BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ABS Relay - 2001 530i - Location - Part#

Tags
530i abs relay
49K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Alika808 
#1 ·
I have been reading up on the ABS and DSC dash lights. They come on and stay on. They will go off for a while as well. They do not flash on and off. So, from what I have read, a good place to start (cheap) is to replace the ABS relay. The only problem with that is, I have the Bentley manual but it doesn't show the location in my car or the part number I need. Looking around to find this information on the Internet is making me crazy as I can't find it there either!

Can anyone help me out here? Where is/are the ABS relay/s located and what is the part number I need to purchase? Pictures or diagrams would be nice if you have them. :)

I know it could be a sensor. If it gets to that I will take it in to have them tested.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

#5 · (Edited)
DSC Light ect

That is an intense write-up, very well done. I have recently bought a 2002 530i and have the same problem...sort of. I noticed the ASC and ABS lights on and the speedo and vacuum gauges not working. Again stopping and switching the ignition off cleared the fault...for a while. Anyway went up to a BMW service centre the other day to get it checked out and again on the way the ASC and ABS light came on....but this time the speedo and vacuum gauges were working??

(I did take both rear wheels off before I left and cleaned the inside of the rims and gave the speed sensors a bit of a wiggle to make sure everything was secure)

The BMW service report was "speed sensor fault on both L/H sensors, fault cleared, possibly control unit"

So does this mean that BMW dont know precisely either? Surely they dont change expensive parts on spec? BTW speed sensors over here in Australia are $500AU ($550US), so if they need changing I'll be buying them from the US ($78US),

Also no lights came on during the 60 mile trip home.

Thoughts anyone?

PS. How do I tell what model 530i I have, it is supposed to be a High-Tech Sport, I know it's a Sport but how do you tell if it's a High Tech ?

Cheers

Glen.
Australia

#9 ·
DSC problem - ABS is fine

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but have been having a DSC issue so I hope someone can help!

Thanks for your photo cn90... very helpful, however my ABS/DSC relays are not in this location.

I have a RHD 1999 540i and the only issue I have is the DSC light is on and the DSC is not working. There is a fault code in the ABS system (I think 088) that relates to the pre charge pump... the ABS, cruise control, speedo etc are all working fine. The resistance across the pre charge pump (located under the driver's side cabin filter box next to the brake master cylinder and booster) terminals is 0.7 Ohms which I believe (from other research) is normal. A lot of research has suggested the issue may be the light pink ABS relays (Pelican says there are two of them). I have bought the new relays but cannot find where they are located. I have done many searches which all seem to suggest they are located under the passenger side cabin filter box where the DME and transmission computers are located but they don't seem to be there. There are numerous other relays there but not the ABS relays (I think they may have been there in earlier models or perhaps with the DME for LHD cars).

Any help as to the location of these relays or any other issues to check would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Scott (Sydney, Australia)

#11 ·
trying to locate ABS Relay and color for 01 bmw 530i e39

hi, i can not locate the ABS Relay, the relay box is similar or exact as E39 540. even though i have 2001 530i , the relay box looks exactly like the one you posted of the 540!!. my car is 6 cylinders not 8 as of in 540. i went to the dealer and i gave him a relay number he said that it goes by color so i asked him for a light pink assuming my relay box is of the 530 model where the ABS is in light pink color, guess what he came back to me with a black relay which i assume that maybe they did change their system but when i open the Relay box under the left cabin filter box, for my surprise there was no light pink nor black rely. and as i mentioned the layout was of the 540, the one posted . please advise and help. would appreciate very much with picture defining with arrows. thanks

Attachments

#12 ·
hi, i can not locate the ABS Relay, the relay box is similar or exact as E39 540. even though i have 2001 530i , the relay box looks exactly like the one you posted of the 540!!. my car is 6 cylinders not 8 as of in 540. i went to the dealer and i gave him a relay number he said that it goes by color so i asked him for a light pink assuming my relay box is of the 530 model where the ABS is in light pink color, guess what he came back to me with a black relay which i assume that maybe they did change their system but when i open the Relay box under the left cabin filter box, for my surprise there was no light pink nor black rely. and as i mentioned the layout was of the 540, the one posted . please advise and help. would appreciate very much with picture defining with arrows. thanks
I know this is too old topic, but I am wondering if you find the ABS Relay location. I have 2002 525i with the same set-up like in the picture. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.