BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M3 owners, tell me about your 6MT shift quality

13K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  edge9 
#1 ·
I've got a 2011 E92 with the 6MT (yes, yes, I should have gotten the DCT). Problem is, my 2nd gear is very notchy and will grind (but still go into gear every time) when attempting a high-rev (say, over 4000 RPM) 1-2 shift. I baby it as much as I can and rev match all downshifts, but compared to all the other gears it's terrible. The same is true for the 3-2 downshift...very notchy and noticeably worse than the other gears. In all cases, 2nd gear requires more force than the rest unless the revs are perfectly matched.

I've owned the car since it had 43 miles on the odometer (it now has 5800), and it's always been this way. I didn't have an issue on the test drive, but the car didn't get fully warmed up, and it was absolutely pouring rain outside, so I drove very carefully.

After the 1200-mile service nothing changed. It felt exactly the same. I don't have much confidence in my local BMW dealer, either. :thumbdwn: They installed the wrong headlight switch when I had my US-spec car converted to the mandatory UK taillights, and the service advisor wouldn't return my calls to get the problem corrected.

I've read some threads that suggest it may be a normal BMW thing, and I have read the service bulletin, but that was primarily for 08-09s, right?

So, tell me....how does the shift quality of your 2nd gear compare with the rest? Do they all feel the same? Can you perform the 1-2 shift easily at high RPM without worrying you're damaging the transmission? Anyone here had their transmission looked at for something similar?

I'm anticipating lots of pain related to getting this resolved and would like to go in well informed. Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
I heard about some people complaining about the notchy 1-2 shift on the older models ('08/'09), but I personally have no experience.

My M3 shifts just fine in all gears. Compared to my previous BMWs, it's one of the easiest to shift. The clutch engagement point is a little too high for my taste, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The clutch also got lighter compared to the older BMWs.

I have no regrets about choosing the MT over the DCT. It really suits the character of the car well IMHO.

#5 · (Edited)
And care to enlighten us with your insights and reference points?

Besides the a little rubbery feel of the shifter and long-throw clutch (hallmark of all BMW MTs), it's pretty much spot on and perfectly executed (e.g. gas/brake pedals are positioned perfectly for h&t).

#6 ·
Shifting seems a little more 'notchy' than my old 335, but overall it's really easy to drive and going in and out of gears has a nice positive feel.

Clutch take-up is a little high like others have said. Otherwise I love it!

#7 ·
I sometimes used to feel some notchy shifting when driving my son's 2011 M3, but now I do what I used to do with my '09 Corvette ZO6 before starting out on my drive, and it works for the M3 as well. While waiting for the engine to warm up a bit from a cold start, I push the clutch pedal in and row through the gears a couple of times. You will feel it loosen up as you go through the gears. The notchiness will be eliminated or nearly so when you start driving.

#13 ·
This is a very good suggestion. Every evening I pull into my garage and put it in neutral when I shut it off. The next morning, when I try to shift into reverse, it doesnt want to go there. What I do now is go through 1-2-3-4 while it is warming up then it goes right into reverse with no problem.

#8 ·
The getrag transmissions have always been a bit notchy and my E90M3 is no exception. I picked up an '08 with 19k miles, it is notchy. The 1->2 shift is smooth, but I think most complain about the inability to shift fast from 1->2 and this may be because the ratios are spread out much farther from 1st to 2nd. The other gears are more closely matches so maybe their synchronizers are designed differently for that purpose of use, especially on a track where 1st may not be used nearly as much as 2->5? Just guessing here.

E9xM3:

(1st) 4.06
(2nd) 2.4
(3rd) 1.58
(4th) 1.19
(5th) 1.00
(6th) 0.87

#10 ·
I find it shifts smoothly enough, well maybe not rifle bolt smooth but ok. A bit notchy, but nothing dramatic.

#11 · (Edited)
Besides the a little rubbery feel of the shifter and long-throw clutch (hallmark of all BMW MTs), it's pretty much spot on and perfectly executed (e.g. gas/brake pedals are positioned perfectly for h&t).[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I don't like it. I test drove a Cayman and 911 in stick form, I feel that Porsche has it down. BMW has been known for the way BMW's MT's feel. That changed for 2013. I am not sure what changed, but, they finally did it right.

#12 ·
Shift quality

I've got a 2011 E92 with the 6MT (yes, yes, I should have gotten the DCT). Problem is, my 2nd gear is very notchy and will grind (but still go into gear every time) when attempting a high-rev (say, over 4000 RPM) 1-2 shift. I baby it as much as I can and rev match all downshifts, but compared to all the other gears it's terrible. The same is true for the 3-2 downshift...very notchy and noticeably worse than the other gears. In all cases, 2nd gear requires more force than the rest unless the revs are perfectly matched.
Had same issue on my early '08. All I can tell you is it will likely get better with more miles (10k+). It's never going to be perfect. Still, prefer the driving experience to the DCT.

#14 · (Edited)

Attachments

#18 ·
^^^ I'm always surprised to recall how weedy the stock M3 shift knob looks compared to the ZHP knob. Definitely one on the best things I changed on the car, up there with the Lux H8 AE's I think.

#24 ·
Aha I forgot that another mod I did was the Euro light switch replacement; easy DIY and now I have factory look rear fogs enabled.

Oh and one more, the Ultimate Pedals Heel Toe extension plate, my feet are smallish so it helps to enable me to blip the throttle on downshifts...

Ok that's it. :D

#21 ·
My sun visors are the vinyl type and removing the warning labels was very easy.

1)Remove the visors from the car
2) Using a cotton ball, saturate the label with acetone (fingernail polish remover). Within a few minutes the label will begin the wrinkle. You can now pull the label from the visor. Rub any difficult areas of the label with the acetone soaked cotton ball.
3) After the acetone dries there will be a faint image of the label adhesive in the shape of the label. Apply Goof Off to the glue and scrub with a tooth brush using moderate pressure.
4) Wash with soap and water.

When finished there was no indication that a label was ever present.

I performed this procedure on a second car with the same results.

#23 ·
My sun visors are the vinyl type and removing the warning labels was very easy.
I performed this procedure on a second car with the same results.
Excellent, thanks...

#25 · (Edited)

I've owned the car since it had 43 miles on the odometer (it now has 5800), and it's always been this way. I didn't have an issue on the test drive, but the car didn't get fully warmed up, and it was absolutely pouring rain outside, so I drove very carefully.

After the 1200-mile service nothing changed. It felt exactly the same. I don't have much confidence in my local BMW dealer, either. :thumbdwn: They installed the wrong headlight switch when I had my US-spec car converted to the mandatory UK taillights, and the service advisor wouldn't return my calls to get the problem corrected.

I've read some threads that suggest it may be a normal BMW thing, and I have read the service bulletin, but that was primarily for 08-09s, right?

So, tell me....how does the shift quality of your 2nd gear compare with the rest? Do they all feel the same? Can you perform the 1-2 shift easily at high RPM without worrying you're damaging the transmission? Anyone here had their transmission looked at for something similar?

I'm anticipating lots of pain related to getting this resolved and would like to go in well informed. Cheers!
Im not sure if you go this resolved, but if it is actually grinding on 1->2 shift or even the 3->2 shift (unless it is perfectly rev matched) then maybe the issue is a bad dog clutch. Have you had service test this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.