BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

i need a good lowering kit??

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  fporro 
#1 ·
i have an 86 325es 2 dr. i am looking to lower my car obviously. right now my car sits at 3.5in above rear tires and 2.5in above front tires. i need advice on what to buy to make my car sit nice and handle well. im also on a budget so not looking to spend a lot of money.

#2 ·
Plain facts: you can get parts to lower the car for cheap, but it won't handle or ride well as it could or should. You can spend a decent amount and lower it and at minimum maintain the handling it has as it sits. You can spend quite a bit on really quality stuff, drop it to exactly as much as you want, and substantially improve the handling. Your car, your money. You chose.

Cliffs version: you get what you pay for.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

#4 ·
H&R lowering springs, bilstein struts and shocks(sports), front camber kit, rear camber and toe kit... I did all this and upto about 6-700 so far... gettin alignment next week.

#5 ·
Did you order straight from manufacturer?

There's also this kit I've been looking at:

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/524/category_id/143/search_year/1989/search_model/34

The drop is 1.3 inches, I'm not sure if that would do much for performance though. I drive an 89 325i and would like to lower mine for performance. Anybody know the optimal hight for the best performance?

#7 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Unless your building a track car.. no need to spend all that money on coilovers to drive to work or school. I can almost promise you a good set up of springs shocks and alignment would be better to cheap coilovers. I've had tein coilovers on a integra with in-c-o-c-k pit controls, came with the car. It was nice for AutoX but not so nice for everyday. Too stiff and ended up replacing control arms and ball joints left and right. Sold that car for a awd dsm. --Best way to upgrade your suspension, stopping power, and acceleration is to buy Great Tires!--

#13 ·
Ground control lets you pick any spring rate you would like. Coilover conversions cost only a little bit more say $50. Its worth it to have adjustiblity. You still buy your own shocks and have to do a little angle grinding but its the best bang for your buck with E30 suspention.

#16 ·
Kinda what I was thinking.. I did on my Integra but only because I had a controller in the car. But never heard of someone raising there car back and getting it re-aligned after a autox weekend. Sounds more expensive for all the camber and toe adjustments. I set it and forget it with my combo :thumbup:

#18 · (Edited)
I do adjust suspension to match tire and rim setup, running H&R's.,

GC's are a great bargain for what you get and are good quality with great customer service.

go at it progressibly as funds come available.

- springs and shocks, (add or substract spring pads if need be as they do come in various thickness) or get coilover sleeves.
- offset CAB
- camber / caster plates and adjustable TA bushings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.