BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is The 2014 Nav Update Worth Doing?

156K views 2K replies 517 participants last post by  shawnsheridan 
#1 · (Edited)
I am pretty well satisfied with the Nav system in my 2012 535xi. Luckily I have had only minor issues, and none of the horror stories others have seen.

I received an email offer from TomTom for a $245 update to my nav system. I hate to change something that's working pretty well for an unknown new outcome. And, while $245 is not cheap, I would do it if I thought the results would be worth it.

I know there is another current thread with many well-justified complaints about the nav system, but there aren't many comments one way or another about whether the update is worth while.

I would appreciate learning if those of you who have done the 2013 update have found the improvements worth while.

#186 ·
Don't see why they would care. They're still getting paid for their labor.

Call each one of the dealers in your area and ask them. A good SA/technician won't care. They're not getting paid extra for selling you an FSC code. Another dealer could have cut you a deal for all they know.

Sean

#192 ·
#200 ·
Shawn I have a 2012, can you send me the update details? Thanx in advance.. I just returned from a road trip was misdirected several times by the CrapNav. Can't believe BMW has the nerve to charge $250 to repair their POS nav system. To bad they don't get the same bad press Apple Maps received.

#203 ·
Just did the install. How do I get to the Nav vewrsion screen?

Thanks

#204 ·
Never mind - I got it. Thanks Shawn!!:thumbup:

#208 ·
Yeah...so no problem there. Just USB. What year are the maps on the car?

#213 ·
Sorry, but your E65 will have the older CCC iDrive system. The CIC was not introduced in the 7 Series until September 2008 with the then new F01 chassis.

If you have 609 Navigation, you need a DVD in the dedicated DVD drive, with South Africa Map region.

#225 ·
FYI went great on my 2011 535i (build date 7/2010). Just stuck it in the glovebox USB and it started within 10-15 seconds.

Total time was about 45-50 minutes in the car (note: "copying to car" is the whole thing; I was afraid it would also have to expand once copied).

Other notes:
1. I was afraid to shut off the car, so I kept it running in my garage. I did however shut it off and back on during the load, but it continued.
>> I would not recommend walking away from the car with only ignition on/car not running since it might automatically shut down after 15-20 minutes (this was a software update to the car after mine and other early/mid builds burned out batteries when dealers/valets accidentally left cars on).
2. When I opened the door during the "enter code" screen, it automatically cancelled. So I had to start over before it started.
3. AFTER the load, my screen looked a lot more blurry (the grey/traffic screen got a lot better, btw). Turns out that "perspective during 3D" got more realistic, which = blurry). If you don't like it, turn off perspective during 3D.
4. It all seemed a lot slower at first, but got faster after turning car off/locking and then returning.
5. Initially the navigation version screen was completely blank, but similar to #4, it fixed itself.
6. I used a $15 Sandisk Cruzer Glide 32GB USB stick.

#228 ·
Hmm...something is not right I don't think. MAP update codes are specific to the MAP year.

For example, for a single VIN for CIC North America, I just generated the following Map Update Codes:

2012:
3VHZVP4I5ABKOABNAACA
2013:
VIFBSSQGZHIMUABNAACQ
2014:
6QQ5DVQ3IHQ3QABNAADA

As you can see, all 3 years are different.

Maybe what he meant is that if you get 2013 working he will just send you that code for free.

#231 ·
Well, that is interesting as 1) I have yet to see a 2013 CIC DVD set, and 2) I have never seen where an update from one year to a newer year uses the same FSC code.

I'll touch base with him and see what he is talking about.

#235 ·
Those are from the DVD's I got from you.

He is not in the us so I would not use the EU ones. Unless you sent me the wrong ones :)

I did not download anything from him.
I know that, but just because he is in Europe doesn't mean he has only Europe Maps. Most of the people who sell FSC Codes have a full compliment of maps at their disposal.

As I said, I will find out what he meant by upgrading from 2012 to 2013 via DVD and using the same code from 2012.

#236 ·
I know that, but just because he is in Europe doesn't mean he has only Europe Maps. Most of the people who sell FSC Codes have a full compliment of maps at their disposal.

As I said, I will find out what he meant by upgrading from 2012 to 2013 via DVD and using the same code from 2012.
Thanks Shawn,

He did not offer any downloads to me. Everything I got was from you.

I was really expecting the 2013 code not to work with the 2012 maps to be honest. Once I get the 2012 loaded I will try the 2013 maps to see if getting the newest version helps to recognize the 2013 data.

Again thanks for your time Shawn.

#240 ·
Hmm..and that is what you used and is working on the 2012 DVD's. Very strange.

#249 ·
For those who have the 2012 maps - were they as "blurry" (anti-aliased) in 3D/Perspective view?

My 2010 maps were not, but then again, perspective didn't do much.

It's almost headache-inducing on the 2013 maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.