BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Getting around in Munich

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  laser 
#1 ·
Just got married and will be picking up our new 535 as the starting point of our honeymoon trip throughout Europe! We are flying into Munich this Thursday evening and will be staying at the Four Points Sheraton Olympiapark (right by the Welt!). Just wanted some suggestions on how to get around. We will be getting the car on Friday morning. The plan is to hang around and check out Oktoberfest Saturday and leave late afternoon to Frankfurt, our next destination (I know, we should stay longer for Oktoberfest, but the wife isn't much of a beer drinker :dunno:).
We are planning on getting to the hotel via the train system. Would it be better to buy a 3 day City Tour Card for sightseeing throughout Munich those 3 days, or will we be able to drive (and park) around town? Some places we plan on visiting include: Marienplatz, Englischer Garten, Residenz Munchen, Thereisienwiese (for Oktoberfest), possibly Nymphenburg Palace....we are open to suggestions! Any idea of the cost vs. convenience of driving vs. public transportation? Any help would be appreciated!

#3 ·
Ron is, of course, correct, but possibly he is too suble here. DO NOT drive and park in or around central Munich. The public transit works well, is clean and well-marked, etc.

Make your first trip to Marienplatz in the city center. In addition to looking at the City Hall, etc., stop at the info booth located in the lower arcades that are entry to the S- and U-Bahn there. Get a small card with a system map. (Ask for "Schnellbahnnetz, bitte.") If you are willing to be a bit more adventurous, get the second map for the tram (streetcar) lines. (Ask for "Tramnetzplan, bitte.") The same tickets work for all lines, and there is an U-Bahn stop directly opposite the O'fest grounds.

#8 ·
The Deutchesmuseum is one of the best science museums in the world. I'll be visiting it again on my next ED.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.