BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-8 335i Reliablilty

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Boraxo 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a used 335i and am really worried about the long term reliability of a 335i. The one I am looking at has 85k miles and hasn't had any major problems but how reliable is a 335i?

#2 ·
Oh, yeah. We can tell you how that car will do.

Look here jvatter - if you're 'really worried' this isn't the car for you - Lexus is your game.

If you're looking for basic transportation - Lexus or Honda are choices. Accord's much improved.

If you're still interested, a visit to an Indy for pre-purchase inspection will tell you much more than a string of Internet posts will. You'd do well to simply lurk & read here awhile -- E90POST -- N54TECH.

There are a number of well known mods available to dramatically improve the ride, or you can purchase M3 which comes stock with most of 'em.

Good luck in your search!

#14 ·
Well, I would go for a Lexus or similar brand but I've always loved BMW and I have finally have the money put back to get one. So I figured a 335 would be a good fit for me.
This is way too loose to make up the decision.

CAN BUY: I would say that, if they really wanted it, 90% of Americans can buy a BMW vehicle.

CAN AFFORD: I would say that less than 10% of Americans can afford to have a BMW as a daily driver.

If this is to be your daily driver, I would suggest to walk if you do not:
a) have $5,000 of disposable income to have it available on moment's notice
b) intend to spend north of $1,000 per year on average in ordinary maintenance

However, as somebody else said above, if this is your toy to have fun with and you can't care less if it is stranded in your garage ... then absolutely go for it. There are extremely few occasions to get 300+ hp car that looks very decent and rides like E9x - all of that for roughly $20k. Just make sure you have a Honda Civic as a daily driver if you don't have money as specified above.

Good luck!

#5 ·
I have a 2007. It has 64k miles on it, bought it Jan 2010 with 36k miles. I've had one HPFP go out, and dead battery shortly after I bought it, and replaced spark plugs summer 2011 but since then nothing major. I've replaced burned out angel eyes twice and the tail light socket once. TPMS is currently not functioning, but I just ignore it.

#6 ·
In the new 2014 Consumer Reports Buying Guide, the 2007-2008 335i is still on its "used cars to avoid" list.

My 328i has been surprisingly unreliable, considering that the 328i is supposed to be one of the most reliable BMW models, and considering how little my car is driven. (I blame Oktoberfest, since the car was assembled just after that time.) I still like the car, but it's not been very reliable.

#7 ·
What has been wrong with your 328i?

#8 ·
Judging from this post and the fact that you are "really worried", my advice is to skip the 335 and go for something Japanese.

On the other hand, if you can commit to a strict maintenance schedule and won't be financially burdened by sudden repairs (i.e turbos, water pump, etc...) then a 335 can be a rewarding car to drive. Once again though, you cannot expect Japanese reliability.

#16 ·
I drive a 2009 335 cab with 120,000 kms.

You got to crazy to buy a 335 I with 85,000 miles unless you're prepare to spend money on a good after market warranty. I'm on to my second set of fuel injectors car is in the shop as I write this. These cars are too complicated, computerized to be reliable. Yes they look great, drive really nicely, I get tons of compliments especially in the summer with the top down. But you need to invest in a warranty otherwise you are playing Russian roulette! Tire warranty as well ! Six months into my lease had water pump replaced, four months later fuel injectors malfunctioned. Another two months rear run flat broke and completely wrecked the side of the car.....$5,000 in body work. Thank you for covering the repair BMW! Just last week oil filter gasket and some other gasket replaced....luckily under warranty otherwise would have cost me over $1,000.00, now second set of injectors!

#19 ·
I picked up my '07 new on ED in May '07. I've had a couple minor repairs (like most any car) but it's been a very reliable car for me. I may be a little leery buying a used one with 85k, just because I don't know what happened during those miles.

#20 ·
I'm with Mark K on this, IMO his replies are spot on.
As much as I'd like to say the 335 is a fine daily driver it's just not.

Set aside $5k like he said or just hold on to your car that you had before you wanted to buy a 335.
If you haven't kept up on your previous car and you're getting rid of it cause its falling apart, that should be a warning to you on how you treat your cars and again maybe a 335 isn't for you.

#22 ·
My 07 has been a daily driver for 6+ years now. I may be jinxing myself, but I probably spent $700-800 on repairs since the warranty expired. That includes oil changes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#25 ·
I wouldn't buy one with that many miles. I got my 2008 335i sport in 2010 for 23k including TT&L with 52k miles on it. It still has CPO until 3/2014 and I just hit 86k miles. I've had a water pump fail, injectors fail, and HPFP fail. That's three times in about 30k miles my car left me stranded. That is not counting the three times I replaced a rear run flats before I realized the rear wheels were defective.

I plan on driving this case like I stole it past 200k miles, but Ive got mad cash and a accord, 4runner and cbr1000rr as a back up.

If its your only ride and you want dependable go get a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.

#27 · (Edited)
Here's what I've put into my 2006 BMW 330i over the past year (currently @ 92k miles): Spark Plugs, Rear brakes and rotors, Water pump and thermostat, Battery - all original equipment except brakes. Grand total = $2000+ at my local indy shop. This does not include $100 oil changes or tires. Also keep in mind that "lifetime" transmission fluid should generally be replaced at 100k, another $400 flushed (pun intended).

This was an exceptional year, the car has been largely problem free until now. But the point is that when you enter the 50k-100k range there are certain parts that reach the end of their useful life, and my average has been $1k/yr in maintenance & repairs since 50k warranty expired. So if prior owner has not replaced you will be looking at some expense. Ergo I would not buy a BMW with 85k miles unless you have the resources to fund sudden but inevitable repairs.

To be fair this is my daily driver, and it had never broken down except for the dead battery (which signaled its impending demise). And the RFTs spare you the inconvenience of changing a tire roadside on the way to work (simply drive to a tire shop later at your convenience). So at this point I don't plan to dump it, but then again it is paid for. Even with $2k this year I still come out way ahead v. payments for a new model. Though I am jonesing for a M6 sedan :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.