BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Operation .5 liters per cylinder.

27K views 342 replies 27 participants last post by  dc_wright 
#1 ·
Okay guys, as most of you know I am planning on rebuilding my engine with the rotating assembly from an M54B30. I'm hoping to start with in the next week so I figured it was build thread time.
So far I have the bottom of an M54B30 with the oil pan off sitting in my living room (hells yes for not having a woman in the house) and I'm about to order Bavauto gasket sets for the top and bottom end of my engine.
If any one has a lead on a set of S50B30 camshafts I would certainly appreciate it if you'd point me their way.
I was toying with the idea of a baby turbo, but I'm poor so that'l have to wait.

Here's a few pics of what's happening so far:

Engine Hoists:

Are for pansies.

Here it is opened up:

Stay tuned for sexy updates.

See less See more
#7 ·
let's see him do that with a cast iron block :thumbup:

I am excite for this engine build.

also I thought all -52 series motor cams would work with the M54? Turner Motorsport has a used classified section for parts and I've seen S52 cams there. This is assuming that they can work.

#4 ·
Now, what the heck happened to your chest, Chip? :dunno:
He didn't use an engine hoist........:rofl:

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#12 ·
Rhymegrime, Word.

Old Ken, see Chad snr's comment

Chad snr, exactly

Jesse, Yes.

Dino, that's actually a playing card, I wish I had Benjamins laying around my house :(.

Not old Ken, I'm working my way up to it, and I'm keeping M50 heads so I either need S50 cams or to do some work on newer cams.

Brad, Thanks.

Ed, :rofl:.

CJ, It's on like Donkey Kong, looser buys the winner a cookie at Bimmerfest East

Karl, .... I don't know how to respond, but I didn't want you to feel left out :thumbup:.

Update: Bout a 1/2" breaker bar, but there's no one around to help hold it down and I couldn't stand on the block and turn the wrench at the same time.

#18 ·
Couldn't get the engine to stay so I took it out on the porch and built a 2x4 frame around it, put my new ($26) 1/2" breaker bar on it, put a 10' stick of 1" black iron pipe on that, pulled on it...... and sheared the breaker bar off where it connects to the socket.

CJ, how did you get that damn bolt off?.

Sent from my FroyoEris using Bimmer

#19 · (Edited)
This
is
gonna
be
good!!

DAMNIT WHY CANT I DO ALL CAPS...

LOLWTF DOUBLE EDIT

#21 ·
You need impact Chip. If you don't have an impact gun, use a sledge hammer on the end of your socket...

#29 ·
S50 cams are often $250-300 on Bimmerforums. Just be patient and keep an eye on the classifieds.

As far as the impact, you'll have to get a very good strong one. My impact wasn't able to get the crank bolt off my S52 block. It's not that strong of one, but it is rated for 300+ ft lbs (it probably doesn't do that much). Btw, what are you using to hold the crankshaft in place?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.