BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Operation .5 liters per cylinder.

27K views 342 replies 27 participants last post by  dc_wright 
#1 ·
Okay guys, as most of you know I am planning on rebuilding my engine with the rotating assembly from an M54B30. I'm hoping to start with in the next week so I figured it was build thread time.
So far I have the bottom of an M54B30 with the oil pan off sitting in my living room (hells yes for not having a woman in the house) and I'm about to order Bavauto gasket sets for the top and bottom end of my engine.
If any one has a lead on a set of S50B30 camshafts I would certainly appreciate it if you'd point me their way.
I was toying with the idea of a baby turbo, but I'm poor so that'l have to wait.

Here's a few pics of what's happening so far:

Engine Hoists:

Are for pansies.

Here it is opened up:

Stay tuned for sexy updates.

See less See more
#87 ·
I'm just using the original red label 413 DME with a chip from hackentt thanks to CJ. According to hackentt with a 3.5" MAF and 20# injecters it'll put 260 on the ground, not sure I trust that figure though :dunno:. Plus with the M54 cam it has more low end power than an S50.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

#88 ·
My package from harborfreight got here a day early, engine stand is assembled, tomorrow I just have to finish clearing out the barn and moving my anvil, cut a more car size hole, throw down a few sheets of plywood and it'll be game on.

#90 ·
It's all finally here (except piston rings which I'm waiting to order until I can measure the bore) Now I need to get some shut eye so I can get too it bright and early in the am.

Attachments

#98 ·
Ran into my first couple of road blocks. #1 is that one of the screws that attaches the nose panel to the fender is being difficult and ate a T-30 torx bit.
#2 is that the guy I was going to borrow a hoist from hasn't gotten it back from the last person who borrowed it.

#100 · (Edited)
Went to Lowe's and got a hardened bit and used my electric impact driver, came right out :thumb:.

I'm working on a wacky scheme for lifting the SOB out with out a hoist, but I don't want to give anything away until I have pics of my experiment.

#101 ·
Went to Lose's and got a hardened bit and used my electric impact driver, came right out :thumb:.

I'm working on a wacky scheme for lifting the SOB out with out a hoist, but I don't want to give anything away until I have pics of my experiment.

Got a come along? 4 x 4 across the roof trusses to distribute the weight and the come along for the lift......

#109 ·
My newly cleared work space:

Car in the barn.... I'm thinking there might be a problem here....

Yep.... Not really any room in front of the car to work that's still covered.

Here we go, ass end is outside, but who cares :rofl:

Taking apart the front end:

Not sure if 19.5 years worth of leaves, insects, and dirt, or just a squirrel nest :yikes:

More of the front end gone:

Not sure why BMW decided to weld this thing on, but what ever, nothing a metal boring bit cant fix.

And there she is with no face:

This was on the bottom of the MAF, what are the odds it could be causing low RPM hesitation?.

Intake manifold off:

I like color coding and pictures for labeling:

Building a frame to hoist the engine out:

More building:

And there we go:

Sorry for the pic quality, all I have is my phone, and lighting isn't great :(.

#112 ·
Thanks, Ed.

Quick question, I know a lot of people swap an M50 manifold onto an M52 for better high end power, I'm wondering if I could do the reverse to get some extra low end torque?, if so, any one with an M52 want to trade manifolds?.

Also, still in the market for M53 exhaust manifolds, a 3.5" MAF, and 20lb injectors (is it true these can be sourced from a 'Stang?)

#114 ·
You won't gain any torque because the tune is for an M50 manifold. Also, you want to use pink top injectors (21.5lb) from an S52. It's not tuned for the 24lb Ford injectors.

However, you may want to consider a tune from rk-tunes on bimmerforums. He only charged me $100 for a remote tune and it is spot on. Remember how I found out my Hakken tune wasn't quite right shortly after selling you the chip...

#113 ·
IIRC it's 24# injectors form a 'stang. Just working from memory on that though. Frank, Randy, Matt and Ken Jr have discussed it ad nauseum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.