BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F30 328ix ABSOLUTELY worst headlights EVER!!

42K views 173 replies 44 participants last post by  gkr778 
#1 ·
Ok, I didnt get the premium package with the Xenons, but my 2007 base 328i was just fine with the headlights. I havent had headlights this bad since the mid 80's in any car I have had..... Any suggestions? Could they just be out of line? Should I get some Sylvania SilverStar Ultras? Any better bulbs....

#19 ·
I didn't get the lighting package because it wasn't in my budget. Honestly, when safety is greatly increased by better night vision, even a $37k car should have Xenons standard. I'd let BMW keep a whole lot of the other electronic and idrive related items in exchange for better headlights.

Yes , Silverstar Ultras will help.

The F30 is a $50,000 German luxury car. It can be stripped down to $37,000 but it doesn't mean it should be.

BJ

#5 · (Edited)
One of the few, very few, issues I have with my new 328i is the headlights. First, they were aimed way too low. I raised them up, two full turns, and a big help. They are not too high, but just the same as my other cars now and no one has ever flashed me. Almost think mine came out of the factory wrong. I then put Silverstar Ultra's in the high beams. Some help, but not much. The real problem is, there is a gap between the low beam and high beam coverage, making the high beams too high, like in the trees. Turning on the high beams does not really make the road brighter, except at the end of a very long straight. I know, lowering the housing would bring down the high beams, but the gap would still be there and the low beams would be way too low. Check it out closely and you will see the gap in coverage. Of course on this car, turning on the high beams just turns on the seperate high beam bulbs, leaving the low beams on in the same position. The relationship between the coverage, bulb position, is not adjustable but fixed with the housing. I would be interested if others notice this after taking a close look.

#6 ·
Maybe this thread will be a good motivator for anyone sitting on the fence about the $900 headlight upgrade on the 328i (335i already has the best lights).

Every single time I drive at night, I'm amazed at how good the Xenons are. And the LED coronas look absolutely gorgeous during the day. It's a shame that the beautiful F30 can even be ordered with halogens.

#15 ·
I agree - just throw the damn xenons into the base price @ invoice cost which is probably around $700. For someone who is on the fence about purchasing new, its practically just 1 more monthly payment. As for buying used, its a bit more difficult to extract average market price for that option, but once again its going to be in the noise of a single payment unlike something like the premium or sport packages.

#10 ·
Thanks for everyone's contribution. I am ordering the headlights on the post and adjusting the headlights. I did expect at least honda civic quality lights on my lightly equipped bmw. My 2007 328i stripper lights were sufficient. I was wondering if the ligjts got worse than the 2007 lights.

#18 ·
335i has the lighting package standard :)

#21 ·
It's likely all auto makers most profitable add-on feature, probably the most popular too.

I didn't get the lighting package because it wasn't in my budget. Honestly, when safety is greatly increased by better night vision, even a $37k car should have Xenons standard. I'd let BMW keep a whole lot of the other electronic and idrive related items in exchange for better headlights.
I'd agree in principle, but it's the price we pay for having $50,000 cars that can be de-featured to $37,000.

When buying the car, the budget shouldn't skimp on safety features, another way to look at it.

BJ

#62 · (Edited)
#25 ·
Paying $4000 just to get lights is ridiculous. I didnt like the Premium package (I think you have to get the premium package for the privilege of paying $900 for lights). The dealerships cant even tell the difference between leather and leatherette, and those packages REALLY depreciate. Plus with the my2013, I got the garage door opener and the memory power seats.

#30 · (Edited)
The Premium package is no longer a prerequisite for the Lighting package.

$900 is all that stands in the way of the right lighting for the car. Similarly, the BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB is only $650. These are the two options most whined-about when disappointed owners get their cars and realize they can't do certain things.

When you buy the $50,000 version as BMW intended, no one thinks about these things. It only affects those who choose to deconstruct a 3 Series for the sake of being in a BMW. You get all these goodies in a $39,000 Acura. Can't get those goodies in a $39,000 3 Series. Life isn't fair. You pay more for luxury brands. You want the handling and status of a BMW, pay the price. You want value and gobs of features, see your local Infiniti dealer.

BJ

#27 ·
I would suggest doing a retrofit. The Retrofit Source's prices are fair enough, and the guys over there are super helpful and are out to help you get what you want, not your life savings.
Just please don't put HID's in the bowls without getting projectors along with them if you decide to do it.
-Happy TRS repeat customer

#33 ·
BJ, I'm convinced that your favorite flavor of kool-aid is BMW. While you're sipping on some from your roundel mug look up the words "option" and "standard" in the dictionary. Have a good day.

#43 ·
Ask yourself, would the most expensive luxury car in its segment release a vehicle without a full-sized LCD, xenons, and leather and intend for it to be purchased for $37,000 or less?

Of course not.

Unlike other brands, BMW does not have a step-down brand from which to dip in the well twice. They are not Acura with their Honda. They are not Lexus with their Toyota. They are not Audi with their Volkswagen. As a result, they need to do something different. They need to allow people on a tight budget to get into their version of an Accord, and to do that they need to allow those people to delete a ton of luxury features to accomplish that goal.

BMW sells tons of 3 Series for a reason. It's two cars in one. It's a $50,000 best-in-class luxury car and a $37,000 stripper for the status-conscious. Nothing wrong with that.

BJ

#72 ·
The big thing for me is that I wanted a 4 door, manual transmission, fast car. Other than no standard sunroof (which I've had on my last 4 cars and never opened) and leather not standard, what else could a 3 series have for it not to be considered loaded???? Power everything, auto a/c, idrive, nice stereo, folding rear seats, great styling, keyless entry, amazing 8 speed transmission or manual for no extra charge. All these new luxury options have NOTHING to do with driving! BMW has never called themselves "the ultimate luxury car".
A similarly priced Acura would have gotten you the equivalent of a $52,000 F30 with all the bells and whistles.

"Loaded" these days means navigation, xenons, leather, full USB, full Bluetooth, park distance control, rear camera, full keyless entry, heated seats, fully adjustable power seats, sunroof, and on and on. Basically, take an F30, add all the packages, you've got an Acura that's still $7,000-$10,000 cheaper with all that stuff.

You have a great car, enjoy it. My only point is that BMW's aren't designed from the bottom-up. They're designed at the top and can be de-featured on the way down. Not a very controversial comment, not sure why it's causing a reaction. And moreso now than ever before; even the crisp suspension and handling gets taken off down at $37,000, have to pay for a Sport line or an Adaptive M Suspension just to get back to where the E90 left off. And the new 320i? Allows you to strip out the horsepower, too.

BJ

#73 · (Edited)
My only point is that BMW's aren't designed from the bottom-up. They're designed at the top and can be de-featured on the way down. Not a very controversial comment, not sure why it's causing a reaction.
You are correct in stating your comment isn't a very controversial one. The reason it caused reaction on this thread is because the comment isn't based in reality.

As with nearly all global automakers, BMW automobiles are provided in specific base configurations suited to the markets in which they are sold. Optional features and packages can then be added to the base configuration, per customer requirements.

Also, the 3-Series is NOT marketed as a luxury car, at least in the U.S. market. And as woodswatchco mentioned previously in this thread, even the BMW Automobiles marque does not emphasize luxury.

#45 ·
for me the xenon light was a must, but paying $50 grand on a 328 is insane, for 50k i would had set it up for the 335 sport line that would had ran around 47k. on anther note Audi is VW Acura is Honda Lexus is Toyota Benz is Benz and BMW IS JUST OLD PLAIN BMW

#52 ·
Yes, that is right. Starting from the base car of $32,000 and adding features - some that should be standard (decent headlights), to get the vehicle you want, need, or can(not) afford.

It is the case with most vehicles/brands. It gives you the consumer the ability to tailor the car to meet their budget, status, needs or wants.

Hardly ever is there an option to de-content a car from a base model. It I always adding features from the base model.

#85 ·
I have a nice dual income, in fact celebrating my wifes 30% bonus this week-she is a keeper!

I do not look for my 3 series to claim any kind of status. I don't need it too. I live in a development referred to as The Estates where I am the youngest by a decade and have no kids. My neighbors must laugh how we always have new cars, two of them BMWs and a Saab. But in northern NJ I just do not see the 3 as a status vehicle. It's entry level aspiration...I have a 3, someday I will have a 7 kind of thing.

I also have halogens. Could care less if that says I am poor to some other elitist. Would I like them to perform better? Yeah! Picking up a $250 HID setup from a local F30 guy for $80 lol.

I see all these posts that measure 3 sales and care if it slips, caring of who thinks what about their cars etc. Maybe I am the minority. I liked my car, I bought my car, don't care much about all this other Jr. High crap that comes with it. Owning an older BMW had been very free of this crap.

#86 ·
I see all these posts that measure 3 sales and care if it slips, caring of who thinks what about their cars etc. Maybe I am the minority. I liked my car, I bought my car, don't care much about all this other Jr. High crap that comes with it. Owning an older BMW had been very free of this crap.
Trolls/F30 haters/Non BMW owners. Remove them and you clean up 90% of the trash which ends up on this board. Literally 6 or 7 posters make most of this possible.

WTB more posts about the 328i performance exhaust, which sounds damn good by the way.

http://youtu.be/DkuFTpuHZH0

#89 ·
Just to get the thread back on topic....I have a loaner 2012 328i right now and drove it last night over a dark mountain road. Yeah, stock headlights are pretty bad. Luckily I have very good vision otherwise it would have been very difficult to see well. I have a 2013 328i sport on order and do wish (now) I would have purchased the lighting package.

#90 ·
Is it in production yet? Maybe you can still add it?
Now that you've seen what you would be getting talk to your CA and find out what your options are (maybe even re-order?, I am not sure if it is doable and how much of a jerk you are willing to be with you CA, but I guess you are not fully obligated to take delivery of the car. Maybe if the options you picked are common enough they are willing to keep the one you order and sell it of the lot, so you can re-order? But then again I might be pushing the enveloppe here).

#92 ·
I live in a mountainous area and the parts of this thread that are relevant to the topic are convincing me to get the Lighting Package. For the US market, where does High Beam Assistant fit in? Is it useful as offered now? Would it be if the European implementation were offered in the US for 2014? I'm particularly interested to know whether adaptive lighting makes it more appropriate to let the vehicle manage the high beams.

I can't believe how complicated it has become to spec a new car. So much for, "Any color you want, so long as it's black."

#93 ·
It's pretty sick.
I feel like I'm one of the few that accidentally got it in the 2012 MY...I love it late at night on empty stretches of the road. It's wicked tech.

#95 ·
Enjoy your ride!

#96 ·
Nick9597,
You will love your car! If you are disappointed with your lights adjust them up. I would like to hear if the people on this board tried this, if it fixed thier problem. I am perfectly satisfied now that I adjusted them. The factory must be setting them to low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.