BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Shopping list for Water pump

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  oembimmerparts 
#1 ·
Hey guys, it's been awhile, which means that my car has been running well.

Noticed my radiator coolant has been draining slowing, and under the car, I found a small leak back behind the belts. The radiator and hoses are dry and good. Friend says he thinks its the Water Pump, and I think it probably is.

So, I was going to order the parts tonight and fix it on Monday labor day,
I was thinking of buying this:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...E46 3 Series, All Except M3 (1999-05), Each

over at Pelican parts, $51 for the pump, but from the drawing, that it doesn't come with the pulley.

1. Do I re-use the old pulley, or do I need to get one, or does this part come with it attached?
2. Anyone know some good DIYs for this job?
3. What else do I need to get? I have a bottle of coolant still, for a jug of distilled water, so I think I can make enough coolant. I also might buy my windshield washer pump and install that. 3rd, I changed the Idler pulley and Tensioner pulley, but never the AC pulley, thinking, maybe i should do that, while I'm there?

thanks guys, I want to make my order and get this stuff this week, I'd hate to have the car in pieces without all my new parts on hand.

Andy

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks,

I didn't see a water pump Pulley on the list from that link you shared. Can I keep using my old pulley, or would it be a good idea to change it? (not that I have a lot of cash)

Also, thinking about getting some M6 screws, in case the pump is hard to get off, another good idea?

Washer for Engine drain plug?

#5 ·
Yep, you reuse the old coolant pump pulley. I replaced the coolant plug crush ring, per the DIY. Necessary? No idea, but it was cheap. If you haven't (or it's been a while since you) replaced the coolant system - thermostat, belts, expansion tank, upper and lower hoses - this is probably as good a time as any. I got a kit from ECP for under 300, but I know OEMBimmerParts has one for a bit over 300. It's really not too bad a DIY, save for the precautions on the drain plug. I put up a testamonial recently with some good feedback, if you want to search for it. Dedicate a Saturday (or *your* day off) morning to it, and it's peace of mind in the proverbial bank.

#6 ·
thanks,

I've changed the Idler and tensioner pulley and the expansion tank and thermostat.

The only thing I haven't done yet is the water pump (which needs done, it has a leak)
and I haven't changed the AC Drive Belt tensioner and pulley. I'm thinking I should do it, because I started getting the squealing in the mornings, but I'm not sure if that one is a difficult pulley/tensioner to change... I remember not wanting to do it for some reason. (maybe it was the cost at another $50)

#7 ·
We have a list of parts for cooling system overhaul here:
- List & picture of all the cooling system overhaul parts to replace (1) (2) (3)

Most do not replace the water pump pulley - but - do note that they tend to explode when damaged so check yours for damage when you remove it.

#8 ·
I would replace the pulley as well. Having done several BMW cooling systems I have seen the existing composite pulley get old and brittle in many cases. Some had chunks missing out of the edges and were on the verge of falling apart. One I did had cracked and fell apart after taking the bolts out. Not worth the worry to me when a replacement pulley is relatively inexpensive.

Pulley:
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/part_number/11%2051%201%20436%20590

Pump:
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/part_number/11%2051%207%20527%20910 (graf brand recommended)

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.