BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Power steering leak

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Steliyan 
#1 ·
Should I cut the hoses a bit and reclamp with screw on clamps or replace with brand new hoses ? Any recomendation on what non OEM hoses to get at auto zone,orailly, Napa?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
pwr steering hoses

If you replace the hoses I think you need ones that are car-specific due to the end fitting (opposite end of the reservoir); they're about $25 or so each.

I had one leaking hose and was able to cut it off and reclamp; but I'm not sure you have enough length on both of the hoses to do that, one turns a hard 90 degree angle so you can't cut a lot off of that one and have it fit properly.

#8 ·
CN90 has a great DIY for this, the PS Reservoir is only 16.99 at FCP Euro right now. I'm planning to do this job myself in a few days including cutting the hoses to the reservoir and using hose clamps.

#9 ·
Typing /power steering f3 in the bestlinks nets this...
- What to do if your power steering reservoir cap is always wet (1) & how to clean the power steering fluid reservoir internal filter (1) (2) & what is the generic size of the power steering reservoir cap o-ring (1) & what is the most often recommended power steering fluid (1) (2) what volume do you need to buy & (1) how to do a power steering fluid flush DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to replace the cap o-ring (1) (2) & why you want to fix the power steering hose drip onto the alternator (1) (2) (3) & how to debug PSP power steering pump noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1) & a nice power steering pump autopsy photo (1) & how to flush cloudy ATF fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what PS fluid to use (1) (2-pdf) (3-volume) & DIYs to replace the power steering hoses (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to debug common BMW power steering issues (1) and noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1) & does an ATF leak from power steering hoses onto the alternator really cause the bearings to fail (1)

#11 · (Edited)
(I had this problem on the 540. Replacing the hoses did not fix it.)

Pic #3 in the OP's first post- shows a leak at the other end of the hoses, near the banjo bolt where the ps hoses connect to the cooler. That is often caused by the O-ring of the inlet hose at the connector.
To fix it: unscrew the banjo bolt, pull out the hoses, and replace the O-ring. Then reinstall.

#12 ·
^_there is an o-ring in that connection that Chedley referenced but it’s not a banjo fitting, they get sealed with crush washers.
The center bolt holds in the black metal strip which holds in both PS lines to the cooler connection to keep the o-rings from leaking.

Reactions: Pinktsunami
#13 ·
the servopump wont operate on just any type of atf but only specific mineral based oils. basically i think that it will not accept anything except mineral based atf same applies to the power steering reservoir filter, hence the leaking. the servopump will not operate on wrong type of oil. this is often the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.