BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Food tips in Bavaria?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  CTSoxFan 
#1 ·
Fellow festers,

I'll be heading out in a week for my first ED and looking for tips for food in Bavaria. I will be visiting Munich - 6 days, Nuremburg -1, Rothenburg 2, and Fussen 2. We will be going to
Zugspitze from Fussen.

I've read the travel advice for the local foods like wienerschniztel, sausages, pastries etc. But while I'm an adventurous carnivore the wife isn't exactly. She eats meat, but not with the same pleasure or scale as myself.

Regardless I'm looking for tips on good food in general doesn't have to be German, doesn't have to be vegetarian, are there any memorable places where you ate and would recommend, or recommend avoiding... casual to fine dining all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
The sausages (Wurst) are great everywhere as long as you don't think about what might be inside. I bet your wife will find them quite tasty. You'll get all-you-can-eat Weisswurst in the Welt lounge. It's a Munich specialty. Don't eat the skins or you'll be sorry. Instant gas. My wife and MIL are in love with Goulaschsuppe which is available in almost every restaurant you might visit. It's hearty and warms one up on a chilly day. She might also prefer the sweet white wines over the magnificent beers you'll be downing.

In Rothenburg avoid the Schneeballen. They look quite tempting but these pastries taste like stale donuts. Awful. Germany has plenty of fresh fruit and veggies. Farmer's markets are everywhere and their wares make for great picnic lunches between destinations.

In Munich we love the Augustinerbrau right in the pedestrian zone and near the Marienplatz. Reasonably prices with great beer and a nice menu of Germany dishes. Besides Wienerschnitzel, Zigeunertschnitzel, Rahmschnitzel, Munchnerschnitzel and Jagerschnitzel are also offered in many restaurants. Schnitzel just means "cutlet". Never had a bad one. Most are pork, but there are also veal, turkey and wild game Schnitzels. Maultaschen is German ravioli and one of my favorites. My daughter always orders Kaesespaetzle , noodles with cheese but way better than plain macaroni.

In the Fussen area we often head over to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and eat at Werdenfelsner Hof (http://www.werdenfelser-hof.de/). Authentic Bavarian food and free entertainment. It used to be hugely popular with American serviceman during the Cold War. Also reasonable priced with a varied menu. The innkeeper is a show in himself. Almost always drunk as a skunk but pouring out Schnapps to anyone who wants to try to keep up with him.

Further north in Oberammergau there are a number of atmospheric, woody Bavarian joints populated mostly by locals and military types attending the NATO school. We like Hasenbrau Gasthof Stern near Kathe Wohlfahrt's Christmas store.

Personally, I'd suggest getting out of Munich ASAP. Oktoberfest is amateur night. Mostly college kids making asses out of themselves. Not like it used to be. No respect for the neighborhood or the police trying to keep order. Go to Ft Lauderdale for Spring Break if you need that kind of hedonism. The best of Germany is away from downtown Munich. Why not head over to Salzburg/Berchtesgaden? Your wife will like the Sound of Music connection and maybe the Mozart stuff as well. You can visit the Hitler sights in and around Berchtesgaden. A boat trip across the Konigsee to the old monastery is peaceful and romantic. There are some amazingly beautiful and expensive hotels in the area or some really cheap Pensions and guest houses as well. I think it's the prettiest area in all Europe with some great nearly deserted roads for winding out the new car. On our last trip we discovered the joy and relaxation of thermal spas in the area. You can stay all day or just a few hours floating outside in hot spring water.

#5 ·
Go to Ft Lauderdale for Spring Break if you need that kind of hedonism.
Actually Fort Lauderdale has become quite civilized during Spring Break, but I know what you mean :angel:

I'm surprised you didn't mention Schweinshaxe Gluhwein, my must have dish when first arriving in Bavaria. It's a ham hock roasted to a wonderfully crispy skin and served with dumplings and marinated red cabbage or roasted potatoes.

So good :banana:

#6 ·
Any schnitzel!!!

#7 ·
21 years ago I had the most amazing rotisserie chicken in the world in Salzburg.

I've eaten in restaurants with multiple Michelin stars. 15 courses at the French laundry. And that simple roasted chicken is one of the finest meals of my 38 years on this planet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#8 ·
In some regards I guess I'm a bit like Mrs apcba; I'm not all that adventurous with what I stuff into my mouth. SJAPoc - Something about Schweinshaxe just doesn't appeal to me, but like everything else German I'd probably love it if I tried it. Your picture's incredible. And I'm talking about the beer of course.

Getting back to the original post - A nice thing about dining in Europe is that almost all restaurants post a menu outside. You can take a look to see if there's anything you'd like and get an idea of pricing. Most places we dine at don't have a maitre'd hovering about so you can usually just pop inside to check it out before making a commitment. Another nice idiosyncrasy of cheaper German restaurants is that the proprietor has no problem sticking other folks at your table after you've sat down and ordered. It can be annoying but usually it has led to some fascinating conversations with the locals who want to show off their command of English or with fellow tourists. The last time we ate in Hasenbrau Gasthof Stern in Oberammergau we were seated with two ex-Paras from the British army. A couple of beers soon had them telling tales of the war in the Falklands and Northern Ireland. Very cool.

#9 ·
If you want a change of pace one night, I would recommend going to Il Pescatore in Fussen. Great Italian food and reasonable prices (I think it was like 100 EUR for the 2 of us with a bottle of wine). I know you are in Bavaria, but we found it nice to change it up for a night after 4 days of typical German food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.