BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Supercharged 2.8 or S52?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Randy Forbes 
#1 ·
Take an existing 2.8 Z3 coupe. You can supercharge it or replace it with an S52. The suspension and diff are already S52 level.

Thanks

#2 ·
2.8 Z3 Coupe suspension is not the same as ///M version (S-52) unless you or someone else has already swapped front struts, springs, upper bearings, brake calipers/rotors and rear crossmember, trailng arms, axles, brakes, shocks, springs and differential.

#3 ·
Front & rear struts, springs, and sway bars are off a lowered S52 coupe, the diff is from an S52 roadster. All the rest is stock 2.8 (upper bearings, brake calipers/rotors and rear crossmember, trailng arms, axles)

#4 ·
daven said:
Front & rear struts, springs, and sway bars are off a lowered S52 coupe, the diff is from an S52 roadster. All the rest is stock 2.8 (upper bearings, brake calipers/rotors and rear crossmember, trailng arms, axles)
In that case, I think it would be easier to supercharge the 2.8 compared to transplanting an S-52. Depends on whether you have real cheap access to a decent 3.2 versus the cost of forced induction.

#6 ·
Randy Forbes said:
2.8 Z3 Coupe suspension is not the same as ///M version (S-52) unless you or someone else has already swapped front struts, springs, upper bearings, brake calipers/rotors and rear crossmember, trailng arms, axles, brakes, shocks, springs and differential.
Randy,

I know the crossmembers of the M versus Z3 Coupe carry different part numbers, but how exactly are they different other than exhaust hanger mounts? I've heard they are identical other than that and was wondering if you could confirm based on your experience. Thanks.

#7 ·
JediZ said:
Randy,

I know the crossmembers of the M versus Z3 Coupe carry different part numbers, but how exactly are they different other than exhaust hanger mounts? I've heard they are identical other than that and was wondering if you could confirm based on your experience. Thanks.
I really cannot say, I have only been up close and personal with the M version. I do know that the M XMBR has "HP" painted on it.

Considering the narrower axles/trailing arms, the pickup points may be relocated. No proof though

Seems that somebody thought the M piece was a heavier gauge, but I have no way to substantiate that, it may be pure speculation...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.