BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ignition & start-up gremlins

755 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  conzbmw 
#1 ·
I have not posted on this forum for ages as my car has been running tip top with the exception of a few oil leaks etc.

Over the last three weeks I have had starting issues. Typically, when I put the key in the ignition and turn to position two the dash lights up like a Xmas tree and boom she starts when I engaged position three. But now when I turn the key to position two I get radio, odometer, etc, but no dash lights. I then proceed to turn the key to position three, or start, and the starter motor just cranks with no starting of the actual motor.

I've had the battery and alternator checked and both are charging and putting out ample voltage, which leds me to believe that is isn't a battery or anti-theft problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks again to this forum for being so resourceful.

#2 ·
can you hear your fuel pump priming? if not then you have a failing fuel pump. if it is priming then check the below:
- has the fuel filter been changed?
- what about the spark plugs?
- your cylinders might be flooded, hit the gas while starting the car and see if it starts.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Hez,

The fuel pump etc is working fine no issues.

I switched key fobs about 5 days ago and boom the car started no problem up until today when I started experiencing the same problems now. Now, It won't even start after 45 minutes of trying, after trying both keys.

The main issue to me, is that typically when I turn the ignition the dash lights up, and the car starts. But in this case, I turn the key, and only the odometer and radio turn on. I proceed to turn the key in position there, or to start, and the starter just cranks and cranks with no issues. So obviously the car recognizes the key (security) but...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Car fixed today. Turns out it was the ignition switch and the relay. When the switch was installed the relay blew right away..

Hope this helps out any festers. I paid $105 for the switch and $65 for the relay with little to no labor..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.