BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

odds of dealer having a RFT tire in stock... update (all rims broken, sigh)

7K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  hans007 
#1 · (Edited)
being an idiot , i ran over some sort of short curb with my car on xmas eve after my family's xmas party.

actually scraped up the underside of my m-sport bumper (though its only on the bottom, so i guess you'll never see it unless you get down on the ground and look) so thats not my biggest concern.

but i blew out my front left tire with only 900 miles on it. i'm figuring i only have to replace the one tire for tread wear reasons at least

anyway its a bridgestone s001 . Given i have work tommorrow and work near a BMW dealer, do they usually have these in stock? its a pretty new tire... so im thinking maybe not (and it costs $300 on tirerack sigh). if they dont have it, do they give loaners or do you have to rent one?

Also i have to say runflat tires are kind of awesome. i had to drive home so i just drove 20 miles or so on it. its obviously jittery etc, but it will get you there at 45-50mph. now i could have changed out a dummy spare but still saving you from that is kind of nice, plus it did deflate in a very controlled manner.

#2 ·
Ouch, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Remember to bust open that tire warranty from the plastic wrap and check its terms -- most of these RFTs have some sort of 1 year road hazard protection. It's unclear whether negligent running of a curb is a "road hazard", but that should be spelled out in the warranty pamphlet.

RFTs do seem pretty nice. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much they drive like normal tires. After hearing all the car magazines bicker about BMW and RFTs, I came in with low expectations. I do like the idea of being able to drive on them after a puncture. Just two weeks ago around here, 3 people were killed on the highway while changing a tire.

#3 ·
oh well decided i'd just order a tire from tire rack to ship to a tire place down the street. it does suck that nicer cars have tires that are not common.

luckily i knew someone with a car i could borrow. i'm 99% certain BMW would not warranty this or have the tire in stock.

#4 ·
so apparently what happened was i ran over 3" tall concrete island in the town my parents live in while i was there for xmas.

it was xmas eve, so they shut all the street lights off becuase everything is closed on xmas. so i drove under part of a mall in town which opens to that little island, which cuts off the left lane (there is no sign or anything other than an arrow painted on the ground, i suppose had the lights been on you could probably see the island). anyway the tunnel was unlit, and so were all the street lights because of the holiday.

so the tire shop today took a closer look at it today when the replacement potenza s001 came. AND... well lets just say this was the worst xmas ever. i bent both rims, and also ruined my other runflat. so they ordered me two new rims, and another tires... total cost $1800!

YEAH!!!!

given all that , and having had anything remotely happen like this before . make you almost want to buy tire and wheel insurance. almost.

#8 · (Edited)
I actually like the stock 400m rims. Had thought about just getting 4 new tires but I had already bought one tire. Yeah basically a disaster in every possible way. I kind of was in a just take my money and make it go away mood. They said the rims would take a bit to get here and they were going to close early nye and be closed new years so I said screw it just overnight them. So in theory it'll be fixed today

#11 · (Edited)
I'd say I was going maybe 20. It didn't really seem like a huge impact when it happened. Tire shop guy was saying they had replaced 400-500 rims on bmws so he thought they just werent that strong. I had heard about a lot of f10 rims being damaged just from potholes so maybe there's some truth to it I don't know

#13 · (Edited)
i actually found where it happened on google street view.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/65005_10101924014621096_937732383_n.jpg

so basically all the lights were off on the street at around 11pm and i was driving on the lane along where the red arrow is. the only light was the stop light at the major street way on the other end and i was coming out of that dark area.

i still feel a little stupid, but honestly it was not something you'd immediately assume was going to be there. they are doing an alignment and putting my new rims on right now . doesnt seem like there was a suspension issue, so i guess i just have 2 broken rims and a much lighter wallet. will make 2 neat cofee tables with these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10106303/

#14 · (Edited)
haha...

im just laughing about this now. since i've hit rock bottom. i guess in the end, half the posts on this forum are guys like me moaning about **** going wrong on our really expensive brand new cars. its not that bad a problem to have.

anyway got car back. got car aligned. noticed rear rims were also bent. tires are ok though!
so had to order 2 rear rims. which are not in stock possibly. on the bright side... 4 bmw m-sport 400M coffee tables for my coworkers and i.

#15 ·
Ouch!!

If it makes you feel any better, I can see how it happened. It's a little weird how the curb intrudes into the lane (even though it's left turn only).

Anyway, I've done plenty of dumber things (smashing my roof mounted bike into the garage leaps to mind), so don't beat yourself up. Pretty soon it'll just be a memory.

#18 ·
I just slid on a unexpected snow/ice storm on 12/26. Hit the curb doing 20 mph approximately. Preliminary inspection is a busted ABS sensor along with a bent tie rod. I filed a claim so will only be out of pocket $500 plus rental costs (maybe $0.27 per day over the allowance so it'll be negligible). But it sucks to f@&%^$ up your car. that's for sure. Hell of a way to start 2013 probably :mad:

#19 · (Edited)
Ouch. My condolenses. I do feel kind of luck because the island ran over is pretty low and curved so I am told my suspension was undamaged. I'd think i'd feel less bad about what you did since its ice to be honest, i dont have excuses like that in socal haha. well we'll get our babies back good as new soon. heres to a mishap free 2013!

#21 ·
A similar thing happened to me in my '08. Stupid double sided curb in the middle of a parking lot that was not painted; it was painted exactly the same color as all the surrounding concrete. It's like whoever was responsible secretly thought in their mind, "Hahaha, can't wait to get the sucker who doesnt notice THIS!"

Didn't damage any rims / tires as I was only trolling along at about 2 mph. But I did scratch the hell out of the left rocker panel.

#22 ·
Have to say that based on the repair estimate...$1800...the wheel and tire hazard insurance would have definitely paid for itself. Sucks that this happened. Sorry....

#26 ·
Hans007, sorry to hear about what happened. Some if not most of us make mistakes we dont want to do. At least u r safe and the tires and wheels can be fixed. Getting tire and wheel insurance would have been nice but we all have our reasons to or not to get it. Good luck with the car insurance claim.

#27 ·
being an idiot , i ran over some sort of short curb with my car on xmas eve after my family's xmas party.

actually scraped up the underside of my m-sport bumper (though its only on the bottom, so i guess you'll never see it unless you get down on the ground and look) so thats not my biggest concern.

but i blew out my front left tire with only 900 miles on it. i'm figuring i only have to replace the one tire for tread wear reasons at least

anyway its a bridgestone s001 . Given i have work tommorrow and work near a BMW dealer, do they usually have these in stock? its a pretty new tire... so im thinking maybe not (and it costs $300 on tirerack sigh). if they dont have it, do they give loaners or do you have to rent one?

Also i have to say runflat tires are kind of awesome. i had to drive home so i just drove 20 miles or so on it. its obviously jittery etc, but it will get you there at 45-50mph. now i could have changed out a dummy spare but still saving you from that is kind of nice, plus it did deflate in a very controlled manner.
Perfect excuse to get rid of the other three funflats. Dont jump over any curbs next time.

#28 ·
well i actually replaced 2 of them, but it looks like insurance is paying. i'd already decided i wasnt going to get runflats once they actually wear out.

was actually back down to visit a friend from high school and drove to the place it happened just to see exactly what it was. and i honestly feel less bad about it now because it seems like it would be really easy to end up running over it because of the way the road was setup there. i might even have to write a letter to the city.

my friend pointed out that on google maps the little island had tons of tread marks on it and concrete was all worn down from cars running it over. kind of makes you think about how strong these rims really are. the front edge of that island was maybe the height of most speed bumps, probably under 3". we were talking about it later, and figured in most cars you probably dont damage the rims, becuase the profile of the rims would be higher, and also in BMWs case the stiffer runflat sidewalls also transmit more force into the rim than a normal tire. doesnt make me wish i was driving a camry on 16" 55 profile normal tires , but i'm figuring that would have made it unscathed.

#32 ·
I also buckled my rim over pothole.... took it to wheel rpair shop 1 hour agao, it cannot be repaired (225M 19 inch rear) now I have to search for a second hand rear

bugger

#33 · (Edited)
got a call this morning my rear wheels were in. actually was awakened by the call. somewhat disoriented i said i'd be over right away before work and was thinking, wait wheels for what car. yes i hadn't driven my BMW in 3 weeks. but i finally drove the 2 blocks to the tire place in my car, got my wheels installed and drove to work.

its funny i got to this point where i had been driving a borrowed scion TC and got really used to it. and honestly i'm not one of those people where the stuff i own really defines me so i didn't feel like i was missing it too much, in the end its just a car. but when i finally got to really drive my car for the first time since christmas day, well i was smiling haha. the TC actually drives pretty well for a FWD car, and it got me where i was going, but the 328 is just better and i was glad to be driving the car i paid for again.

took a pic at my work garage just because.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/399156_10101980055978766_224765254_n.jpg

now to figure out what to do with 4 bent rims.

#34 ·
now to figure out what to do with 4 bent rims.
End tables? Maybe cut the wheel diagonally rear to front and mount on the wall. It'll look like the wheel is coming out of the wall. Maybe cut off everything but the front of the wheel and hang it on the wall....better yet make a ceiling fan base out of it!

I've got a set of NIB e46 BMW Performance cross drilled rotors FS if you want to throw those in the mix :p

#36 ·
what abou the msport nose scrape? I have an e90 msprt that keeps getting scraped on my driveway transition from the street. I want to have it fixed but know my driveway will do it again. I have considered getting 1/2" taller tires hoping a little bit more height would cure my ills.

Sorry for the hijack. Just wondering since insurance is involved if you are getting your nose fixed too.

#37 ·
what abou the msport nose scrape? I have an e90 msprt that keeps getting scraped on my driveway transition from the street. I want to have it fixed but know my driveway will do it again. I have considered getting 1/2" taller tires hoping a little bit more height would cure my ills.

Sorry for the hijack. Just wondering since insurance is involved if you are getting your nose fixed too.
i didnt bother, like on mine its on the underside of the bumper and its one of those things where... i'd rather not get it repainted now, knowing itll probably scrape somethign next week and its just a hassle driving the car out to some shop to have them take the bumper off and potentially screw up the rest of the paint or not connect the PDC sensors back etc.

i will probably eventually get the whole thing repainted in a few years as it is.

the thing with my insurance claim is an insurance claim agent never even came to look at my car since i just sent him reciepts from the tire shops since i said nothing on the car was damaged other than wheels. had i claimed i needed my bumper repainted (and it was already scraped even before i hit the curb in another area) it would have been an even bigger hassle.

i guess my advice to you is to just get used to scraping it. its gonna happen. you have to just think of your front bumper as that thing you for sure will end up getting repainted / repaired once say a tire tread or a block of wood or something hits it on the freeway along with all the scrapes from parking. its just a part of owning a car that is lower like this.

or you can do what my dad said if you hate getting scrapes... buy an X3 like he did.

#39 ·
When I had my e90, I hit a pot hole doing 65 on i95 in Wilmington, DE. The RFTs worked as advertised. I'm pretty sure I would have had a complete blow out with normal tires, and that could have been real ugly. (i.e, multi car accident)

Not only did I not have a blow out, but I was able to get home ok.

Anyway, I still had to replace the tire the next day, and I lucked out. My local dealer had them in stock. I forget what the cost was, because it was a while ago, and no, I never bought that insurance they offer you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.