BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

About to replace my AMP

771 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rwink181 
#1 ·
Hello all I'm new to Bimmer so be nice. I blew my Amp and I was about to buy one from a used Vehicle, my question is will the new one be plug and play or will I have to get it coded?
if so whats the best and less expensive way to do it. Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
Both...it will be plug-n-play...but will need to be coded if it came from an e38 or e39 etc. The e38/e39/e53 all use the same amp (or DSP amp if so optioned)...but they are coded based on which vehicle and sound system is installed in the car. The coding takes into consideration the location of the speakers in the vehicle, how many speakers, and the interior dynamics of the vehicle etc.

Again, the amp will work (if it is the correct amp (DSP or non DSP)...but the sound may be muddled & unclear if it came from a vehicle that is not like yours, or is like your but not optioned the same as yours. That's why you'll read that a replacement amp needs to be coded. But again, if you are getting it from an e53 that is optioned the same way yours is...then you won't see any of the issues aforementioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.