BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

overheating? +20 degrees 83' 320i

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  galaxyflier 
#1 ·
I just did some extensive tuning up on my 1983 320i(jetronic) removal of heat shielf abover manifold, scraped years of **** off the motor and undercarige, radiator flush, all kinds of thing where done to where it shouldnt even be able to overheat..new waterpump and thermostat....new thermo switch. dude...WTF..still heats up!:mad: it gets to about 3/4 on the gauge when sitting..no hotter tho. when i turn the defrost on it jumps up a lil bit right away which is the opposite of what i would expect to happen and with the auxillary fan on it doesnt cool down. i dont get it. there is a slight smell of coolant tho...the previouse owner had an invoice that said it needed a heater core..but it heats up and the heat blows HOT.

HELP PLZ...could the heater core be causing my overheating issue? or would you think i have a bad relay or my gauge off?...it gets up to the middle BEFORE the thermostat opens so i'm thinkin the gauge is off or something.:thumbdwn:

I DO plan on replacing the heatercore eventually just to get rid of the smell..no visible leaks inside or out as far as coolant goes and it's full so wtf?!>? :bawling:

I'm thinking the addition of a fan shroud may help as well...but if you know how to get this thing to run 20 degrees cooler....let me know.:dunno:

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm gonna throw this out there. Make sure your mixture of antifreeze is correct.. I had that problem for a while and that ended up being part of it.. I've also heard the thermo heat sensors. I don't currently have my manual at hand, but I think there's also a cold start guage.. I really don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.