BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Using FOB to open lift-gate

Tags
fob liftgate
5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  gt=hi&bye 
#1 ·
I saw there was a thread about trying to open the lift-gate from inside the car. It sounded like the 2012 operates differently than the 2011. Can anybody summarize the details.

But, I get side-tracked so easily .... I was looking for how to open the lift-gate (e.g. not the small trunk lid) using the remote. It seems, I've managed to accidentally trigger it by bending over with my keys in my front pocket (polite company will not comment on the fact that if I lose 30lbs that likely wouldn't happen). soooo....

How do you open the lift-gate on a 2011 535 GT using the key fob?

Thad

#4 ·
Hmmm. Well, I tried that. It did set off the alarm - which is what the manual said it was supposed to do.

Does it matter if you are near the car? I tried it while standing back by the liftgate.

#5 ·
If you hold that button too long, it will set off the alarm. Try holding it for a lesser period. You have to be as close as you would be for the unlocking of your drivers door. Mine works at a distance of 30-40 feet.

#9 ·
That's it. It's more than a quick press, but less that 3 seconds. I would call it 1.5-2 seconds. If you go to 3, you get the alarm. I think this is great. I didn't see this in the manual anywhere.

Anyway, thanks everyone for helping me figure this one out!!

#14 ·
Open and Close Liftgate from FOB (video attached)...

Here is how you open the lift-gate from the FOB. You need to have the power lift-gate option installed on your car!

Hold down the Panic Button for 2 seconds... Power lift-gate opens

In order to close the power-lift gate using your FOB, you must have the car properly coded first to perform this option. Again, the car must be coded!!!

To close the power lift-gate, hold the panic button for 2 seconds.

Viola!

Click on link to see video.

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=TailgateopenandcloseswithFOB.mp4

#15 ·
Open Liftgate from FOB but close from inside car (video attached)...

Here is how you open the lift-gate from the FOB, but close lift-gate from inside the car. You need to have the power lift-gate option installed on your car!

Hold down the Panic Button for 2 seconds... Power lift-gate opens

In order to close the power-lift gate using the button inside the car, you must have the car properly coded first to perform this option. Again, the car must be coded!!!

To close the power lift-gate, hold the button on the inside of the car.

Click on link to see video.

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=TailgateopenwithFOBclosefrominside.mp4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.