BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is The 2014 Nav Update Worth Doing?

156K views 2K replies 517 participants last post by  shawnsheridan 
#1 · (Edited)
I am pretty well satisfied with the Nav system in my 2012 535xi. Luckily I have had only minor issues, and none of the horror stories others have seen.

I received an email offer from TomTom for a $245 update to my nav system. I hate to change something that's working pretty well for an unknown new outcome. And, while $245 is not cheap, I would do it if I thought the results would be worth it.

I know there is another current thread with many well-justified complaints about the nav system, but there aren't many comments one way or another about whether the update is worth while.

I would appreciate learning if those of you who have done the 2013 update have found the improvements worth while.

#186 ·
Don't see why they would care. They're still getting paid for their labor.

Call each one of the dealers in your area and ask them. A good SA/technician won't care. They're not getting paid extra for selling you an FSC code. Another dealer could have cut you a deal for all they know.

Sean

#192 ·
#200 ·
Shawn I have a 2012, can you send me the update details? Thanx in advance.. I just returned from a road trip was misdirected several times by the CrapNav. Can't believe BMW has the nerve to charge $250 to repair their POS nav system. To bad they don't get the same bad press Apple Maps received.

#203 ·
Just did the install. How do I get to the Nav vewrsion screen?

Thanks

#204 ·
Never mind - I got it. Thanks Shawn!!:thumbup:

#208 ·
Yeah...so no problem there. Just USB. What year are the maps on the car?

#213 ·
Sorry, but your E65 will have the older CCC iDrive system. The CIC was not introduced in the 7 Series until September 2008 with the then new F01 chassis.

If you have 609 Navigation, you need a DVD in the dedicated DVD drive, with South Africa Map region.

#225 ·
FYI went great on my 2011 535i (build date 7/2010). Just stuck it in the glovebox USB and it started within 10-15 seconds.

Total time was about 45-50 minutes in the car (note: "copying to car" is the whole thing; I was afraid it would also have to expand once copied).

Other notes:
1. I was afraid to shut off the car, so I kept it running in my garage. I did however shut it off and back on during the load, but it continued.
>> I would not recommend walking away from the car with only ignition on/car not running since it might automatically shut down after 15-20 minutes (this was a software update to the car after mine and other early/mid builds burned out batteries when dealers/valets accidentally left cars on).
2. When I opened the door during the "enter code" screen, it automatically cancelled. So I had to start over before it started.
3. AFTER the load, my screen looked a lot more blurry (the grey/traffic screen got a lot better, btw). Turns out that "perspective during 3D" got more realistic, which = blurry). If you don't like it, turn off perspective during 3D.
4. It all seemed a lot slower at first, but got faster after turning car off/locking and then returning.
5. Initially the navigation version screen was completely blank, but similar to #4, it fixed itself.
6. I used a $15 Sandisk Cruzer Glide 32GB USB stick.

#228 ·
Hmm...something is not right I don't think. MAP update codes are specific to the MAP year.

For example, for a single VIN for CIC North America, I just generated the following Map Update Codes:

2012:
3VHZVP4I5ABKOABNAACA
2013:
VIFBSSQGZHIMUABNAACQ
2014:
6QQ5DVQ3IHQ3QABNAADA

As you can see, all 3 years are different.

Maybe what he meant is that if you get 2013 working he will just send you that code for free.

#231 ·
Well, that is interesting as 1) I have yet to see a 2013 CIC DVD set, and 2) I have never seen where an update from one year to a newer year uses the same FSC code.

I'll touch base with him and see what he is talking about.

#240 ·
Hmm..and that is what you used and is working on the 2012 DVD's. Very strange.

#249 ·
For those who have the 2012 maps - were they as "blurry" (anti-aliased) in 3D/Perspective view?

My 2010 maps were not, but then again, perspective didn't do much.

It's almost headache-inducing on the 2013 maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.