci fi movies back when the E39 came out.

#6 · (Edited)
My E60 was a great car and it saved my wife and I from a high speed crash. It was repaired beautifully and I kept it for 2.5 years as a result. It always had a distinctive look (which I liked a lot) whereas the F10 doesn't stand out as much.
My main complain was always the harsh ride even though it had non run-flats and no sport package. However, I was sorry to see it go.
My F10, however, is the finest car I've owned. Even with run-flats and no sport package, it has a much more compliant ride in Comfort mode but still handles as well or better than the E60. I don't like my F10 seats (E60 had Comfort seats) as much but definitely think the iDrive is a huge step forward. The Logic 7 was slightly better in the E60, especially low end.
I have the Technology options so I love the use of the toys to enhance the fun of the car.
You can't go wrong with either car but IMO the F10 is the winner.

#7 · (Edited)
This is such a subjective thing.

Though at the same time I like to think of design harmony and coherence as totally objective, and you'll be hard pressed to find any car more elegantly penned in a harmonious sense than the F10, IMO, especially the harsh and crude E60 design.

As for solidity, no comparison there. The F10 has a whopping 55% stronger torsional rigidity than an E60. It boasts 37,500 nm's of torsional rigidity which is frankly one of the highest of any cars, ever. I credit this to the chassis being over-engineered for this segment due to being originally utilized 7-Series in its larger form, and Rolls Royce Ghost on top of that. Also looking at crash test data between the F10 and E60 shows just how much stronger the F10's frame is.

As for lower entry. It is true, but IMO it's a welcome sporty attribute for a luxury sedan. I'm 6'4 and it doesn't bother me much, though my girlfriend complains that the low seats are a pain for her to classily get in and out of, lol. Again, I like that as it nods to the cars sporty roots for a Luxury Sedan.

#8 ·
though my girlfriend complains that the low seats are a pain for her to classily get in and out of, lol.
LOL!

While I prefer the E60 seats over those of the F10, my wife is the opposite. She loves the F10 seats because, for some reason, the E60 seats hurt he knees while sitting in them. The F10's don't.

If your girlfriend stumbles or doesn't look classy getting in and out of the seats, just be sure and tell her, "Not classy! Not classy!" Then snicker a bit. See how that flies ;)

#12 ·
LOL. I'll give that a try. :D

Poor thing has to abide by my carefully strict rule of how "to close the door properly" so as not to leave fingerprints and such. I don't think I can push her any further. Though on a good note she finally got me to open the car door for her. :D

#9 ·
Love the e90 and had first year body style. Never liked the e60 Bangle butt and dame eyes, so l loaded up on a 330i with every option instead. Finally sold that 8 year old car today - hard to do so since such an awesome car. Best I've ever owned. Have a 535xi on order loaded with almost every option. Love the F10 look (probably because it seems so classic BMW to me) vs. the E60 which seems out of place.

#11 ·
The main difference is that the E60 is UGLY and the F10 is beautiful.

I went for a 3 series in 2008 because I could't stand the geisha look of the lights on the E60, and the interior is not even close to the F10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.