BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

745 door handle bulbs

28K views 170 replies 25 participants last post by  Yester 
#1 ·
anyone know what kind of bulbs are in the door handles of the 745Li id like to replace them with a more xenon looking led like in the new models

#3 ·
thanks! but ugh wtf im a bit confused

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GN63&mospid=47785&btnr=63_0737&hg=63&fg=30

i believe its the part no. 06 but wtf is that???? it says light module but that looks intense to me

sorry its a good site bro but it confuses the **** out of me lol can you kinda explain it to me or find the bulb im looking for cause i have no clue.

i have a 2004 745Li so i think you would click E66->745Li->10/2003

#7 ·
Was in the shop every 3 weeks for 7 days on average for a year+.

BMW bought it back and gave me a loaded 2006 750Li in its place, and when i say loaded i mean loaded. Has every single option but the sports package.

#10 ·
Wow :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: that bad??? What were your issues mainly? electronic software related?

My friends has had the same story....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181910

Also last week they ordered a new differential......wats left? The Engine :mad:

So do you miss the fridge in the rear seats :angel: and the full leather with suede headliner :bigpimp:

#9 ·
I told you before and Im telling you again...you MUST remove the door panel to get to this bulb.

If you dont want to open up the door panel just to see what kind of bulb it is and if anyone even makes it in hyperwhite or LED, then go to the dealer and buy the bulb. Then you can see exactly what style it is. My bet is that its a bayonet style bulb, probably a Ba9

#19 ·
Actually the bulb size is a Ba9....
I went on Ebay and I bought 4 LED in Ba9 size...the only problem here is removing the door panel, it sucks and is really hard because you don't want to do a mess in your door panel, there's 5 screws you need to remove, one is behind the air bag plastic emblem, 2 in the middle of door, one behind the handle, and another small one in theplastic party closer to the body of the car. Then after that you need to pull really hard to release the plastic retainers, pulling from the bottom.
Then there's a little black cylinder and the bulb is there inside.

#23 ·
I just learned that the you don't need any error free lights in courtesy lights, interiors.... I'll do it this , I'll keep you guys posted...

And most of the lights the car uses are equivalent to t10 in LED.

The only ones you need to be error free are reverse lights, license plates, stop, angel eyes, turn and that's it.

#32 ·
Have you figured out how to do this? The BMW online TIS says:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/55/26

BMW TIS - 63 99 486 Replacing light module for front left or right outside door handle lighting (up to 09/2004)

Necessary preliminary tasks:

Remove front door trim panel

Disconnect plug connection [1];

Unlock both catches [2]; and detach light guide [3];

Release screw [4];

Remove light module for outside door handle lighting [5];

Installation:

Catches [1]; of light module for outside door handle lighting [2]; must engage correctly when fiber optic guide is inserted.

Doesn't seem that difficult. I wish I had the correct LED's. I would have tried this when I retrofitted the power folding mirrors last weekend.

Attachments

#36 ·
I haven't done the project, but I did take my door off to see for myself what I was dealing with before I went out and bought bulbs.

1st - you do not need to remove the entire door panel. I disconnected the negative battery terminal just in case since there is an air bag in the door. I then removed the 5 screws in the door and then worked my way around unclipping the door from bottom right all the way around, but I did not remove the top clips. I left a 5 gallon bucket upside down just below the door just in case the panel were to fall. I then lay down on my back right under the door with my head near the end of the door near the steering wheel. If you tilt the door panel at an angle just enough (6-8 inches) you can see the light module. All you need to do is disconnect the cable from the bottom, disconnect the fiber from the top by pressing the 2 clips and then pulling up. Once the light module has been detached you can remove it altogether by using a ratchet with a torn 30 bit (might be 25 but pretty sure it was 30). Once the screw is removed just pull the light module away and it separates into two pieces. push down and twist and the bulb comes right out. The bulb was a 64113 12volt 10watt halogen. I believe it is also known as a BA9S, which was mentioned in this post. I just wanted to confirm for myself. I will now go out and buy the bulbs (either ultra white halogen or white LED on a BA9S base). I have included pictures so you can see for yourself.

Jeff

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.