BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dension 500- GW51M02 (USB/ iPod/ iPhone) MP3 interface

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  First_745Li 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this particular digital iPod/ Iphone/ USB Flash Memory MP3 interface device has been covered multiple times in the past. However, every single thread that I closely followed through showed either user***8217;s incompatibility end result issues and/or lack of further product follow up stating whether the unit met expectations or not.

That said, I would like to tackle this integration system myself and I have a few questions. My goal is to have the unit with full Text-Display functionality and ultimately, have Back-Up Camera with the assistance of the Dension 500 accessory (Audio Video Router unit) through the dedicated reversing camera line input.

There is a compatibility chart provided by Dension that entails expected functionality on the E65/ E66 model year 2002-2008. This unit has text display on the iDrive (name of song, artist, album etc). Apparently, this feature is ONLY enabled with select 2005 and/ or newer E65/ E66 model. However, there is a different Dension unit (GWL1M01) that would function with non-text capable MMI head units.

I have the pre-facelift MMI head unit with Rear Entertainment. Also, I believe I have text capability on my iDrive since I have SiriusXF Satellite Radio already (name of song, artist, album etc is displayed). Thus, I am pursuing the Dension 500- GW51M02 in particular.

Anyway, I would like to get some insight on my 3 questions below from anyone who knows or has successfully had the unit installed;

1) There has been concern regarding Dual-iDrive based system not being supported. Does ***8216;Dual-iDrive***8217; refer to Rear Entertainment system iDrive and/or controller?
2) Apparently, the Audio Video Router (AVR) unit is only compatible with European Spec Cars. I believe the reason being their MMI unit having video in motion. Well, I have Video in Motion enabled and I wouldn***8217;t suspect having any issues with video signal processing at all. But I would like to confirm.
3) In respect to PDC functionality, if I have the reverse camera installed, will I still have the audio signal?

Thank you for your time***8230;***8230;..

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this particular digital iPod/ Iphone/ USB Flash Memory MP3 interface device has been covered multiple times in the past. However, every single thread that I closely followed through showed either user***8217;s incompatibility end result issues and/or lack of further product follow up stating whether the unit met expectations or not.

That said, I would like to tackle this integration system myself and I have a few questions. My goal is to have the unit with full Text-Display functionality and ultimately, have Back-Up Camera with the assistance of the Dension 500 accessory (Audio Video Router unit) through the dedicated reversing camera line input.

There is a compatibility chart provided by Dension that entails expected functionality on the E65/ E66 model year 2002-2008. This unit has text display on the iDrive (name of song, artist, album etc). Apparently, this feature is ONLY enabled with select 2005 and/ or newer E65/ E66 model. However, there is a different Dension unit (GWL1M01) that would function with non-text capable MMI head units.

I have the pre-facelift MMI head unit with Rear Entertainment. Also, I believe I have text capability on my iDrive since I have SiriusXF Satellite Radio already (name of song, artist, album etc is displayed). Thus, I am pursuing the Dension 500- GW51M02 in particular.

Anyway, I would like to get some insight on my 3 questions below from anyone who knows or has successfully had the unit installed;

1) There has been concern regarding Dual-iDrive based system not being supported. Does ***8216;Dual-iDrive***8217; refer to Rear Entertainment system iDrive and/or controller?
2) Apparently, the Audio Video Router (AVR) unit is only compatible with European Spec Cars. I believe the reason being their MMI unit having video in motion. Well, I have Video in Motion enabled and I wouldn***8217;t suspect having any issues with video signal processing at all. But I would like to confirm.
3) In respect to PDC functionality, if I have the reverse camera installed, will I still have the audio signal?

Thank you for your time***8230;***8230;..
Did you get any feedback on your three questions. I am currently have the GW51M02 installed in my 2006 BMW 750i and I want to be able to watch video on the front screen from my iPhone 5. Any advice on whether that is possible with the unit?

#3 ·
I sold my 7 a while ago. I never had a chance to pursue the project. My 7 had rear entertainment system so I managed to have the front iDrive play DVD without utilizing an aftermarket unit.

Sorry I couldnt be of much help. Just keep searching here and i'm sure you'll get the help that you need. Good luck.

#9 ·
I sure will. :)

Yeah, I had my fair share of episodes with the 760. Till I reached the plastic limit and I said enough!!!!

I have owned a good number of cars in the past and the switch from my S55AMG to 760 was the worst mistake ever. A few of my friends and past 7 series owners totally discouraged me from the move but I turned a cold shoulder on them. I learnt the hard way. The only way.
Yeah, unfortunately I did the same thing.. I told the MB guys I wanted to get a E65 and they said, no way, those are junk, way more problems then the W220, and I didn't listen.. then when looking my girl was calling around and all the lots she was calling kept telling her, stay away from those 02+ 7 series, they are nothing but problems.. again could only think about how much I wanted it... knew they said the W220 was full of problems so I figured how bad could it be.. I didn't realize the vacuum pumps are junk, the valve stem seals, the heads have emissions issues, the alternators are problematic, the thing leaks oil from every corner, the thing has a stupid coolant pipe in the middle that when leaks requires thousands, L7 amp that atleast in my car has gone out 3 times, bad ASK, electrical issues, absolute JUNK transmissions, and MANY more problems that I could keep going with, but these are just the ones that are common..

I am sorry but for a 100k car that is just unacceptable.. See I have some really big beliefs in general, like how after all the taxes we pay on EVERYTHING we maybe get to keep about 30% of our hard earned money.. why? not because of the government, because of us. People are idiots, and we let this happen.. total cattle syndrome, and all these shiny electronics and such that everyone is hooked on are yet another distraction to keep people busy and not thinking about all these injustices.. These cars are the same way.. BMW should be absolutely ruined producing a car with this many known common issues, yet it's hardly talked about.. just by us, the suckers who bought them.. you can yell at me all you want, but it's the truth.. years ago if you had an issue with a business, the manager came out, kissed your ass and gave you the royal treatment, now they basically tell you we don't care, call corporate.. why? Because most people are too "busy" to call, and the ones who do won't get a call back unless they squak for a couple weeks..

I am sorry for this long winded rant! I type very fast so it just comes out quickly.. Anyway, let it be known I just bought my car and haven't really had any issues with it yet besides L7, guibo, battery, etc.. I had to replace all the interior trim because like my E46 BMW put crap trim that peels and chips when you look at it wrong.. anyway I am not mad because I have spent all kinds of money fixing problems.. YET.. I am mad because I didn't listen, and I gave someone 10k cash for poorly built vehicle that would probably be impossible to sell.. If I can spare someone else from doing the same then I'd be happier.. Don't get me wrong, I love the feel the look, the whole drive, but I have glitches, and then come on here and see nothing but issues.. on the other boards there are people modding, etc, on here most every post is a problem..

#10 ·
Yeah, unfortunately I did the same thing.. I told the MB guys I wanted to get a E65 and they said, no way, those are junk, way more problems then the W220, and I didn't listen.. then when looking my girl was calling around and all the lots she was calling kept telling her, stay away from those 02+ 7 series, they are nothing but problems.. again could only think about how much I wanted it... knew they said the W220 was full of problems so I figured how bad could it be.. I didn't realize the vacuum pumps are junk, the valve stem seals, the heads have emissions issues, the alternators are problematic, the thing leaks oil from every corner, the thing has a stupid coolant pipe in the middle that when leaks requires thousands, L7 amp that atleast in my car has gone out 3 times, bad ASK, electrical issues, absolute JUNK transmissions, and MANY more problems that I could keep going with, but these are just the ones that are common..

I am sorry but for a 100k car that is just unacceptable.. See I have some really big beliefs in general, like how after all the taxes we pay on EVERYTHING we maybe get to keep about 30% of our hard earned money.. why? not because of the government, because of us. People are idiots, and we let this happen.. total cattle syndrome, and all these shiny electronics and such that everyone is hooked on are yet another distraction to keep people busy and not thinking about all these injustices.. These cars are the same way.. BMW should be absolutely ruined producing a car with this many known common issues, yet it's hardly talked about.. just by us, the suckers who bought them.. you can yell at me all you want, but it's the truth.. years ago if you had an issue with a business, the manager came out, kissed your ass and gave you the royal treatment, now they basically tell you we don't care, call corporate.. why? Because most people are too "busy" to call, and the ones who do won't get a call back unless they squak for a couple weeks..

I am sorry for this long winded rant! I type very fast so it just comes out quickly.. Anyway, let it be known I just bought my car and haven't really had any issues with it yet besides L7, guibo, battery, etc.. I had to replace all the interior trim because like my E46 BMW put crap trim that peels and chips when you look at it wrong.. anyway I am not mad because I have spent all kinds of money fixing problems.. YET.. I am mad because I didn't listen, and I gave someone 10k cash for poorly built vehicle that would probably be impossible to sell.. If I can spare someone else from doing the same then I'd be happier.. Don't get me wrong, I love the feel the look, the whole drive, but I have glitches, and then come on here and see nothing but issues.. on the other boards there are people modding, etc, on here most every post is a problem..
In your case I don't know why you bought a 03 if everyone warned you. You should have just gotten a 750 an started there. Look at it this way though, at least you only paid 10k, unlike me an many others .

#15 ·
Well, aside from the hijack of this post :) I did have the Dension 500 installed and subsequently removed from my 06. I don't have specific answers but the ipod integration didn't work well at all and couldn't get the video to work even a bit. There was an issue though, with my car, in that I didn't have the correct plug in the back of the radio unit for the video, it was missing a piece. I think, and i could be wrong, that you need to have a different head unit, maybe it's called a HIGH unit or PROFESSIONAL? I really can't remember, it was awhile ago. It might be that you need the unit that has the rear entertainment installed or at least as an option.

#16 ·
There is a high end shop down the road that I am friends with the owner.. they had an E65 in there a couple years ago trying to install this.. they went through absolute hell trying to get it to work correctly.. they actually called me and I was able to flash the box with an update from the website and we were able to get it to work.. if I remember right it bypasses the changer because you use the "CD's 1-6" to work it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.