BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What to look for buying LOW mile 2000 M5

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jygesq 
#1 · (Edited)
I found a 2000 M5 with 44k miles locally.

I'm curious what I should look for considering the low miles on a 13 year old car. What parts might have deteriorated due to age rather than mileage?

Does anything age more quickly when the car is rarely driven?

#2 ·
I'm guessing anything made of rubber or plastic. Or electronic. Have a mechanic look at it. Check the window seals, engine seals, hoses, fan belts, and the torque coupling at the back of the transmission. Bushings all around. Rodent damage from sitting and getting rats in the engine compartment, eating wires.

If it has no leaks and runs, and doesn't have a check engine light, and has a clean title and Carfax, then the only thing I'd worry about is the owner trying to get a premium price for those unused miles.

My '02 has 117k - about 10k/year. This '00 has what - 3,300 mi/year? That's definitely "low miles".

#3 ·
I'm guessing anything made of rubber or plastic. Or electronic. Have a mechanic look at it. Check the window seals, engine seals, hoses, fan belts, and the torque coupling at the back of the transmission. Bushings all around. Rodent damage from sitting and getting rats in the engine compartment, eating wires.

If it has no leaks and runs, and doesn't have a check engine light, and has a clean title and Carfax, then the only thing I'd worry about is the owner trying to get a premium price for those unused miles.

My '02 has 117k - about 10k/year. This '00 has what - 3,300 mi/year? That's definitely "low miles".
I definitely do agree on Mark's recommendation,

I on the other hand would be worried about the electrical parts, again as Mark,s suggestion about the rodents.

Good luck!

#6 ·
the electronics are what I would worry about because they aren't really replaced as part of regular maintenance like bushings, seals, etc should be. They are generally just replaced when they break. Stuff like the LCM, abs control module, wheel speed sensors etc. Anything with a three letter acronym really. Unfortunately that isn't something you can really plan for. If it runs and drives without a single issue right now thats great, but before buying it bear in mind that things will fail. I bought a 2000 528i with 197k a little over a year ago and have put about 11k on it since. E39's are cars for people who know whats what with cars and aren't afraid of a little DIYing. Don't let that dissuade you though. I love my car to death and would rather be on the side of the road with it than driving a more reliable car. If your worried about how it was maintained, there's nothing better than a good sit down with the last owner. If they have a mechanic they always took the car to, talk to them as well. Good luck with whatever you decide, and if you end up buying it, I guarantee you will love it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.