BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW X5 warning meaasage for brake and rear lights

19K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mark2895 
#1 ·
My 2004 BMW X5 displayed a warning message on my dar that said "Check reaer brake light" followed by :Check rear lights", I brought my car to the local dealer and they proceded to check the lights summarizing that they both work properly and the warning indicator my be the cause by an old light housing that may need replacement at approx. $300 each. I Googles my problem and on a chat site they recommended cleaning the light bulb contact points. When I removed the lights including the holders I found that with 2 of them there were corrosion on the metal contacts which I scraped, sanded and replaced. Theat corrected the problem and now the warning message does not come on. It took 15 minutes to remove, clean the light bulb contact points and replace them. Everything works properly now. Anyone having this problem should do what I did before going to the dealer. Saved myself $600+.

Wayne

Mill Valley

#2 ·
Hello and Welcome :hi: Good thing you were able to fix it yourself :thumbup:

#4 ·
My 2004 BMW X5 displayed a warning message on my dar that said "Check reaer brake light" followed by :Check rear lights", I brought my car to the local dealer and they proceded to check the lights summarizing that they both work properly and the warning indicator my be the cause by an old light housing that may need replacement at approx. $300 each. I Googles my problem and on a chat site they recommended cleaning the light bulb contact points. When I removed the lights including the holders I found that with 2 of them there were corrosion on the metal contacts which I scraped, sanded and replaced. Theat corrected the problem and now the warning message does not come on. It took 15 minutes to remove, clean the light bulb contact points and replace them. Everything works properly now. Anyone having this problem should do what I did before going to the dealer. Saved myself $600+.

Wayne

Mill Valley
Hey Wayne ~ You give a perfect example of how and why the 'Fest works! You're a keeper! Welcome. :):wave:

#5 ·
And that my friend is the problem with BMW service these days. It's all about an operation vs. customer service (although I suspect it's not just BMW). Whne your car has a problem, they try step one on the checklist and then step 2, etc. Someone along the way forgot to apply common sense and experience.

#6 ·
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! i was about to spend hundreds to a dealership to replace the light housing (which included the bulb holders and the bulbs) until i read this post. i took out all the bulbs and bulb holders, got a piece of sand paper and very lightly scraped the ends of bulb tips and the inside metal tip of the holder, put them back in and the light hasnt been on since. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.