BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

spare for X1

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  GTony 
#1 ·
Its time for me to consider ditching the run flats for our new X1.
Spare ideas? I need something to put in the wayback.
Does the X1 come w/ a jack & tool kit ( My bad, wifes car,and sadly I have not looked yet)
Thanks all

#2 ·
No way I would run a car without a spare. Just looking at some of the remote roads I will be on this summer. It is over 100 miles to the next gas station, and they are NOT going to have a replacement tire. I suspect the closest replacement tire auto shop is at least 200 to 300 miles. Nice to know the run-flats will go about 50 miles.
And on my trip down south when I am planning to drive through the night, no way to get a replacement tire at 10 pm or 12 pm or 3 in the morning. What crap is this idea of not having a full size tire for an emergency. The person at BMW who recommended this should be shot.

#3 · (Edited)
Does the X1 come w/ a jack & tool kit ( My bad, wifes car,and sadly I have not looked yet)
Thanks all
If it has runflats, it will not have a jack and tool kit.

I have made a kit for my F30 (3 series). It's a full sized spare and everything new. See www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747801 I am merely waiting a few days for the tire rubber smell to decrease and will then be equipped with a spare when I choose to carry it.

You might also consider a compact donut spare. You could also consider a used wheel and used tire to cut costs. My original selection was a used tire that I bought for $6. I later decided on a new $300 tire because I found one for only $32. It was new, not aged, and being sold by a tire dealer that ordered one unusual tire and then had the customer cancel the order.

#6 ·
oh yes, the E90 spare will fit perfectly on the X1 - I forgot they have the same offsets.

I am going to conventional tires too as I find the RFT too bouncy and rough. Having Auto Club (AAA),
But I will carry a can of FIX A FLAT as well as a compact spare just in case***8230;.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
The above hi was just to see if a Post Quick Reply was working because I typed a long comment earlier that bimmerfest told me to register 1'st. That was lost and hi was accepeted. I will now try again.
My 225/50/17 B/Stone RFT have 32,000 Km's and getting close to replace. I have 18"rims from USA and will put Non R/Flats on. Short Story - After 12 on Saturday you can't replace a RFT. SO-If you are travelling and a fair distance from Major Towns you could be looking at 2 nights accommodation, lose of work Monday, AUD $500 BMW Replacement Tyre or $380 from Tyre Place. My tyre would have to come from Only Warehouse that has them. If not available would be looking at buying 2.
I priced Space Saver AUD $680 from BMW AUST. ex Germany and USA $250 + $300 Freight. My concern is I haven't come across if a Space Saver can be used again and again. If it cant, a RFT is hard to get where would one get a S/Saver Tyre.
I tried my old scissor jack and it wouldn't lift the car. Purchased 2000 Kg Hydraulic Jack which fits in R/Side hole at boot and wife can easily operate. Got 4 way nut/bolt remover for better grip.
Now thinking of Cheap light alloy rim and tyre to suit Running Diameter of new 18"rim and tyre.
Everything depends on our own circumstances and we have to really think about every circumstance.
The BMW Thinking Department must have been on holidays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.