BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Vendor Warning! GermanAudioTech on Ebay for Mid repairs

6K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  bmdubya1198 
#1 · (Edited)
Warning!
I hate to do this, as I am not one to complain, and normally just "suck it up" when something goes wrong and give the vendor the benefit of the doubt, but this requires a warning.

Two years ago, I found GermanAudioTech on Ebay, selling their services to repair MID displays. Reasonable prices, and a "lifetime" warranty. I bought the auction and per their instructions, sent my radio off to them via Fed Ex. Because I wanted it quickly I used my own prepaid Fed Ex airbills that directly bill to me. They promptly turned it around and I had it back in my hands in about 3 days...not bad...except the repair was not good, and my radio display still had bad pixels. I emailed and they (Christopher Cagnolatti) apologized profusely and asked me to send it back. I did, but in the mean time he moves, and does not alert me to the address change, so it is returned to me, and I have to reship again, at my cost! He attempts another fix, but it still has bad pixels. I sent it a third time, and got it back a few days later, and AGAIN, more bad pixels. At this point over three weeks have passed and I am getting really frustrated...they ask that I return it a fourth time, and they will exchange it for a different, already repaired radio. I agree and receive it several days later. It works fine, but is obviously used considerably more than my radio, as the buttons are shiny from wear. At this point (over four weeks have passed) I am just happy to finally have a radio with working pixels. I did post on Ebay a "neutral" rating, and the guy from GermanAudioTech pleads with me to update that rating. I explain that I really felt like giving him a "negative" but afterall, I did have a fixed radio in the end, but he deserved a "neutral" rating for taking over 5 weeks, and costing me all the postage each way...and with a used radio in worse condition. He did give me partial reimbursement on the postage.

So, why am I complaining now? After two years, I have bad pixels again. I contact him, and explain I will be sending it back...he responds, but is confused who I am, so I explain the previous history...and no response. I go ahead and ship it to him, again with prepaid airbill, and copy of my reciept, and guess what? He refuses the package and ships it back to me at my expense.

So, word to the wise, this vendor is not one to live up to his "lifetime warranty" if you do not kiss his butt, give him good ebay feedback and not complain when his service and repairs stink. FWIW...I know others have had good service from this guy, but he is obviously not mature enough to know when he is wrong and take care of a customer.

I am contacting VDO Repair right now, which is who I should have dealt with in the first place.

Best to you all

See less See more
#4 ·
+1. His feedback on Ebay is not all that bad. And I am not saying don't do business with him, I am simply giving you a heads up, that if there is a problem, you may not get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Just sent my radio off to VDO Repair...they were really nice on the phone....let's see how their customer service and workmanship is! :)

#5 ·
I should append this to the MID-pixel options thread:

- What are 'all' options when your instrument cluster or MID pixels slowly die due to a press-fit pink electrical-connection tape lifting off its contacts over time (1) & how to remove the E39 instrument cluster (1) (2) & a summary of the BMW NA cluster-repair goodwill policy (1) & how to fix the MID pixels yourself (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to remove the MID (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) and how to test the MID (1)

#7 ·
Sorry to hear that. My MID had bad pixels when i bought my car and I was contemplating sending mine off to get repaired. I was weary about the efforts to get it shipped off and to ensure I would get the same one back. So I purchased an MID from them and it came and it was fine. Mint condition, no scratches or nicks, all the buttons like new. I paid a decent price for it and overall have been very happy with the product. Just because something is off of ebay it is misleading that it is necessarily a bad product. Read reviews and see the sellers history. I have had it for about a year now and no problems, I am happy with it. Hopefully nothing happens to it, but yeah that is unfortunate he acted that way. Nothing better happen to mine. But yeah sorry to hear, he should definitely honour the lifetime warranty.

#8 ·
I sent my MID off to GermanAudioTech a couple of months ago and received it back in 4 days. All pixels are there and radio works fine. I hope that if the pixels go out on it that they will honor their lifetime warranty.

thanks for the info.

#9 ·
Sent on Tuesday, arrived at VDO Repair late Wednesday, and sent out Thursday morning via Fed Ex. I should have it by Friday afternoon and will report back on the work. Great communication, they emailed me on reciept of my radio, and again when they shipped it out. I'm impressed so far.

#10 ·
Radio back from VDO Repair. Well packed and quick turnaround. They seal the back of the unit with tape, to prevent tampering, and include a receipt stating the "liftetime warranty". Very professional operation! And....ta dah! It works, perfectly.

Thanks very much VDO Repair. :)

#12 ·
I think I'm there now - I literally only have maybe 4 or 5 horizontal lines of functioning pixels and need to adjust the time on my clock. WTF!

Probably leaning towards Germanaudiotech on fleece bay since he does have good track record, feedback and of course, lifetime warranty. for $170, I think it's worth it.

#13 ·
Probably leaning towards Germanaudiotech on fleece bay since he does have good track record, feedback and of course, lifetime warranty. for $170, I think it's worth it.
Jeeeezus, man ! Didn`t you even read Post #1 in this thread, where the OP is ragging on that fleabay A-Hole ???

#14 · (Edited)
Of course I did!

But I don't always believe everything I read, hear or see. That line of thinking has worked for me so far...

Besides I'm often in the LBC where germanaudiotech is, so it wouldn't be tough to take advantage of the lifetime warranty if there were issues.

That said, I posted to this thread about 2 hours ago. Did some quick searching locally and came across greenyardauto. Anyway, suffice it to say, a little bit of a drive, some negotiating, a quick test and install, and 2 hours later, I have a near 100% perfectly working MID in my car now from their yard, which cost me significantly less than anything on Ebay or anything remanufactured, used or otherwise.

They currently have 2 E39's on there lot, one of which no longer has the engine and the other one still fully intact except for my MID. Check em out, they're definitely going to be cheaper than Ecology. The shop owner won't give away his parts, but he even admitted to me that he really doesn't know market value for used BMW parts (his pricing proves this to be the case).

I think in a situation like this I basically weighed three options - cost, how quick could i get it, and reliability. I think going with a tested part that was never opened from a local yard for cheap is THE way to go.

#15 ·
Vendor Warning!!! Beware of GermanAudioTech

+1 ...disreputable firm.

I bought this service through Ebay and decided to cancel the purchase next day since BMW offered to goodwill my unit. Contacted the seller, GermanAudioTech, to cancel the service but they would not refund my money. The cancellation notice through Ebay specifically stated not to accept the cancellation if the refund had not been made. No refund ever came so I contacted the seller and received no response. Long story made short, I filed a dispute with Ebay and they denied the complaint stating no Ebay purchase agreement coverage in place. So I'm effectively out of $130 with no service provided and no support from Ebay.

This is just a a cautionary tale of the disreputable firms that solicit for our business but also please beware of purchases through Ebay. They are complicit in allowing thieves to do business in their marketplace.

#30 ·
+1 ...disreputable firm.

I bought this service through Ebay and decided to cancel the purchase next day since BMW offered to goodwill my unit. Contacted the seller, GermanAudioTech, to cancel the service but they would not refund my money. The cancellation notice through Ebay specifically stated not to accept the cancellation if the refund had not been made. No refund ever came so I contacted the seller and received no response. Long story made short, I filed a dispute with Ebay and they denied the complaint stating no Ebay purchase agreement coverage in place. So I'm effectively out of $130 with no service provided and no support from Ebay.

This is just a a cautionary tale of the disreputable firms that solicit for our business but also please beware of purchases through Ebay. They are complicit in allowing thieves to do business in their marketplace.
Damn, that is too bad...if you search here and other forums, you will find a slew of recent bad feedback for Germanaudiotech over the past 6 months...all customer service related issues. One thread talks about phone harassment....crazy harrassment stuff, they are totally in to retribution if they think you wronged them. Is this place run by high school kids?

#17 ·
I've been watching a lot of the videos, and I think I can tackle my own MID. There is a seller that sells new LCD screens with better ribbons so its a straight swap that requires a piece of tape and that's about it.. I've been wondering if they ship to the colonies how ever... If they don't maybe I can work out a deal with our friendly neighborhood Audio Guru Mr. Dennis Cooper.. I understand I'll be paying more in shipping then. But its almost worth it to me.. I'm tired of my dead lines of pixles..

#21 ·
You can buy that special yellow transparent electronic for the cheap at radioshak.

#25 ·
Ive seen videos of companies with all this expensive equipment that resodders the tracks. But if someone can do it in an hour while you wait, perhaps all that is needed is to have the tape replaced.

Can't wait to hear how you do with this one. If it is fixed that easily I'll definitely give it a try because my pixels are slowly making their way to pixel heaven.
doc

#22 ·
I just purchased a repair from a member at bimm**forums. He was doing a group buy discount of 99.00 for the service with lifetime warranty and over 20 people have gotten back their units with nothing but great reviews from him. Cant wait to see my MID in its glory.

#26 ·
I've heard that you can buy the ribbon and fix it yourself. I had this problem in my X5, but I never got around to fixing it. Luckily, my pixels are all still there.

#27 · (Edited)
I hate to add negative review for germanaudiotech but it does seem they deserve it.

In my case, I bought repaired MID radio for my 97 528 from them with agreement they'd give me credit for my unit. After I received repaired unit, it did initially have slight pixel issue around clock digits but then it disappeared on its own on and it's still ok now about one year later. Also, the repaired unit I've purchased was as in as good of shape as mine. In that aspect they did ok.

My issue with them is following: When I shipped my failed unit to them in order to receive credit, they failed to give me credit even after several emails where I warned them I'd start e bay complaint procedure. They never responded to any of emails.

After I filed official complaint with ebay, suddenly they contact me back all pissed of and stating that they had a backlog of unread e mails which is total crap. I told them I had the proof when they received my failed unit and they had plenty of time to process the refund. They finally issued me promised credit but they will definitely never get my business again.

While they may have almost 100% good rating we all know that doesn't mean much on ebay.

#31 ·
I was thinking about using these guys. I live in Long Beach and they are in Long Beach. but the reviews made me look a little deeper.

Drove by 65 Pine Ave at lunch today -- It is a UPS store.
I guess that is not unusual for a small business, but difficult to deal with if I have a problem.

Too bad. hopefully they read these threads from time to time... Here's another customer lost to the competition.

#32 ·
Timely warning; I had just found GermanAudioTech on eBay and was considering buying a unit from them in order to add AUX. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.