BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Who rides motorcycles around here?

34K views 105 replies 49 participants last post by  KarlB 
#1 ·
I grew up racing motocross....i've done a little street riding. I'm not a big fan of being on the freeway. :eeps:

I test drove a Can-Am Spyder today...

.....INteresting and fun...but not like riding a motorcyle at all.

A local dealer offered test rides. No motorcycle license needed in California. :thumbup:

It was a real kick to drive in a straight line and it hauled ass...but in the turns (especially the freeway connector) it felt as if it was trying to straighten out on you...even when you lean your body way over. Perhaps it would just take time to learn the riding style.

ON the freeway...it felt very stable and more "safe" than a two-wheeled bike. I hit about 80 on the freeway for a moment. Felt very strong.

http://spyder.brp.com/

Mostly, I've been tossing around the idea of getting a "cruiser" bike lately. Ever since I saw the Dark Custom series "Cross Bones" at a local Harley dealer, I just can't get it off my mind..

40's retro bobber style with a "springer" front end...

This is it...

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
You'd get great fuel economy, but like they said, you'll get sick of a 250 very quickly! I would look for a 600 in that price range. It won't throw you back in your seat, but you can also get up and move when you need to. My first bike was a 91 Honda CBR 600, great bike to learn on IMO.

To add to the thread, I'm picking up a bike this weekend, a Buell Firebolt Xb12R, I just have to settle on a color :)

#60 ·
I grew up racing motocross....i've done a little street riding. I'm not a big fan of being on the freeway. :eeps:

I test drove a Can-Am Spyder today...

.....INteresting and fun...but not like riding a motorcyle at all.

A local dealer offered test rides. No motorcycle license needed in California. :thumbup:

It was a real kick to drive in a straight line and it hauled ass...but in the turns (especially the freeway connector) it felt as if it was trying to straighten out on you...even when you lean your body way over. Perhaps it would just take time to learn the riding style.

ON the freeway...it felt very stable and more "safe" than a two-wheeled bike. I hit about 80 on the freeway for a moment. Felt very strong.

http://spyder.brp.com/
i saw one on the 401 2 weeks ago. looked interesting.... buy canadian! :thumbup: :rofl:

#80 ·
#84 ·
LTS insurance is not really expensive for bikes. I pay $40 a month for full coverage. And that is for a $10k bike. If you get a bike that is worth much less then that will also bring your insurance down.

If you get an old bike like that 250, you might even consider just putting liability on it and that will drop it even lower.

Good luck on your search. But just hurry and get it, summer time is here.:thumbup:

#85 · (Edited)
On insurance, I have been with State Farm since I was 16... 27 years. I now own a home and 4 vehicles, one being a bike. I have only great things to say about them. I pay about $55/month on the Harley, which is 13 years old and has over 100k miles on it. I have very good liability: 250k/500k and $500 collision deductible, $250 comp.

I've had 2 major motorcycle claims with them in this time. One was a theft back in 1995. My 6 month old bike was stolen. They paid me more than I had into it, which included all the mods I did. The 2nd was a crash 2 years ago, 11yo bike with 97k miles... they paid out $6k without a question. I feared they'd total her because of the amount, but the adjuster said "i've seen 2yo bikes that aren't this clean, i can't believe this bike is that old." and cut me a check a couple days later. I did the repairs myself.

Anyway, I've been on the receiving end of a Progressive claim that had personal injury as well as vehicle damage to repair. It was unpleasant. They played dirty on the personal injury stuff, even after accepting responsibility and paying out thousands in property damage. Even my buddy who's in the business of saving insurance companies money said they were out of line. I have felt the urge to kill a few times in my life, this was one I thought I'd go thru with it.

Do the MSF course. I did the "teach yourself" method, and tho I have tons of experience now, some hard experience, the MSF course is a great way to see if you're m/c material. Dropping someone elses bike is also a good way to experience that before you are in a real situation on the road.

I say use the bike for recreation only. I know no one who commutes with it that hasn't been involved in a crash caused by some nimrod not paying attention. I hate riding in traffic, it's exhausting. Being on the open road is the only way to enjoy it. I find inner peace every time I ride that way. In fact, I feel a "therapy" session coming on as I type this.

Good luck on your search. But just hurry and get it, summer time is here.:thumbup:
It's pretty much a 12 month riding season out here on the left coast. When I started back in 1994, I'd ride rain or shine every weekend. Now I prioritize based on temperature and fog density.

I'd suggest nothing smaller than a 600 for you LTS. I have a friend who started on an EX500 a while back. Did a 10k mile trip around the US after grad school on it. It was a bit small for him at 5-11 and 175 pounds, but it worked. He got a BMW GS1100 after that.

You need to respect the machine at all costs. A snafu in judgement on 2 wheels is a much bigger problem than when you're caged up on 4. Even smart attentive people have incidents, it just happens. That said, I'm pretty sure there's two ways I'll stop riding: 1) "they'll" pry the grips from my cold dead hands, 2) I'm too old to get my leg over the seat and keep the bike vertical when stopped.

I hope to have my current bike as my last bike too. I figure I have 30+ years of riding left in me.

#87 ·
It's pretty much a 12 month riding season out here on the left coast. When I started back in 1994, I'd ride rain or shine every weekend. Now I prioritize based on temperature and fog density.

I'd suggest nothing smaller than a 600 for you LTS. I have a friend who started on an EX500 a while back. Did a 10k mile trip around the US after grad school on it. It was a bit small for him at 5-11 and 175 pounds, but it worked. He got a BMW GS1100 after that.

You need to respect the machine at all costs. A snafu in judgement on 2 wheels is a much bigger problem than when you're caged up on 4. Even smart attentive people have incidents, it just happens. That said, I'm pretty sure there's two ways I'll stop riding: 1) "they'll" pry the grips from my cold dead hands, 2) I'm too old to get my leg over the seat and keep the bike vertical when stopped.

I hope to have my current bike as my last bike too. I figure I have 30+ years of riding left in me.
I forget where you guys are. :mad: Here in NY we only get a few months of riding in.

And i also agree with the 600 or better but if its only 1k he will spend on a bike thats not bad to learn. But i did mention that he WILL get sick of it quick.

And great point about respecting the bike. That is a MUST at all costs. Any stupid mistake and chances are it will be something serious, versus to a car that you are caged up.

#88 ·
I don't ride anymore, but I had a Honda Nighthawk (great beginner bike) and an Aprilia RS50...I affectionately called it my "Killer 'priller". Technically a scooter, but looked like a sexy sportbike. Very flickable.

My husband has a '95? Ducati 900SS and a BMW R1100, also '95 or maybe '96 model.

I guess in a way you could say they're mine, too. ;)

(I included pics of the umbrella girls at the '01 WSBK race in San Marino because I'm cool like that.)

Attachments

#89 ·
I don't ride anymore, but I had a Honda Nighthawk (great beginner bike) and an Aprilia RS50...I affectionately called it my "Killer 'priller". Technically a scooter, but looked like a sexy sportbike. Very flickable.

My husband has a '95? Ducati 900SS and a BMW R1100, also '95 or maybe '96 model.

I guess in a way you could say they're mine, too. ;)

(I included pics of the umbrella girls at the '01 WSBK race in San Marino because I'm cool like that.)
Nice bikes, and nice umbrella girls :)

#95 ·
Here's a pic of my 07 R1200RT - just bought a 530xi last week. This is my first BMW automobile and enjoying having a two wheeled BMW as well as a 4 wheeled version.

Best advice heard for a new rider here has been to buy a used dirt bike to learn on. I would suggest a dual sport (street legal dirtbike, maybe a 250cc model which is very common). It's not a glamorous ride but you will learn A LOT in the dirt and this will make you a much better rider on the hard stuff.

Insurance can be VERY afffordable or VERY expensive based on the type of motorcycle, your age and your driving record. I was able to insure the $20k brand new RT for a little over $400 a year with full coverage year round because i am over 40, I don't file insurance claims, I have a good driving record, high credit score and because people don't crash BMW's very often. 25 years old with a spotty driving record looking to insure a sport bike may pay $2000 - $3000 a year or more. Do your homework on this one.

MSF course is really a must for all new riders - your life is well worth it and it is more enjoyable to ride if you are skilled and confident.

Ride on my brothers....

Attachments

#98 ·
I ride! NH is great for riding!

As far as insurance, less than $500 for my 2 on-road bikes, a $25k Harley Road King Classic with 110 ci engine and lots of goodies and a 10 year old Honda VTR1000F. My classic 1957 is still being restored, so only have comprehensive on that for now.

#100 ·
R1150rt

Granted, motorcycling is right up there with skydiving in the danger department, but once bitten, you're smitten. Having been a rider for about 40 years, I've learned some valuable lessons, not the least of which is the fact that one never stops learning! On a lark, last summer I rode from Topeka, Kansas to Nashville, TN in the driving rain on my R1150RT. I half expected to wipe out at least once, but the bike's stability was rock solid the entire distance. I was obliged to swerve to avoid being eaten by an inattentive trucker, but the bike forgave my oversteer. It is the no. 1 police department choice worldwide because of its stability and sturdy construction. It won't do 150, but 135 is plenty fast if needed (realistically, when is that - ever?).

#104 ·
Ive been riding since I was 8 yo, 4 decades now and been fortunate enough to have owned some very fine bikes, here are a few of the many.

my current rides
2008 BMW K1200GT

2008 WR250R

2007 Aprilia RSVR Factory

and some past favorites
1994 Ducati 900SSCR

2001 Ducati 996

2007 BMW R1200GSA

2005 BMW K1200S

2004 Ducati 999

1999 BMW K1200RS and 2002 Honda RC51

a couple action shots

#106 ·
No maint on the bikes is pay as you go and I am sure the 6cykl 1600 will be higher than the 4cyl 12-1300 series bikes. I like the K1200GT alot for sport touring both solo and 2 up. It is a very squared away mile muncher than is still pretty dang fun when you get there!! Last trip I left Crockett,Tx (100 miles n of Houston) at 4am and by 5pm was in Chatanooga,TN. snagged a room and got up the next mornign and took back roads over to Deals Gap and played for a couple days over in that area (stayed at Fontana Village) and then threw the bags back on and headed back to Tx. about 2500 miles in 6 days and got home wanting to just keep going!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.