BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Replace runflats

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  septaken 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my rf on 550x drive, looking for recommendations I've heard some good things about pilot super sports, what else should I check?

#2 ·
I am interested in the best winter performance tire (specifically for winter driving, including snow).

I would like to get new tires the day my F10 arrives (Feb) so I can keep the OEM RF's stored away until lease turn in. I will need winters to start.

-Corey

#5 ·
Are you looking for the best tires for driving in the Winter or the best tires for the ice & snow? Given it doesn't snow often here, I picked what I think were best Winter performance tires that will also work in the snow (Michelin Pilot Alpins) vice a studdable snow tire that works great in the snow, but doesn't perform that well when it isn't snowing.

#3 ·
Your xDrive currently has all seasons. Pilot Super Sports are summer tires. Are you planning on swapping each season?

#7 ·
Michelin pilot a/s great for NYC year round driving. Worked great in snow and very well in the summer. Continental dw seems to have great reviews as a summer tire. If you're worried about bubbles and wheel damage on your 19" wheel, consider getting a tire sized 245/45/19 as opposed to the recommended 245/40/19

#8 · (Edited)
I would not advice all weather tires. Summers perform much better, as long there are no winter conditions you should drive your 5 series on dedicated summer tires, like the ssp's. I think D's choice for winter rubber the way to go, my Bridgstone rft winters are making horrible sounds after just 10k miles, I can not wait to change them for a set of alpins, although I have to say these Blizzacks perform very nicely in the snow.

#9 · (Edited)
Do not use summer tires where the temps. go below freezing regardless of snow conditions. Summer tires lose allot of traction when the temps. get cold because the rubber hardens, a dangerous condition.

If you don't want to swap out tires for winter your better off getting an A/S tire that leans towards dry performance over snow traction like the Michelin Pilot A/S plus but then you have the run flat issue since it's not available in a run flat version in our size. I had them on my Audi S5 and they were good in the dry and rain but just fair in snow.

What I'm thinking of doing like "djsilo" mentioned is getting a 45 series tire since I've had many bubble problems with the Goodyear LS2 245/40/19 tires. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-960-AS Pole Position run flat which comes in 245/45/19 and is a newer design run flat compared to the Goodyears. I'm not sure if BMW will honor my wheel and tire insurance though if i don't use the original OEM tire. Why can't this be simple.

#11 ·
Can you make it until next Spring / Summer? If so, it looks like the Pilot Sport AS3's will be a great setup for you in Philly, where it does get cold and wet.

Otherwise recommend the current Pilot Sport All Season Plus (I have had two sets) if you cannot wait.

As was said, if you are not going to switch tires, even if you will avoid snow, the high performance all seasons make more sense where you are.

#13 ·
In a transitional area like Philly, where you don't usually get a lot of snow, it may be more hassle than it's worth. High performance all seasons offer usually about 85% to 90% of the performance of high performance summer, but can do duty in the cold and snow if pressed. Not nearly as good as snows, but if snows aren't necessary (i.e. roads quickly plowed or snow quickly melts) can be fine.

My Pilot Super Sports are certainly overkill here with the type of driving and roads in Houston, but what the hell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.