BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Smartphone Integration & iPod and USB Adapter

21K views 58 replies 34 participants last post by  soledoc 
#1 ·
I'm about to place my order for a 535i. Actually, I've given my dealer a deposit but trying to decide on the color. But my question relates to my iPhone.

I'm getting Premium Package 2, which includes the iPod and USB adapter. The dealer suggested that I also order the Smartphone Integration. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm trying to understand what these two options are going to do for me.

Please, can someone enlighten me.

Thanks,

Ron

#3 ·
From what I understand, the Smartphone Integration just prepares the car to handle a smartphone. You then buy at delivery (or when you get a new phone) a new "adapter" that snaps into the center console for your specific phone. So you could order the Smartphone Integration, and whenever they release the iPhone 4 adapter, you just pick that up.

As far as differences between this, and using it just with the iPod interface, not sure.

#4 ·
My CA steered me away from this option. In addition to the expense, you indeed have yet get another adapter, and it only uses the car antenna and power. There are also reports that the USB won't work at the same time.
You might look into other way of integration the iphone (e.g. Bluetooth). I am not an exper there, but I was steered away by people who knew more.

-Magic

#5 ·
I ordered Smartphone integration, but I think it was possibly a mistake. I did so because my CA said that it can't be retrofitted and some of his customers regretted that they did not order it initially. Also, when I try to charge my iPhone in my 2008 E60, I get an error message and I can't play music stored on the iPhone. The Smartphone integration is supposed to make the iPhone work (charge, play tunes, make calls, use the car's antenna for better reception) seamlessly. But the cost is high. In addition to the Smartphone integration price, I think the iPhone adapter is around $200. Finally, as someone else remarked, if I take the phone out of my pocket when I get in the car, I am likely to leave the car without it. Dunno, can't win...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

#6 ·
I ordered Smartphone integration, but I think it was possibly a mistake. I did so because my CA said that it can't be retrofitted and some of his customers regretted that they did not order it initially.
I had it retrofitted in my "d" (2009).It wasn't cheap to do (~$300) but it took the dealer less than an hour.Of course things could be different in the newest models.

#7 ·
Does the iPod feature of the iPhone work with the iPod/USB adapter, i.e. does the music library show up on the display? It's amazing that my dealer knows very little about this feature. I assume then, that the smartphone interface is just for the phone portion of the iPhone and is instead of using bluetooth. Or will it also handle the music and show on the display?

I have to admit, I'm totally confused as to what is and is not needed. Since I've not yet picked the color, the car order has not been sent in, and I'd like to get it right. As Tunafish mentioned, if all that's needed is around a $200 adapter, considering all the money that's being spent on the car, that is quite nominal.

#10 ·
if all that's needed is around a $200 adapter, considering all the money that's being spent on the car, that is quite nominal.
Actually, that's not all... you will need to order "Smartphone integration" for $150 just to have someplace to plug the $200 adapter in. If you didn't have a package which already includes the ipod & USB adapter, you would have to get that as well ($400). Ouch!

#8 ·
I am not sure about issues with the latest iphone --- I won't know until I pick up my car in early September .... but given how lousy iphone/ ATT reception is in general --- the integration with the car antenna (which nearly triples the signal wattage) would seem to be a must.

#9 ·
I didn't get the smartphone integration. My dealer also steered me away from it. My iPhone works fine without it.

With the phone in my pocket, the the contact database (through bluetooth) is available on the idrive screen. Calls are integrated and sound quality is just fine. I can connect the iPhone to the adapter in the armrest to access the iTunes library which is also available on the idrive screen. The phone charges when it's connected. Works great - no complaints.

#11 ·
I didn't get the smartphone integration. My dealer also steered me away from it. My iPhone works fine without it.

With the phone in my pocket, the the contact database (through bluetooth) is available on the idrive screen. Calls are integrated and sound quality is just fine. I can connect the iPhone to the adapter in the armrest to access the iTunes library which is also available on the idrive screen. The phone charges when it's connected. Works great - no complaints.
That's what I was trying to determine. So the music library of the iPhone is accessible through the iPod interface and also serves to charge the phone? In my area (here in flat Florida) our AT&T reception and signal quality is very good, so bluetooth should be sufficient for me.

Think I'm going to delete the smartphone integration option.

Thanks,
Ron

#12 ·
I have the cradle in my 650i. After using it with two phones, I have given up on it. BMW gets $100+ for the adapter for each phone. That wasn't too bad, until I started upgrading with each iPhone. In addition to the cost, I put my phone in a case. With the cradle, it has to come out of the case every time I want to put it in the car. Much easier to just keep it in my pocket....

#13 ·
For me, I liked the better reception that one gets with the shark fin antenna so I ordered it.

#16 ·
I still say the decision on this option comes down to reception where you drive --- if you are having problems like we do on occasion, the ability to use your car's powerful antenna over the one in your phone is useful. Otherwise better off spending the $125 (invoice) on some BMW apparel!

#17 ·
No one has specifically explained the options and how they work so let me give it a shot:

There are 3 things BMW will give you the option to pay for. iPod/USB support, smartphone integration module, and customized phone cradle for the smartphone integration module.

The iPod/USB module is a 3.5mm jack (like your headphones) and a USB port. In my 3-series they are both in the center armrest... in the 5 there is a port in the glove box (cant remember if this is in addition to or in place of). All this feature does is allow MP3s to be played through your aux player setting (hit the CD/DVD button on the iDrive). It will use the music tagging on the ipod or other usb device (a memory stick will work), if it is present.

The Smartphone integration module is a bracket in the armrest. It runs power to charge your phone, and "claims" to run antenna reception to the shark fin for better reception. However in order to use your smart phone integration module you must use a customized cradle that matches your phones design. This cradle snaps into the module. As far as I can tell this module fits current iPhones, and the iPhone 4 isnt going to fit right... I will know for sure in a week or so. I have bought all of this for my 335, which is my wifes daily driver -- but after we have had it for about a year now, I think that this solution is too much money for what you get and here's why.

The iPhone cradle with smartphone integration only charges the phone as far as I can tell. The antenna reception through the shark fin is anecdotal at best, and ineffective in practice (though YMMV). Through numerous tests we cannot distinguish the difference in call quality whether the phone is in pocket, purse, dock, or otherwise. To me, this makes sense since knowing the design features of the iPhone, there is not an engineering specific that allows better antenna quality by docking of the phone -- to the point, there is no other apple-branded or otherwise aftermarket signal improving dock out there. Why would a BMW car be the only exception?

Secondly, this dock does not use its data connection capabilities to sync your contacts, music, etc. Phone connection to you and your contacts still occurs over the bluetooth of your phone and car. While using the smartphone integration and the cradle, the music on your iPhone is completely inaccessible! To me the whole point of the smartphone integration would be to have its information fully accessible and integrated with my vehicle! Now, if I undock the iphone and use the USB/ipod connection, I can get to the music on my phone... My wife had an extra 32GB iPOD that she doesnt really use anymore, so she just loaded it up with music and leaves it in the car -- its a less than elegant solution, but to be honest, if we did this in the first place we would have saved some money. Depending on length of trip, she may or may not dock the iphone, but it is purely for charging purposes.

When I order my 5er, I think I am going to get the USB/iPod, but skip the smartphone integration and docking module. Keep in mind that the 5er also has a 6GB internal storage drive that you can also put music on if you so desire.

B-1

#24 ·
While using the smartphone integration and the cradle, the music on your iPhone is completely inaccessible! To me the whole point of the smartphone integration would be to have its information fully accessible and integrated with my vehicle! Now, if I undock the iphone and use the USB/ipod connection, I can get to the music on my phone...
B-1
Be carefull here. Having the craddle doesnt mean you have the smartphone integration. You need to have this
"the extended connectivity of the music player in the mobile phone (special option SA 6NF) "
which I think it is waht they call the smartphone integration in US.

I know that because the first snap in adapter I got was not the right one and I was not able to acccess my library. The dealer had to give a different one to enable the access.

I suggest a read on the below link in order to clarify on that
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/bluetooth/faq.html

#19 · (Edited)
B-1 pilot, I look forward to your update. If the iphone 4 doesn't fit, I will delete that option, because antenna boosting is the key reason to get this..... I am surprised to hear it may not fit though, since dimensions are not that different.

The signal boost is a real and verifiable phenomenon --- I have done some testing with a similar set up in a M-B. I will try to post some scientific links I have seen on this topic.

On a separate note there are numerous aftermarket products available for boosting the cell signal (one example: http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-801242-MobilePro-Multiple/dp/B001JT1E5G).

#20 ·
You have to buy a cradle for whatever phone you have after delivery - the smartphone integration is essentially just the "prep" to handle their custom cradles. So you can always pick up a new cradle whenever they release one for the new iPhone 4 or 5 or whatever.

#21 ·
To integrate or not...

Alright, here's the hands on. Having owned the 2008 335i Coupe with iPod adapter and taken delivery (last Friday night) of my 2011 535i. I can tell you that it's either or.

In my 2011 535i, I have P2 with the iPod/USB option, and in this car, there are indeed 2 (TWO) USB ports, 1 in the center console and the other in the glove compart. But before you get too excited, the one in the glove only provides power.

Now, here's how it works. iPod or iPhone, BMW will give you a special cable - a dual cable with USB and audio Jack. When plugged in, you can control your iPod/iPhone from the idrive or steering wheel. All playlists, all artists, everything.

Now, here's the kicker: that same USB plug in the center console (not glove compart.) will also take a USB flash drive loaded with your 1000's of songs, also controlled by idrive or steering wheel. Don't have an iPod? No need.

So, my iPhone 4 stays safely in it's jacket and connects via Bluetooth to keep LE happy. Plus updating the flash drive is simpler than iTunes and syncing.

As for the car - Dark graphite metallic / Venetian beige Dakota, P1 / P2 / Sports with 19" wheels / Comfort access

#23 ·
I'm about to place my order for a 535i. Actually, I've given my dealer a deposit but trying to decide on the color. But my question relates to my iPhone.

I'm getting Premium Package 2, which includes the iPod and USB adapter. The dealer suggested that I also order the Smartphone Integration. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm trying to understand what these two options are going to do for me.

Please, can someone enlighten me.

Thanks,

Ron
Hi Ron, I have this option on my 530d GT. It will give you a craddle on the arm rest, where you can plug your phone and get access to the music library, control it using iDrive and recharge. To connect the phone to the craddle, you need one of the adapters available. I assume BMW gives you one initial choice (at least I got mine for free). If you change the phone, you change the adapter.

Although, I do not believe that there is iPhone 4 adapter available yet. You need to check.

If you do not get this option, you will need a special bmw cable (iPod adapter cable) if you want to access your iPhone library. I tried with a regular iphone cable and doesn't work.
You connect this cable to the USB plug in the arm rest.

The other USB plug mentioned on the thread (in the glove box) is not only to provide power, but to import/export information to the car like user profiles and routes for the navigation system.

For phone functions, you just need the bluetooth option.

Hope this helps and let me know you if you have any other question.

#27 ·
just get a dedicated ipod for music to use in the console connection, otherwise its just a waste.

i thought that there was a real advantage to the smartphone option, now i know better.

#28 ·
I have the smartphone option with the cradle for my Blackberry Bold as well as the USB adapter for my iPod Touch. I like being able to easily store and charge my Blackberry as well as to control my iPod via the iDrive. That being said, I agree with others that the smartphone option is a waste of money for iPhone users who can simply use the USB adapter.

#30 ·
#32 · (Edited)
I don't know how people keep getting this wrong. When you have 6NF and a smartphone cradle you do have access to your music/books exc. in the 5 series on your iPhone. You can see demo's of this on several youtube clips. The new announcement for cars made in Sept 2010 allows some different options but you need to read the announcement.

The new cradle for the iphone 4 when it comes out probably will have access to the antenna since the antenna is exposed therefore it can be connected to. The current iPhones have no antenna connections either externally or thru the connector. Some people report better signals but it would have to be because of the close proximity of the antenna not a direct connection.

#35 ·
535i/iphone

Don't waste your money on Smartphone integration.My iphone 4 works just fine with bluetooth... All functions available in the idrive screen. If I want to listen to my music (on the phone) I plug in the supplied cable into the jacks in the center armrest, the phone goes into the storage compartment, and all music is available on the idrive AND the phone is charging.

#36 ·
Adapter for iPhone: which part number?

I hate to beat this dead horse, but I have a 2011 (July 2010 build) 535i, with iPod and Smartphone integration. I see 4 possible iPhone 3GS adapters sold by BMW. Which do I pick?

PN 84 10 9 182 792 iPhone snap-in adapter
PN 84 10 9 184 213 iPhone USB snap in
PN 84 21 2 158 683 iPhone 3G USB snap in
PN 84 21 2 162 534 iPhone Touch Smart Phone Integration

BMW should get some kind of award for creating confusion...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.