Do you think I should trade in my E70 for a 535 M Sport

• Yea

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 6 28.6%

Trade E70 for F10

4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 ·
Thinking of trading in my 2011 X5 diesel, sport package for a 535 M Sport. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
Did the opposite...in fact several members here traded their F10 for an E70. F10 has had a lot of growing pains but 2013s may be better now.

#5 ·
Duh. :D

I'm sure the E70 is a great car and of course serves a different purpose, but man the F10 is a masterpiece of a car. Does everything well, IMO.

#6 ·
Wife drives the X5. It definitely handles differently than my F10. Our X5 has the M Sport + Anti Roll so it corners like a sedan. The steering is hydraulic in the X5 so the feel is very different. I would say the steering feel matches closer to the 3 and I believe that's one of the reasons why some folks here went from an F10 to the E70. I like them both. Distinctively different.

#7 · (Edited)
The F10 will out perform the E70 in all areas excluding off road performance. The E70 is also fairly old tech and on its way out. I think the issues a model experiences are always overblown on the internet. Case in point being the major fears of IMS failures on 997.1 911s, much ado about nothing IMO. Loving my 550 so far other than the rather clunky interface between BMW apps and Pandora. As an aside the AWD F10s have hydraulic steering as well.

#8 ·
I had an '09 E70 35d. Nice car but I just never bonded with it. Turns out it was the vehicle that got me out of SUVs (pardon me - SAVs) and back to proper cars. Alas, my days of hauling hockey players are nearly behind me. The more I drive the F10 the more I appreciate it. No regrets.

Although I can no longer stop off at the furniture store and shove a club chair or electronics cabinet in the back...

#9 ·
You haven't said why you are contemplating this, which is crucial.

#10 · (Edited)
My excuse is not really valid. I am just feeling the need for something sportier, more nimble, and with a manual transmission! Plus, I love the look of the F10. I used to have an E60 545 sport with a manual. Really miss it. Traded it in on the X because the X seemed practical for the family at the time. I always had the F10 in mind.

#15 ·
That's jusy what I did - traded my E70 4.4 X5 Sport for an F10; no regrets although I still haven't got my F10 yet, but only another 1-2 weeks to go now! I'd always had 5ers but always felt that I wanted to drive an X5 & while I really enjoyed it (one of my mates likened it to the a380 shoving you back in the seat when it really took off) I also never really bonded with it, So now back to my 1st love - the 5 series.

#16 ·
FWIW we have both, and I find the E70 35D immensely more satisfying. Better seats, better steering feel, no tip in issues, no weird vibrations or other silliness. Plus an honest to God (donut) spare tire.

When the X5 goes off lease, it will likely be replaced by another BMW, but not an F10. Sorry.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

#17 ·
FWIW we have both, and I find the E70 35D immensely more satisfying. Better seats, better steering feel, no tip in issues, no weird vibrations or other silliness. Plus an honest to God (donut) spare tire.

When the X5 goes off lease, it will likely be replaced by another BMW, but not an F10. Sorry.

You might like your seat hard, because the comfort seat in the X5 is harder than the 535's.

Sounds like you are comparing a 2011 X5 which has most of its bugs worked out already to a very buggy 1st year design F10.

#24 · (Edited)
I don't really agree that adjustable side bolsters are only needed if you are very slim or very large. Side bolsters are about support and fit. If you like supportive seats that you can brace against you need either a seat with high passive bolsters or adjustable bolsters. Adjustable bolsters allows the same seat to be supportive for most body types. High passive bolsters can be excellent but only for a a narrow range of body types. The F10 has neither high supportive passive bolsters or adjustable bolsters which is the norm in luxury cars while sportier cars offers one or the other. When you get used to being hugged and get support from the seat it's difficult to go back and feeling like you are being thrown around or swimming in the seat. It makes a large car feel even larger and I can't understand why they omitted this feature in the US. We get the sporty option of manuals but no supportive seats, it makes no sense BMWNA, especially since it comes in the F01 and I think even the F07. Come back with LCI?

#27 ·
I can't understand why they omitted this feature in the US.
Does it have to do with the US seats having airbags in the sides? My E60 seats (with adjustable side bolsters) didn't have airbags in the sides of the seats like the F10.

-Corey

#25 ·
My guess is that the next gen X5 comfort seats will not have adjustable side bloster as well. I consider myself medium build and if the side bloster were adjustable, I would have adjusted them to where the current F10's non-adjustable side bloster is at right now. The only time I might want more side support is when I am really tossing the car around, but I really dont do that in my 535i. If I had a M5, that might be a difference story, BTW, even the M5 dont have adjustable side bloster I believe. At the end of the day, BMW design the F10 more for comfort than sport, the seats are design along the same philosophy, thats why they are softer than the X5's comfort seats.

#26 · (Edited)
The difference is that with the BMW adjustable bolsters adjusted to the same width as your seats you would get far more support. These bolsters take advantage of being adjustable and adds firmer, higher bolsters and still cater for comfort for different body types.

Your argument about luxury makes sense but why then are the bolsters in Europe on the F10 and on the F01 and F07 in the US? It looks like BMWNA decided for you that the F10 is less sporty than those but still offer the F10 in manual? Explain that, if you can?

#29 ·
My E70 X5 has side boosters, and airbags in them. Next guess?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.