BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

yellow warning light....bulb or transmission? HELP!!

18K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  xfufu 
#1 ·
Just bought a certified X3 six weeks ago. Love it! Was driving home the other night and on the dash a yellow circle with little lines around it appeared; Looked like a sun. Got out, checked all my exterior lights, everything was fine. To my suprise, after looking up the symbol in the manual, it stated the symbol was a transmission warning light. To clarify, my husband also looked it up and concluded that it was, in fact, the warning light for the transmission...according to the manual. It was towed two hours away to the dealership the next day. After lookinh it over, they called and explained that the transmission warning light and a bulb out indicator light look identical, and that only BMW techs can tell them apart. They said one of the rear lights had some corrosion and that it was taken apart and replaced. That there was nothinh wrong with the transmission. They paid someone to have it driven home to me. This seems very very weird. Any thoughts??

#2 ·
BMWs (like just about ALL modern cars) are way overcomplicated and quirky....get used to it. "Phantom" lights from time to time are not exactly unheard of....if they don`t re-occur, don`t lose any sleep over it....

#4 ·
Thanks, guys. I just think its strange that the manual states it was a transmission warning light, but the service people are saying it is a bulb component malfunction. Makes me a little nervous considering all I've read regarding 07 X3 transmission problems. Although my car is driving beautifuly....I also know that my husband and I are not complete morons, and that we are able to match up a symbol on our dash to a symbol in the manual. You know?? It just seems a bit fishy, but I'll be happy that they are saying its not the transmission. :)

#5 ·
Just as a heads-up....when strange, seemingly unrelated electrical gremlins start popping up, that`s usually a good indicator that your battery is on it`s last legs...four years seems to be the average life expectancy (my last 2 BMWs had their batteries die [without much warning] almost exactly 4 years from the date of delivery). BMWs are *extremely* battery-dependent, and one that`s about to fail WILL cause erratic problems. If you *do* need one, WalMart and Autozone have suitable replacements for less than $100....DON`T go to a dealer, they will rip your lungs out :)

#7 ·
So....they drove our car home to us. They fixed the bulb. Two hours away, mind you. Got in, turned it on, and the warning light was on again!! All that for nothing!! My husband checked it out, now there is a brake light out on both the left and right side. We bought this car certified to avoid crap like this...we didn't expect to have to be spending four hours in the car for these kinds of things on a certified vehicle that we have owned for only seven weeks with 38,000 miles. So frustrated!!!

#9 ·
The E46 (my model) has a similar fault....the ground wire for the taillights is inadequate to do it`s job, allowing the light sockets to overheat, and actually melt the plastic housing (!). The cure was pretty simple....just add an extra ground wire, that took care of the problem.
Hope yours is that easy to resolve.
Don`t expect these cars to be perfect just because they cost a lot of money....that`s not reality....

#12 ·
my 2007 x3 same light on today and lucky i checked this post

wife called and the light is on during drive...decide to bring to a shop tmr. and I want to be prepared to see what could went wrong...and found this post.

went to start the car and checked around, drvier side brake light is out...

goolgled a video and super easy to change diy....will buy a bulb tmr and get it done!

thanks for sharing..:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.