BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

793K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  hoppydidit 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this a sticky and merging all new AT threads from the main page into this one (I can not move older threads into this one because it will insert the previous messages above/before this post).

Thanks to AzNMpower32 for this summary:

The problem: A portion of 2007-08 X3s built between 9/2006 and 11/2007 my have possible faulty transmission software programming. This affects X3s equipped with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. The gearbox may fail to respond to throttle inputs, fail to engage a lower gear, or downshift very roughly in normal Drive mode. The problem is not exhibited in manual mode. Cold temperatures may or may not make the shifting quality worse.

The BMW fix There is a software update, this is the latest release as of 10/07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the situations below:

1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher. The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following diagnosis path:

Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference

It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.

DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.

Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology, adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures. Important notes:

* The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the following error:

EGS ***8211;Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty

* Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
Please post all future complaints and/or attempted resolutions on this thread! Thank you.

#888 · (Edited)
Got the X3 back. Unfortunately, the invoice does not show software versions. It only indicates DME and EGS were updated per SIB 24.08.07.

The car definitely upshifts smoother and quicker, especially between the 1/2 speeds. I never really had the other symptoms others have experienced. Will update after 300mi to let ppl know if things get bad again.

Update of initial impressions vs 2009 model.

Seems software update relaxed the tendency of the transmission to up shift when coasting, or at least, increased its tendency to downshift quickly when pedal is applied. This may be the reason why some may see a decrease in fuel economy, or flip it, the reason why bmw calibrated the transmission to stick it in high gear as long as possible inducing a lag during gas pedal application. Compared to the 2009, the transmission behaves the same, just the shifts arent as quick and crisp in the GM tranny. That is more of a ZF vs GM discussion. In terms of behavior, they act the same for me, for now.

Besides the speed choosing logic, the transmission is now up shifting and down shifting very quickly and smoothly, regardless of the logic of when to do so. I began to forget the about transmission, which is a good thing.

#889 · (Edited)
70 miles post software update.

Transmission is starting to learn to downshift less readily between my wife and I. Nothing different from the 2009 loaner I had, it in fact the loaner did not down shift readily. Hard acceleration is still smooth & crisp with the upshifts all the way through especially with the 1/2 speed shenanigans.

The car still picks a correct gear doing the "rolling" turns through corners. It does not fumble up a downshift if it needs it, everything is still smooth and crisp.

#892 ·
160 miles post software update

The wife is absolutely ripping on the car now around town. We purchased the car 3k miles ago CPO and I have been monitoring the transmission since I knew about the issue. Its a different beast now. She says, "It now makes me happy" as shes taking a ramp exit at 50mph. I have to admit, its fun for something of it's size and dimensions. I dont know if its the car, or if the weather is suddenly "summer" in Chicago.

Car's shifting pattern has not really changed since 70 miles post software update. All down and up shifts still smooth and crisp.

#893 ·
I hope you have great success. I feel as though I am one of the lucky ones. I now have 10k miles since the trans program update and still love the way it rides.

Now that I have my Iphone 3GS I may try to video how it shifts/rides. Another excuse to play with my phone!

#898 ·
210 miles post software update.

The X3 hasn't really changed personalities. Shifts still crisp and smooth. Car still is in proper gear when slowing down or exiting a turn. Its nice to have a car not engine brake on me while I slow down via brake pedal.

Things are looking good, unless things take an exponential nose dive before I reach 300mi mark.

#903 ·
You may want to consult this newbie! I just bought a 2007 x3, it is my first Bimmer and it seems that there are transmission challenges- both my husband and I recognize this and after reading these threads about this issue I am ready to return the vehicle! We live in a rural area- but I went to the BIG CITY the other day which was also the 4th of July holiday and almost got killed because of the transmission or computer glitch- So, what to do?? Give the service department at the dealership a chance to fix this- or print out this entire thread and go to the sales manager and insist on a different vehicle? I am also having challenges with the navigation, voice recognition and a rattling sunroof, so any leads on that subject would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for any advise friends

#904 · (Edited)
When did you buy it? I ask because some states will let you return it if it is within so many days of purchase. Unless, you signed a buyers remorse clause.

Whatever you do, make sure to document the issues and get documentation of the complaint with the dealer if you decide to let them handle it.

#905 ·
Burford, BMW build this thing using their drive-by-wire technology that is more complicated than an Airbus for c*$#!'@ sake. It could be one or many things' wrong that it would take them a long time to figure out why. My X3's software is flashed like ten times before they fixed my major erratic problem by replacing the camshaft and a solenoid valve. It's like 95% fixed now but it's never perfect after 2 and a half years since new. Don't allow them more than one chance to fix it, otherwise return it if possible.

#907 ·
I am pleasantly so surprised! You folks responded so quickly to my 2007 x3 dilemma!
We purchased the x3 on June 22, 2009 in Milford Delaware. As far as signing a buyer's remorse clause- well my husband took care of most of the paperwork, so I really am unsure- but will certainly look through the paperwork to find out! In the morning I will contact the service department and schedule the work to be done. I may be overly optimistic about the dealership cooperating and correcting this situation, but most of the associates and managers have been there for a very long time, which I feel very good about, plus my sales assistant has followed up with me for over the past 2 1/2 yrs trying to find a good vehicle. I really wanted a lilttle ol' Mercedes, but he boosted about the free maintenance on the BMW's and I realized that it was the way to go. He put me in a 2006 325xi and really urged me to get it- I loved it! What a mean machine and it felt like it read my mind! But my husband wanted something for hauling our 4 wheelers around to go hunting as well as his electric wheelchair, so the x3 seemed to be an adequate substitute...???? I hope that this all works out- now I am getting a bit concerned that we bought someones problem Bimmer, or should I say Lemoner.

#908 ·
A lot of people have had good success with the updates, but if you don't law will require documentation to prove that you have given the dealer ample oppurtunity to make good.

My SA and dealership were and are great, but remember they didn't design or are ultimately responsible for the vehicle.

#909 ·
Well, I looked at the paperwork that my husband signed, and it all looks good- no buyer remorse clause any where to be found! :thumbup:
I spoke with my sales associate and told him that we were very upset about the transmission plus a few other things and also mentioned that we wondered if we had purchased a dud.
I have documented all conversations as well as the problems that I have found with the car til now- and we will be taking the x3 in for service Thursday morning. So I guess we will see what happens from this point forward. I will keep you all posted with the good or bad news,
Thanks so much for all of the great advice!:angel2:

#910 ·
Over 3000 miles post software update.

Yes, you read it right. I recently drove from Chicago to New Orleans to Destin Florida then back to Chicago on a road trip. Car threw an SES light on the way to New Orleans. Peake BMW took me in and got the issues fixed, Exhaust Vanos Solenoid (Some SIB was mentioned) and apparently thermostat threw an error sometime ago. Car was behaving fine with the SES light though. Anyways, I was back on the road in 4hrs.

As far as the transmission, everything is all good still.

#913 ·
What's the latest software version to ask for? I just got a 2007 x3 with 24400 miles on it. I want toale sure they check this. Sorry to everyone who's had this issue. This is my first BMW. My brother is a master mechanic in cal for most all European makes.

#925 ·
I had the software update done around January, and it fixed all the annoyances. Took the car in for body work in April, and the transmission is right back to square one. Called the Service Dept at the dealership and asked if having the battery disconnected for some period of time during the repair could have caused any issues with the software update, and was told "no." Thoughts?

#926 ·
...Called the Service Dept at the dealership and asked if having the battery disconnected for some period of time during the repair could have caused any issues with the software update, and was told "no." Thoughts?
Couldn't resist to ask, is the "no" for:

Having the battery disconnected for some period of time?

Having caused any issues with the software update?

Any problems with the transmission?

or

Any idea what's going on what-so-ever?

#927 ·
Here are your choices:

1) Deal with the dealer when this is NOT a dealer issue. They are independent of BMW N/A. All you'll get from the dealer is a free cookie everytime you show up to get it fixed.
2) Be like we were and listen to their "all we want to do is help you" non-sense for a large portion of the lease until they have you past the point of no return (legally).
3) Spend your entire lease going back and forth to the dealer to get another "fix" that everyone knows won't work.
4) Keep sending in those big checks on time and keep getting more pissed off.
5) Having a family member killed because you got hit at an intersection and all they can say is "the vehicle is operating properly and as designed".
6) Get an attorney early and don't lose your ass like we did. Yea, it's a hassle but just think how you're going to feel after sending in 24 or more of those big checks and feeling you've been had!

#932 ·
...is this issue more the exception, rather than the rule?
All things considered, if you have to buy an X3, it's much better to buy used: yes there are bad ones out there, but you can at least do some extensive test drives on them. You can dug up their service history and avoid those that have questionable past. Even if you have made a bad choice, good dealers can accommodate you. Worst comes to worst the financial hit would be much less than buying new. When you buy new, you are stuck with whatever you've got; depreciation kicked-in the first day the car is on the road. And you lose 1/2 the value in the first three years, whether you like it or not.

I bought my 2007 X3 AT after having great experiences with an E46 AT and a 2004 X3 AT. I love those 5 speed AT's. D, SD and manual modes, I love them all. Great automatics. Manuals are better still but the AT's are great for what they do. The same cannot be said on my 2007 AT, some disappointment even when it seems to be working "the way it's supposed to". Is mine an exception? I often ask. But just because I had no choice but to go along with BMW's "automatic service update" program, I came across many of the dealer's automatic e90's and X3's. And l have varying degree of dissatisfaction on all of them too. They don't behave quite the same as each other, just like my X3 not feeling the same each time and over time. I seem to like one 2008 X3 AT and there is a MT e90 I liked a lot. Back in early 2007, there was no warning that the newer AT would turn out to be so problematic, otherwise I wouldn't have considered. To me, it looks like a BMW with good AT is the exception, rather than the rule.

Adding to the injury, I found out that in Canada, where there is no (mandatory) Lemon Law protection for car buyers, BMW Canada is committed to giving unlimited number of fixes as the only option available when dealing with these tough to repair problems. The safer bet to buy a BMW X3 now, is an MT, otherwise go with a Used, but not before doing adequate homework on it.

#930 ·
I'm a longtime BMW owner also looking at used X3's, and one of the cars is an 07 AT.

I test drove it and can't say I recall any issues, though it was only about 20 miles, and it was BEFORE I discovered all the complaints. Knowing there was an "issue" probably would have made me find one! It's a high mile car (46k) so I'm guessing if the problem was going to occur it would have already? Does anyone have stats on what percentage of vehicles are affected? Opinions on "mass market" sites like Edmunds seem to be about 2/3rds fine, 1/3 pissed-off-to-no-end. I'm assuming 99.9% of those reviewers have AT models.

Also, the thing that makes no sense is how some cars could have this issue and not respond to a fix, and other cars not have the issue ever? Cars are not organic. They don't "feel like" working and "not feel like" working. Some were not raised in better families and had more advantages and grew up to be more successful.... It just doesn't make sense!

I'm sure this is why BMW is so resistant to dealing with this - it does not make any engineering sense, and if you know German engineers you know that if it is not rational then it simply cannot exist. This sounds like a joke but it is actually how they think, and the reason why so many of the problems over the years have aggravated the crap out of us BMW customers, with no sympathy from BMW.

I really like the X3 otherwise, and expect I could negotiate a price that already factors in the massive depreciation hit. So what are the odds of a good one going bad after 47k miles?

Thanks.

#931 ·
I have read a lot of this thread and feel awful for those that have this problem. I was seriously considering an x3, but now I am not so sure. It's sad because IMO the x3 is the perfect combination of size, looks and power for an SAV. (Kinda like the 5 series) Does anyone with an 09 x3 have this same problem? Thanks.

#1,026 · (Edited)
Run like the wind far, far away!

I wish I had been you in early August.

I would never have gone anywhere near any BMW dealership for any car after reading this thread. Count yourself lucky if this thread dissuaded you from buying any BMW ever again.

I am now hearing that the hesitation while accelerating could be a fuel problem? Shouldn't this be Occam's Razor?

Some people have commented that these problems get worse with the drop in temperature. The no forward movement problem started happening two weeks ago. The temperature should be dropping later this week so I will see if it gets worse.

#934 · (Edited)
We don't have them here for some stupid reason, but why not the 103TDI Tiguan?

The Tiguan was going to be my replacement if things didn't work out for me.

BTW I am glad BMW and I came to an understanding. I love my MT.

If you want fast and petrol the 2.0 TFSI is a known great engine and VW's are easy to be upgraded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.