BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Strong Competitors for 530i out there ???

7K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  aspensilver540 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I don't know if it's just me.....but I can't think of a SINGLE car that matches the 530i in class, performance, luxury, and specially handling...........IS there one, or two...???

What would come closer to the 530i, and I mean comparing apples to apples. (Plz don't compare other cars which are way OFF in specs).

I'm sure you've all thought about it sometimes.... Let's hear it... :bigpimp:

#2 ·
Are you referring only to 10+ year old cars? That would be a true apples to apples comparison. An Audi A6 or an Infiniti G35 are the only two that come to mind. While similar in general features, I don't think any are close to the e39 for that blend of size, performance, luxury and class.

#10 ·
If you're going to look at cars that 12-14 years ago had an MSRP in the $40-45K range, and that are still "generally available" today.....you have to say there really is No Match for the e39.

You have to account for the whole package not just performance, luxury, and handling -- but also the Exterior Design, the Interior Design including the Sound System and comfy seating. The quality of the finish, the higher grade of leather and the judicious use of wood accents. The Performance (acknowledging the good Fuel Economy when not pedaling too hard ! ) and the overall Brand Recognition as the Ultimate Driving Machine.

The Lex's may have better Interior Design, but the Performance will be lacking. A Porsche may out-perform, BUT those interiors are just too "Teutonic" for my taste. The Infiniti is a dolled-up Nissan which ain't a bad thing but wouldn't stand comparison to an e39. Cadillac and Lincoln tried their entry into this Market Segment but looking back on those units -- let's just say they get a "Gentleman's C" and leave it at that. Jaguar ?? Buy two because one of them will always be in the Shop. Acura ?? A Honda, and just as boring. Vulva ?? Enough said. Audi ?? All the idiosynchracies of German Engineering with none of the Panache.

I'm speaking from experience because I've owned practically all of those cars at some point.

#13 · (Edited)
Let's make it more Interesting and ammend the choices !!!

If you're going to look at cars that 12-14 years ago had an MSRP in the $40-45K range, and that are still "generally available" today.....you have to say there really is No Match for the e39.

You have to account for the whole package not just performance, luxury, and handling -- but also the Exterior Design, the Interior Design including the Sound System and comfy seating. The quality of the finish, the higher grade of leather and the judicious use of wood accents. The Performance (acknowledging the good Fuel Economy when not pedaling too hard ! ) and the overall Brand Recognition as the Ultimate Driving Machine.

The Lex's may have better Interior Design, but the Performance will be lacking. A Porsche may out-perform, BUT those interiors are just too "Teutonic" for my taste. The Infiniti is a dolled-up Nissan which ain't a bad thing but wouldn't stand comparison to an e39. Cadillac and Lincoln tried their entry into this Market Segment but looking back on those units -- let's just say they get a "Gentleman's C" and leave it at that. Jaguar ?? Buy two because one of them will always be in the Shop. Acura ?? A Honda, and just as boring. Vulva ?? Enough said. Audi ?? All the idiosynchracies of German Engineering with none of the Panache.

I'm speaking from experience because I've owned practically all of those cars at some point.
HOT Dang it :mad: You said it "Exactly" the why I was thinking, hence the thread. I totally agree with everything you've mentioned. But I'm still thinking.....there's gotta be....

Okay to make things interesting - how about we compare the E39 (530i) to a more newer (let's say 2005 - 2007) cars. Example G35, Lexus, Acura, Audi (turbo Audis), Mercedes, Kompressors (Benz), etc - some high end name brands. Hope that adds spice to the soup now... :D So, what's your theory now guys ? Reason I ask is to see what's more newer out there compared to the E39 within say, $15K range, with low miles, easy on gas (not a V8), but still holds and handles well, and doesn't lack the character of E39.

#15 · (Edited)
I honestly can't think of a single car to compare the 530i to. When I think I do I realize comparable cars lack one or two key features.

Far as I can tell the leather in my 530i is second to none! I've had leather seats that peel or crack. Some would be too hot to sit on in the summer. Some would tear. The BMW leather is the best I've ever experienced in a car seat as far as durability, style, and comfort (all combined).

For a sedan the handling is off the chain.

A simple thing that amazes me is the feel of the steering wheel during turns. I have zero clue to what mechanics go into my steering system but it feels freakin PERFECT in every form of turn to include parking! Not too stiff and not too loose. I'm talking PERFECT feel!

I recall the old luxury cars one could turn the wheel with the friction between their index finger and the wheel (way too loose). I also had a 1978 280-Z with rack and pinion steering. That sucked when turning the wheel from a dead stop. You had to put your back into the turn to get out of a parallel parking spot. It felt great on the road though. Good road feedback.

#16 ·
When the E39 was in its younger days, a number of automotive publications referred to it as "The best sport sedan on the planet". For damn good reasons, obviously....:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#17 ·
You pose an interesting question there Newbie528 --

"So, what's your theory now guys? Reason I ask is to see what's newer out there compared to the E39 within say, $15K range, with low miles, easy on gas (not a V8), but still holds and handles well, and doesn't lack the character of E39."

It's really unfair to compare a fairly priced e39 with any car that sells in the $15K range.

At that price point, I want reliability. You'd probably be looking at one of the high end Japanese sporty cars. I've seen the Acura NSX Selling for a little more than $15K-$20K perhaps something like that would fit the bill. A Lexus SC maybe. But my 528, even with the standard maintenence included over the next few years, would only be little more than half of $15K.

You know what would be cool.....there's a guy in Ocean County who does the Ferrari Kit Body over a Fiero frame.......why not just go all to helll with it !?!?

#21 · (Edited)
You pose an interesting question there Newbie528 --

"So, what's your theory now guys? Reason I ask is to see what's newer out there compared to the E39 within say, $15K range, with low miles, easy on gas (not a V8), but still holds and handles well, and doesn't lack the character of E39."

It's really unfair to compare a fairly priced e39 with any car that sells in the $15K range.

At that price point, I want reliability. You'd probably be looking at one of the high end Japanese sporty cars. I've seen the Acura NSX Selling for a little more than $15K-$20K perhaps something like that would fit the bill. A Lexus SC maybe. But my 528, even with the standard maintenence included over the next few years, would only be little more than half of $15K.

You know what would be cool.....there's a guy in Ocean County who does the Ferrari Kit Body over a Fiero frame.......why not just go all to helll with it !?!?
I see your point ;) But say, I have about $15K to spend...what can I get that's similar to E39 530i. And I don't mean NXS types, or Lexus SC, or Altima, Camry either. Those could be had almost new for 15K. I mean a 4 door sedan, that is newer, low miles, will last a while, and has similar personality to the E39 530i (possibly German or Japanse, luxury sport sedan type).

#18 ·
I can't think of anything of a similar age (or any age for that matter) that compares with the E39 for the perfect blend of performance, handling, balance, quality and luxury. Other cars may beat it in one or two of the above but the E39 rolls it all into a single package.

There might be a car - a Caddy believe it or not, that has some potential. The new ATS looks to be the real deal. Here it is stacked up against the new 328. The tester actually prefers the Caddy but is put off by a strange phantom detent in the gearbox.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/09/27/motor-trend-declares-victor-in-epic-bmw-3-series-versus/#continued

#24 · (Edited)
A match for the manual 530 E39 in 2002???....That is easy...the car that I did own at that time...which peformance wise was significantly faster.....and not only on a straight line.

My 5.5 gen Maxima......6 speed, a throbbing 3.5 liter V6 (the magnificent VQ35), limited slip diff, the best Navigation system of that time and a killer BOSE stereo, fit and finish was exemplary (the last Maxima built in Japan)....more passenger and trunk space than an E39...Nissan threw the kitchen sink at that car and they sold ton of them.....it was the killer sport sedan in the 6 cylinder segment....I did cross shop it with the 530 (which was my initial intended buy) and I could not come for any reason to go for the 530....

The 530 had the edge on luxury and the handling was on par (on dry roads) but it was down on other aspects.....

You did need a E39 540 to smoke an 02 Maxima

#29 ·
A match for the manual 530 E39 in 2002???....That is easy...the car that I did own at that time...which peformance wise was significantly faster.....and not only on a straight line.

My 5.5 gen Maxima......6 speed, a throbbing 3.5 liter V6 (the magnificent VQ35), limited slip diff, the best Navigation system of that time and a killer BOSE stereo, fit and finish was exemplary (the last Maxima built in Japan)....more passenger and trunk space than an E39...Nissan threw the kitchen sink at that car and they sold ton of them.....it was the killer sport sedan in the 6 cylinder segment....I did cross shop it with the 530 (which was my initial intended buy) and I could not come for any reason to go for the 530....

The 530 had the edge on luxury and the handling was on par (on dry roads) but it was down on other aspects.....

You did need a E39 540 to smoke an 02 Maxima
One of my best friends owned that model when new and it was a great car but I would not compare it directly to an E39. Agree that the VQ35 is a great engine. I owned a Pathfinder with that engine and have nothing but praise for it. Agree that interior space was better also. I do not agree that front wheel drive Maxima is as good a driver's car as the E39 530i and most on this forum would not agree either. To those of us that want and appreciate rear wheel drive sport sedans, a front driver will never be equivalent. I am not putting your car down, I genuinely like Nissans and have owned several. I just don't see the Maxima as a direct competitor to the E39. If you want to say it is a more practical alternative that offers a lot of bang for the buck, I agree. I still would not choose it over my 530i with Sport Package. This is particularly true now that depreciation has eliminated most of the cost differential between these cars. I have no idea what that other poster was referring to when he said the VQ35 is not reliable. I drove mine very hard in the Pathfinder and it was one of the strongest most reliable engines in any of the cars I have owned over the past 38 years. I would still have that SUV if my wife had not totaled it playing with her cell phone while driving in traffic.

#25 ·
Nah! Maxima is front wheel drive and their V6 is very poorly built. I had a maxima and by the time it hit 80K miles most of the exhaust manifold studs started to fall off and left me with annoyance exhaust leaks.

If I ever cross over to the dark side it would be Mercedes. I had a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 Dogleg 5-spd with 275K miles by the time I sold it.

#27 · (Edited)
Nah! Maxima is front wheel drive and their V6 is very poorly built. I had a maxima and by the time it hit 80K miles most of the exhaust manifold studs started to fall off and left me with annoyance exhaust leaks.
I don't know what Maxima are you talking about but definitely is not the A33 (the 5th gen)
Built quality was top notch (the last Maxima assembled in Japan), it went downhill from there.
That engine won the Ward's award for many years....it was the best V6 in the market bar none.

It does not matter that it was a FWD...it was incredibly fun to drive and it handled way better than a 5 Series in bad weather.

The 5th gen was the best Maxima ever, too bad it lasted only few years before the the 6th gen....mine had not a single problem in almost 100K when I traded...

This is what Edmunds said of the 2002 Max:

"We wasted no time grabbing the keys to an SE fitted with the six-speed manual tranny, and we were thrilled with its eager and forceful charge to redline as we rowed through the gears. Once again, Nissan has turned out a creamy smooth and powerful V6 that seemed to enjoy running hard as much as we loved driving it that way. The gear spacing of the six-speed gearbox, both numerically and in terms of lever travel, was ideal. Even when driving aggressively, we didn't botch one up- or downshift while blasting through the gears"

"The Maxima's chassis is unchanged - why mess with a good thing? Responsive steering, flat cornering and neutral behavior when unraveling a twisty road make one realize that a ripping sport sedan needn't cost $40,000"

#31 ·
There is no comparison to how the e39 makes you feel when you're driving it. This european commercial speaks the truth about the experience:
When I'm ever in a bad mood or overwhelmed I just go for a cruise in my e39, and I instantly feel better. My e39 puts a smile on my face and is a hell of a driver's car. It doesn't hurt to have a manual either, makes you feel like you're in complete control of the car. I don't think I'll ever go back to driving an automatic for my personal car, it's too boring. I have yet to see any Japanese car company ever produce a car that has any truly beautiful styling. They are too focused on reliability and beating the other companies comparable car. BMW strives to create cars that bring the driver the ultimate driving experience. That maxima (in my opinion of course) has no style, or build quality. My car reaching 300,000 miles and still climbing is testament to the build quality that BMW puts in to their cars. With all of this annoying ranting I leave you with one of the most epic e39 videos ever:

^-----Let's see a japanese car do that with as much style ;)

#32 ·
That maxima (in my opinion of course) has no style, or build quality. My car reaching 300,000 miles and still climbing is testament to the build quality that BMW puts in to their cars. With all of this annoying ranting I leave you with one of the most epic e39 videos ever
My co-worker wish he had the trouble free ownership experience I had with my Max....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.