Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
I don't think anyone gets into the film/tv business with the hope of winning an award, it's a such a long shot anyway, you'd have to be nuts.

Actors are notorious for poor self-esteem, it's one of the reasons they act - they can inhabit other characters and disappear from their own - attention, respect, admiration is something they crave, but often receive uncomfortably - fear is often the guiding principle.

Here's my "pro" for actors, who often receive a lot of "cons" from people on the internet and elsewhere who don't understand what they do:

A solid, professional actor has to be able to inhabit a character, with all its flaws and nuances, reliably take after take, with lines memorized, with every movement you see on the screen memorized (blocking) - he has to be able to hit little marks on the floor at designated times so the light and focus are just right and he has to make you believe it's all effortless - take after take from different angles and POV's. Often in front of tons of crew.

It ain't easy and it's a LOT of pressure - really solid professional actors are highly intelligent, they have to be - they may have what many view to be "cooky" ideas, but that doesn't make them "idiots" any more than guys driving around cones all day on a Sunday can be considered stupid.

I like the Oscars because it's a live show full of pageantry - everyone gets the day off and it's just fun.
Had a boss many years ago who had this theory on actors. He believed the absolute best were of two types: either they were so intelligent they could subvert their personalities or were really stupid and had so little going on that they could become anyone - an empty conduit if you.

Visiting sets and talking with friends who work on sets/talent, etc they could see the validity in his theory. My boss' theory came mostly from theater trained actors as two of his wives did theater as a profession but sometimes when you hear a few really good actors speak you think, "Ah, there's just nothing going on upstairs." or "Dang, that person is super smart."

Right or wrong, while I think McConaughey fits this mold. He was creepy sublime in Killer Joe, pretty charming in Mud, a great weirdo in Wolf of Wall Street and very, very good in True Detective. Yet put a mic in front of him and it's Marisa Tomei all over again.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Intersting insight into how McConaughey approached his role in True Detective.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...cohle-20140304

I rarely watch HBO "series" but I am really digging True Detective.
If you haven't, pick up the Kindle edition of the book The King in Yellow (which is what inspired so much of True Detective) on Amazon for free. You can see the connections instantly.

Last edited by brkf; 03-06-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Back and forth banter removed. Find and use PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Back and forth banter removed. Find and use PM.
Dang, I miss all the good stuff.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Nah, it wasn't good.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
In his speech his gave praise to the big man but the movie looked terrible.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I searched youtube for that speech and found the whole Oscars video there. So nice to be able to skip forward over the silly name calling (I want to thank xyz and what's his name).

So, Ellen's opening was good. Not great, but good, and she was funny without insulting or being condescending to anybody. What a concept.

And Matthew McConaughey speech was good IMO. I used to dislike him a lot. Too smug, show-offy, always shirt off, not showering, always the sweaty look, etc. Then I saw him in a movie and he was a good actor. Hmm, OK... Then another movie and he was very good. OK, the guy got real talent. Then a few episodes of the True Detective and OK, that guy can ACT.

While looking for his speech on Youtube I found an interview with him when he explains that "alright, alright, alright". It's based on a movie he saw there the character said 4 times alright and explained that to somebody. It essentially means "check check check". You know, of life achievements. Or on a to-do list, or a bucket list. So Mat had 3 "checks". It became kind of an inside joke that people know what he means. I guess getting the Oscar was another "check!". So he said in the end "Alright, alright, alright" and notice with his finger, he pointed like "check check check". Many laughed because they knew what it means. It was kind of funny to see it AFTER I learnt what it is just a few days earlier.

LOL.. So much for remembering what was that about. Here he explains it.

Last edited by MatWiz; 03-13-2014 at 06:52 PM.