BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

List Something You Discovered About Your Car AFTER You Bought It...

241K views 885 replies 308 participants last post by  daka 
#1 ·
I already have a few "aha's" about my car after I bought it. If everyone lists one or two, I'll bet we all walk away with a couple "I did not know that" things ourselves...

Here's a few I discovered after the purchase:

• The engine has no oil dipstick!
  • The hood and front side panels are not steel but aluminum!
  • My side view mirrors fold in when I push that little button by the mirror controls!:yikes:
Anyone else have some??

#2 · (Edited)
1) The battery needs a lot of TLC if you don't drive the car frequently and for longer distances at highway speeds. :yikes:

2) Pressing the Start button and holding it in for 1-2 seconds when the engine is running will completely turn the car off (engine and accessories).

3) You can press the start button with the Steptronic in gear and the engine running, and the trans will go into "Park" at the same time the engine shuts off.

I'll think of others, I'm sure.

#3 ·
[*]My side view mirrors fold in when I push that little button by the mirror controls!:yikes:
[/LIST]
Anyone else have some??
I was told that they will come out to the set position when you go 20MPH.
cheers
vern

#7 ·
Mine come out every morning when I pull out of the garage and slowly accelerate not at 20nor 21,22,23,24 but exactly at 25. As soon as the needle hit 25 they start to pop open, never 26 never 24. Since I live on a side street I can go slow enough to observe this.

#6 · (Edited)
- missing wallet key. though that's not so much of a feature as an annoyance as they misplaced it! and best part is the sales rep is trying to convince me he is doing me a favour by ordering one as they don't ship with the wallet keys anymore. (only e90s don't ship with wallet keys now)
- i still can't figure out where the brake fluid reservoir is located.
- powered headrests.
- the dashboard dimming switch dims the idrive screen too. seems kind of redundant given the screen has a manual setting for it. surprised the screen doesn't go to night time mode when the headlights are turned on.

#8 ·
For me the only real "I didn't know that" after I got the car was I didn't know that I would really like I Drive. I really anticipated I Drive to be a compromise that I needed to make to get a 5 series and thought at best I would tolerate it. I find I Drive to be rather fun to use and for some reason it comes very natural to me. I think the fact that I have an 09 with the buttons on the console, especially the "back" button adds a lot to the ease of I Drive.

#11 ·
At 100mph it cruises very well. Tough to get it to 100 during a test drive when it's not broken in yet.

It's as quick as hell. The engine has a nice whine to it during acceleration. Especially when the tranny is in manual & sport mode. Our previous 08 535i had the engine de-tuned so the turbo was not active at all engine rpm's.

Tried to get the tires rotated on our 08 535i. Can't. They are different widths.

It's tough to talk your way out of a speeding ticket when you drive a $60K car.

#15 ·
Power socket in the passenger's foot area as well.

#20 ·
The center console armrest slides forward on the driver's side.
Flashlight in the glovebox . . . Power socket :confused: Guess that's what I get for buying pre-owned. . .

#22 ·
-I can check the check control messages.
-I can check each service item and how long it will be until service.
-It alerts me if the temp. is under 37 degrees Fahrenheit.
-There is no engine oil dipstick.
-I can check the oil level via the Service menu.
-There is speed sensitive volume.
-I can tune the radio 3 different ways.

#23 ·
i think already mentioned but i really like that idea of a ventilation with an alarm. nice for when its really really warm out

#56 ·
The single-CD plays MP3's
That was worth the price of admission :thumbup: I had no clue...I just dumped a bunch of MP3's on a blank CD and popped it in and to my surprise, not only did it work, but it displays the song info as well...I just made a CD for my 528 and one for my wife's 328 who will be surprised when she gets in it and sees that.

#32 ·
+1 :thumbup:

#29 ·
My angel eyes only come on when I have the parking lights on.

No oil dipstick

Parked car operation in the idrive runs programmable ventilation in the car (nice surprise for us desert rats)

#30 ·
1. The radio buttons sense your touch (run your fingers over them) like an iPod wheel
2. The radio buttons (1-6) can tune your radio, dial a phn num, or save a Navigation destination
3. iDrive downloads my address book from by BlackBerry Curve.
4. The timers that turn on your air conditioning (and heating i assume) twice a day if you want.
5. You place in Drive, pull up the parking brake, let off the foot brake, it trys to move and then goes into Park

#210 · (Edited)
How to save a Nav destination

How do I program a destination into a radio button? I searched and couldn't find the answer. The manual is not really helpful. I got it, I was pushing the button to long and changing what i programed. You just can't program a Trip into a button.

Thanks

#31 ·
Just gotta say, I love this thread . . . I'm learning so much : popcorn: . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.